United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Well, I can't be arsed to have a Rooney debate, all I can say is we must have been watching a different player these last 5 years.
Not quite sure why you have so little faith in him
Who are you "pinning your hopes on" then?

Rooney has a good playing relationship with a lot of the United lads - Scholes, Giggs, Park, Carrick etc.. Tevez & Ronaldo before they left.

Rooney could play with anyone because he understands the game better than most. He certainly understands the pace & feel of a game better than anyone of his age that I've ever seen.

Anyway, if I start praising Rooney too much I'll be jumped on by Throb, Marlo & co. who will tell me why I'm so very wrong to rate our best player so highly

Football's a game of opinions Saint
you live in a fantasy - why on earth would i give a stuff if you worship Rooney?

the idea that Ronaldo wasn't the best player in the world while he was at United is ridiculous though, it should go without saying

Rooney has his chance to step up now so let's see if he can do it for the whole season eh.

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:33 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He really wasn't MJ. And I think you are pinning your hopes on the wrong guy. As good as he is, his level will remain much the same as the last 2 years, he has always been very good, and don't expect him to suddenly make 'his best position' his own, either.

What you need to hope is that there is a player at the club capable of getting the best out of Rooney as a team mate in the way Ronaldo did.

That's not to say Ronaldo made him a better player, but he knew how to play to Rooney's strengths. There hasn't been much evidence of anyone being anywhere near the same level of understanding with Rooney so far.
I wonder if Ronaldo will miss Rooney at Real? Did bring the best out of each other

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
I wonder if Ronaldo will miss Rooney at Real? Did bring the best out of each other
correct. a point most people seem to overlook in their petty squabbling on the subject.

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:40 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
correct. a point most people seem to overlook in their petty squabbling on the subject.
Not at all.
I've said on here many times that they brought the best out in eachother.
I think their combination play & understanding, particuarly between 2006 & 2008 was some of the best football I've ever seen at United.

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:43 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Absolutely. I was watching 'Premiership Years 2006/07' today...felt gutted knowing I wouldn't be able to watch the two of them combining to tear up the League anymore

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:45 PM
celtbion

Thumbs up

Quote:
Sounds good.
Fingers crossed he turns out to be a great player.

Wazza will provide the genius & creativity mind you, don't worry about that.
If he can (touch wood) manage an injury free season he'll more than make up for Ronaldo leaving.
Rooney was our best player whilst Ronaldo was at the Club & he'll remain our best player

Spot £#%&!ing On.

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:49 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
you live in a fantasy - why on earth would i give a stuff if you worship Rooney?.
Yes. I do live in a bit of a fantasy world.
A full time dreamer.
And yes, I do worship Rooney

Quote:
the idea that Ronaldo wasn't the best player in the world while he was at United is ridiculous though, it should go without saying.
Game of opinions mate.

Quote:
Rooney has his chance to step up now so let's see if he can do it for the whole season eh.
Indeed.
If he stays free of his annual '8-weeks or so' on the treatment table I think he'll score 25+ goals & will continue to be a fantastic player for Manchester United.

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:52 PM
JakeB

You just know that Ronaldo wouldn't even consider it, the idea that he will miss Rooney in a playing sense...be interesting to see how he settles at Real.

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:53 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Absolutely. I was watching 'Premiership Years 2006/07' today...felt gutted knowing I wouldn't be able to watch the two of them combining to tear up the League anymore
Bolton at home a couple of seasons ago summed them up

Unread 05-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Aloe Blacc

One of the few benefits to losing Ronnie is the fact that Rooney has now the opportunity to become the focal point of our attack, he is a very complete player who could become even better when everything around him is built to suit him.

It would be great if he elevated his status in the game further, everyone knows hes already a top player and still only 23.

Unread 06-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Tumescent Throb

it is indeed a game of opinions, and the opinions of virtually everybody were the same, hence all the individual awards that went with all the trophies and all the goals - and the world record transfer fee.

Rooney can't hide behind injuries forever. can't keep saying "if only"

and quite why you thought this

Quote:
was aimed at you is anybody's guess

it's funny but you seem to be agreeing with those saying we probably won't win anything for the next 2 seasons (wishing chelsea and the continental giants step up in our absence). and at the same timing saying that you think we weren't a one man team and that we'll be fine. and that Rooney will score 25 goals now that Ronaldo has gone. and amongst all that you're still hoping for a marquee signing to save us now that Ronaldo has gone.

i think you're a bit confused tbh

Unread 06-07-2009, 01:01 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Rooney can't hide behind injuries forever. can't keep saying "if only"
I don't think Rooney hides behind injuries at all
He's won practically every honour in the game & is adored by United fans & funnily enough England fans too (who usually hate 'Man U' players)
I doubt very much he has cause to say "if only" very often.
In terms of his injuries, well I make it that he's had one injury free pre-season with us - the summer of 2007 - & then he went & broke his foot on the opening day against Reading.
He's consistently been injured around the start of every campaign & usually at the mid-way stage too.
Hopefully he'll grow out of these niggling little injuries & get a run of good luck.

Quote:
it's funny but you seem to be agreeing with those saying we probably won't win anything for the next 2 seasons (wishing chelsea and the continental giants step up in our absence). and at the same timing saying that you think we weren't a one man team and that we'll be fine. and that Rooney will score 25 goals now that Ronaldo has gone. and amongst all that you're still hoping for a marquee signing to save us now that Ronaldo has gone.

i think you're a bit confused tbh

No.
I think because it's unlikely that we'll bring anyone else in that our bench will be quite weak/inexperienced for next season at least.
That's the reason I think we might struggle at key times.

Rooney will be a key player next season & I think he will score more goals, but without Tevez & Ronaldo he won't have much in the way of help/back-up.

Hoping for a marquee signing isn't the same as expecting one.

I don't think I'm confused at all to be honest

Unread 06-07-2009, 05:32 AM
bcred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
agreed.

we need someone who can score goals from midfield imo.
That I agree with wholeheartedly,our production from mid has been poor,apart from the Portugese bloke that just left us.

Unread 06-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Sandman

I expect us to win the treble next season.

Unread 06-07-2009, 07:34 AM
borsuk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
I expect us to win the treble next season.
i think the media would go into apoplexy

Unread 06-07-2009, 09:04 AM
dunk

Quote:
Well, I can't be arsed to have a Rooney debate, all I can say is we must have been watching a different player these last 5 years.
Not quite sure why you have so little faith in him
Who are you "pinning your hopes on" then?

Rooney has a good playing relationship with a lot of the United lads - Scholes, Giggs, Park, Carrick etc.. Tevez & Ronaldo before they left.

Rooney could play with anyone because he understands the game better than most. He certainly understands the pace & feel of a game better than anyone of his age that I've ever seen.

Anyway, if I start praising Rooney too much I'll be jumped on by Throb, Marlo & co. who will tell me why I'm so very wrong to rate our best player so highly

Football's a game of opinions Saint
I'm afraid you need to be a touch more objective and get a grip on your mancrush tbh.

I expect Rooney to be as excellent as ever, possibly a little better, I hope he avoids injury too. But the fact remains that you can't rely on one player, you need another one or two to hit the heights in conjunction with Rooney, as Ronaldo, Saha (to a lesser extent), Tevez and others also have. It is worth nothing those 3 are no longer here. So he needs to build relationships with our better forward and have players step up.

Hence the comment about pinning your hopes on Rooney. It's the rest you need to worry about.

Unread 08-07-2009, 05:33 PM
JakeB

Spanish website 'Terra.es' is breaking the news that Eto'o is finished at Barca and is joining United. They seem to be quite sure of it

Unread 08-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Spanish website 'Terra.es' is breaking the news that Eto'o is finished at Barca and is joining United. They seem to be quite sure of it
proper modern gossip that

ahem

Unread 08-07-2009, 05:42 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
proper modern gossip that

ahem
Sadly not. Your's is true I expect, this one's %@#$&!s
Closed Thread