Unread 02-12-2008, 04:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stuarte
About 3 more ?

Despite what many of you may think

Ibrahimovic plays in a shit league

That may sound controversial but when you think about it - its true
The coverage of Serie A in this country over the last couple of years has been limited, to say the least. Now it's not even broadcast in England. So either you really go out of your way to watch this shit league, or you don't actually know what you're talking about.

Unread 02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
For me, Senna should have been much higher up. Was instrumental for Villarreal last season, when they had a fantastic season and managed to finish second in La Liga, and was the best player at the Euros. Would certainly have put him above Xavi and Gerrard, myself.

The total absence of Rio is a complete joke as well, even if his absence is explainable for tactical reasons. Incidentally, one thing I've found is that the Spanish don't rate him at all. Most of them seem to be of the opinion that Vidic is the superior player, and by some margin too. Very strange.
The Spanish haven't a £#%&!ing notion.

The arrogance about the strength of their league in the face of all evidence to the contrary is a good thing for the Premiership however. Helps to ensure the status quo will remain for some time yet.

Unread 02-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Don Stuarte

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
The coverage of Serie A in this country over the last couple of years has been limited, to say the least. Now it's not even broadcast in England. So either you really go out of your way to watch this shit league, or you don't actually know what you're talking about.
Well, lets have a look shall we

Firstly, ask yourself why "coverage of Serie A in this country over the last couple of years has been limited, to say the least"

Perhaps beacause its a shit league eh ?

Secondly, according to this list there are only 3 of the top 25 players in the world playing in Serie A

8th Kaka (AC Milan)
9th Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan)
18th Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)

Compare that to

England - Home of 3/4 of the Semi's of the Champions League

1sh Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester Utd)
3th Fernando Torres (Liverpool)
10th Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
12th Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal)
13th Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
15th Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
19th Michael Ballack (Chelsea), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
21st Didier Drogba (Chelsea), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United)
24th Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United)

Spain - The home of 1/4 of the Semi's of the Champions League and the country Ruud score his goals in

2th Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
4th Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)
5th Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona)
7th David Villa (Valencia)
11th Marcos Senna (Villarreal)
14th Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid)
17th Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona)
21st Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
24th Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid)

All the Italian sides were swept aside with relative ease by English clubs.

The only facts I couldnt argue against are that Roma knocked out Real last year and that Juve have already dicked them twice this season. Other than that its pretty obvious that Serie A is pretty inferior to the big two leagues.

Certainly wouldnt suggest I am an expert on Serie A but Ive seen enough of their teams to know what I am talking about to a certain level.

I never told you to take your Zlatan poster down so relax - I just said he and his league are shite

nft

Unread 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Certainly wouldnt suggest I am an expert on Serie A but Ive seen enough of their teams to know what I am talking about to a certain level.
From the sound of it, you've just watched a few Champions League games and based the strength of the entire league on that. I don't think anyone would doubt that it is currently behind the Premiership and La Liga, but although I haven't watched enough Serie A over the last couple of years to offer a truly well-informed opionion, I doubt it is weak to the extent that Zlatan's achievements should be downplayed. Roma have struggled badly in Serie A, yet still managed to thrash Chelsea. Roma, Inter and Juve are all top of their Champions League groups and the three Uefa Cup teams are doing well too.

Unread 02-12-2008, 05:38 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
its gerrard innit

Unread 02-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
to be fair Betfair show 5 or 6 Serie A games every weekend

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Don Stuarte

Quote:
From the sound of it, you've just watched a few Champions League games and based the strength of the entire league on that. I don't think anyone would doubt that it is currently behind the Premiership and La Liga, but although I haven't watched enough Serie A over the last couple of years to offer a truly well-informed opionion, I doubt it is weak to the extent that Zlatan's achievements should be downplayed. Roma have struggled badly in Serie A, yet still managed to thrash Chelsea. Roma, Inter and Juve are all top of their Champions League groups and the three Uefa Cup teams are doing well too.
Not at all.

I am taking into account all the factors I mentioned in the previous post

ie.

Number of "Top Players"
Teams performance in Champions League
Worldwide Interest
Domestic Interest

One doesnt need an encyclopaedic knowledge of a particular league to know it is inferior.

Seems you just want to make out I am some know nothing gobshite but I used to love the Italian League and like a lot of lads my age, I watched it every week - it doesnt take a genius to work out that they dont have the calibre of player they once had.

Anyway, I know £#%&! all apparently, so as you were.

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Grimson

I hate the term "shit league." It gets thrown around here a lot. There's a difference between acknowledging, accurately, that Serie A is no longer as good as the Premier League or La Liga, and saying it is a shit league. It's obviously not a shit league.

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:13 PM
S/Side.Red

Well this:

Quote:
One doesnt need an encyclopaedic knowledge of a particular league to know it is inferior.

it doesnt take a genius to work out that they dont have the calibre of player they once had.
Is not the same as:

Quote:
Ibrahimovic plays in a shit league
If you'd said it was a weaker league I would have probably made a different argument.

Quote:
Seems you just want to make out I am some know nothing gobshite
No, but when you say "Despite what you lot think..." and then follow it with utter drivel, it's hard to ignore.

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Don Stuarte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I hate the term "shit league." It gets thrown around here a lot. There's a difference between acknowledging, accurately, that Serie A is no longer as good as the Premier League or La Liga, and saying it is a shit league. It's obviously not a shit league.
Whilst the term shit is a bit strong - My original point was that its is very much inferior.

I think the fact Ibrahimovic is thriving there proves that as imo the guy if £#%&!ing gash.

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

I'm glad the Italian league is not-quite-at-the-level-it-used-to-be-but-is-not-shit-even-though-the-standard-has-dropped-but-only-if-you-look-at-it-from-the-outside. I don't like the way they play football.

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Don Stuarte

Quote:
Well this:

Is not the same as:

If you'd said it was a weaker league I would have probably made a different argument.

No, but when you say "Despite what you lot think..." and then follow it with utter drivel, it's hard to ignore.

You are obviously not familiar with the mock bravado that is very common on here.

FACT

NFT

See - I did it again

Unread 02-12-2008, 07:28 PM
History

Gerrard over Rooney Rio not even in there. Crap list stupid award. I

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:47 PM
jem

Default some of you

seem to be taking this golden balloon thing a little seriously.

you probably love the oscars, too. and eurovision.

ibrahimovic is shite. anyone who says otherwise is a £#%&!wit.

Unread 02-12-2008, 11:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
seem to be taking this golden balloon thing a little seriously.

you probably love the oscars, too. and eurovision.

ibrahimovic is shite. anyone who says otherwise is a £#%&!wit.
How are you enjoying Berbatov?

Unread 03-12-2008, 01:08 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
How are you enjoying Berbatov?
a bit lazy against city. otherwise, he has slotted in very nicely without actually being a goal threat. silky, but milky.
Closed Thread