United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-09-2018, 03:52 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Does Zidane not scream making the same mistake again? Going for the greatest available name, hoping that some part of their star quality will rub off on the team? Best squad in the world while at Madrid, didn't change much in their style of play or create an identifiable style of his own.

Pocchetino is the best candidate for me, developed players, worked on a small budget, makes his team more than the sum of their parts. Hasn't won anything which is a worry but the standard of work he has done at Southampton and Spurs is impressive.
We won’t get Pochettino. Levy wouldn’t let him go and we’re a poison chalice now anyway; he’d be better off staying put. Even if you went for a lesser known name that was a better coach than Zidane, are the board really going to give him so much power that he can bin any of the instagram gang that simply don’t listen to him? We’d be better off making Pogba player-manager.

Unread 29-09-2018, 03:56 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
We won’t get Pochettino. Levy wouldn’t let him go and we’re a poison chalice now anyway; he’d be better off staying put. Even if you went for a lesser known name that was a better coach than Zidane, are the board really going to give him so much power that he can bin any of the instagram gang that simply don’t listen to him? We’d be better off making Pogba player-manager.
Thing is, hilariously enough, given the mindset of the modern #@&%! footballer, they’d probably be in awe of Zidane. Certainly the French lads would.

Zidane managed the biggest egos in the world at Madrid, so that wouldn’t be an issue. The main problem is that most of our players aren’t of the calibre he’s used to dealing with.

Unread 29-09-2018, 03:59 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Thing is, hilariously enough, given the mindset of the modern #@&%! footballer, they’d probably be in awe of Zidane. Certainly the French lads would.

Zidane managed the biggest egos in the world at Madrid, so that wouldn’t be an issue. The main problem is that most of our players aren’t of the calibre he’s used to dealing with.
If I thought he knew enough about our shit@#%&!s not to give them all a fresh start it might be worth a go. As it is they’ll get him tinned too.

Unread 29-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
I think Pogba has to go. Simply can't establish(or further the already building idea) Utd as a club where the manager is less important than the star players. Especially not a player like Pogba who is desperately inconsistent of form, application and attitude. Mourinho was right this week when talking about Pogba, he is not the type of leader most clubs need, great talent, no doubt a great guy to be around, but again, it is that idea of the club becoming a circus. Pogba as the face of the club helps that idea.

Pogba might be important to the board in terms of marketing value but the needs of the team surely have to come into the thought process. The club is a comedy act/soap opera at the moment.

This is all the fruit of how poorly the club approached the Ferguson retirement, panic stations, no strategy, identify the wrong managers, players and characters.

Caretaker until the end of the season, Giggs is probably looking for a way out of the Wales job right about now, his chance is probably gone though.

Unread 29-09-2018, 04:03 PM
MagnificentSeven

would take him as interim manager until the end of the season. can't do any worse than we are now.

Unread 29-09-2018, 04:04 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
If I thought he knew enough about our shit@#%&!s not to give them all a fresh start it might be worth a go. As it is they’ll get him tinned too.
He might not know enough about them but as a bloke who's operated at the very top of the game in his footballing and managerial career, they can sure separate the wheat from the chaff.

Now the question again falls to our transfer overlords up in the boardroom, are they willing to make the amount of changes that would be needed to turn this bunch of £#%&!ers in challengers again?

Unread 29-09-2018, 04:12 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

Said it earlier in the week. You get Zidane in and see the difference in Martial and Pogba...

Unread 29-09-2018, 04:14 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Said it earlier in the week. You get Zidane in and Martial and Pogba and notice the difference...
Because they're all French?

Unread 29-09-2018, 04:15 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Because they're all French?
Hes a legend ffs. They would want to play for him. And, yes, helps he is French.

Unread 29-09-2018, 04:18 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
I'll wait for Saffers to reserve judgement on Zidane before making a decision.

There's a team in this squad, someone somewhere has to get a tune out of it.
As I said I am ready to justify Zizous headbuttt on Materazzi if he becomes our manager etc.

But I am cautious while Woodward is at our club and wields so much influence over footballing decisions/transfers. He has played a huge role in the sackings of our 3 managers post-fergie. Even Moyes who ended up out of his depth and a fool was severely hamstrung. Who knows what he would have done at United had he gotten his targets and got off to a good start. He did some decent work at Everton, at times playing good stuff.

Woodward is poison. Even someone who won the champions league 3 years in a row would fail under this guys leadership.

Unread 29-09-2018, 04:22 PM
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
As I said I am ready to justify Zizous headbuttt on Materazzi if he becomes our manager etc.

But I am cautious while Woodward is at our club and wields so much influence over footballing decisions/transfers. He has played a huge role in the sackings of our 3 managers post-fergie. Even Moyes who ended up out of his depth and a fool was severely hamstrung. Who knows what he would have done at United had he gotten his targets and got off to a good start. He did some decent work at Everton, at times playing good stuff.

Woodward is poison. Even someone who won the champions league 3 years in a row would fail under this guys leadership.
Spot on tbh

Unread 29-09-2018, 05:00 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Caretaker until the end of the season, Giggs is probably looking for a way out of the Wales job right about now, his chance is probably gone though.
Has he been doing that badly? Genuine question btw, no idea of their recent results.

Unread 29-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Has he been doing that badly? Genuine question btw, no idea of their recent results.
No, but I was thinking that he might still believe he has a chance to get the Utd job and with Mou on the edge and the difficulty in getting Poch...

Unread 29-09-2018, 05:59 PM
AK14

Quote:

Yep...

Players have stopped playing for Mou and it’s obviously time he goes tbf...

But I genuinely can’t see much changing long term as long as that bloke is making the football decisions.

Says it all the way he’s handling the current situation. Obviously wants Mou gone, but looks like he’s willing to write off a season just so he can save a few quid in Mous sacking (when 4th is mathematically gone like under Moyes)

Unread 29-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Clownbones

Zidane would be a £#%&!ing disaster.

Doing well with Real Madrid is like playing a video game

He'd be £#%&!ing lost here. He'd be stood the touchline with that dumb look on his face without a clue what to do with the plethora of shit@#%&!s he has to work with when he's given 2 of the 8 new players he asked.

He doesn't know the league. He's never had to struggle. He's just a name and available. That's it. And that's the attitude that has got us here five years after Fergie.

Apart from suddenly getting performances out of martial and pogba on no other basis than the fact they're French, what exactly would we anticipate he would do well here?

We need Jose gone. Nothing personal, Just no point carrying on the wave of negativity. The season is already a write off - earlier than any season before and the football is absolutely £#%&!ing disgusting. I hate watching us. Hate it.

Get a caretaker in who loves the club. Someone to bring a degree of identity and positivity back through at least £#%&!ing caring. Giggs, Butt, Carrick. Whoever. It doesn't matter. Season is dead and we're not going down.

From there, get woodward out or move him back in with Gary in admin or whatever he did before.

Decide where we want to go. Bring Back the identity of the club or be ruthless and win. Because you can't have both. At least not at first.

If it's the former, be prepared to be patient and take the hit on things like CL qualification. Leave them to it.

If it's the latter, give them money. Give all and everything they want. If they don't deliver, sack them. And quickly. Real Madrid and Chelsea both do and remain successful.

In five years we've tried various combinations of all of the above to form some sort of hideous cocktail we've all had to down.. And now we're staggering about pissed.

Moyes was just a lazy complacent appointment

Lvg was the best appointment we made. Somebody with a good combination of style, experience and ego. But when he didn't meet the required standards we abandoned everything he tried to implement and the whole idea of him.

In Jose, we went the devil's route. We know you don't suit us....we know you're toxic.... But just win for us..... he did..... then he stopped and now they don't like him and won it back him. He's a cheque book manager. Give him what he asks for. Don't hire him and then expect him to change. I don't begrudge him for that.

And here we are. The sum of all our confused, arrogant and disorganised approaches since Fergie left. We've been a mess and we are a mess.

I hate what we've become.

Unread 29-09-2018, 06:46 PM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Yep...

Players have stopped playing for Mou and it’s obviously time he goes tbf...

But I genuinely can’t see much changing long term as long as that bloke is making the football decisions.

Says it all the way he’s handling the current situation. Obviously wants Mou gone, but looks like he’s willing to write off a season just so he can save a few quid in Mous sacking (when 4th is mathematically gone like under Moyes)
I'm hoping that this is why Woodward has said that he is taking a step back and appointing a director of football. I can't see the Mourinho situation being resolved before the new guy is appointed.

Unread 29-09-2018, 07:05 PM
utd99

Quote:
He might not know enough about them but as a bloke who's operated at the very top of the game in his footballing and managerial career, they can sure separate the wheat from the chaff.

Now the question again falls to our transfer overlords up in the boardroom, are they willing to make the amount of changes that would be needed to turn this bunch of £#%&!ers in challengers again?
Kenny Dalglish operated at the very top of the game, both as player and manager, and he bought Andy Carroll. Current United and Madrid of four years ago could not be more different in terms of squad quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Said it earlier in the week. You get Zidane in and see the difference in Martial and Pogba...
Complete speculation. What happens the first time he gives them a %@#$&!ing?

Unread 29-09-2018, 07:07 PM
andyroo

Maybe Zidane can be this director of football we all crave rather than a supercoach?

Unread 29-09-2018, 07:08 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:

Ah the old Woodward discussion.

Funny how he’s only been a problem when Mourinho didn’t get his latest expensive toys isn’t it? Remind me again who gave him a new deal after flirting with PSG (who never wanted him) just in January? Why get into bed with someone again when he’s a useless @#%&!? Hmmm.

I suppose the manager will look back to last summer when he didn’t get Persic because the club didn’t think he was worth the daft money Inter wanted. Still how did it work out buying Sánchez (similar age) a player the manager wanted? Hmmm.

Then there’s this summers defender shambles, the same Maguire who went for peanuts last summer when we bought Lindelof. Again big bad Ed for not buying him last summer when the manager wasn’t interested until this summer. I suppose he handled it well did Mourinho, put the club first.. hmm.

This isn’t the cool thing to say, but Woodward should be disapointed as the fans he backed him, and it’s never been good enough. He’s made mistakes in the past but no manager has had more backing post Ferguson than Mourinho.

Unread 29-09-2018, 09:42 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Ah the old Woodward discussion.

Funny how he’s only been a problem when Mourinho didn’t get his latest expensive toys isn’t it? Remind me again who gave him a new deal after flirting with PSG (who never wanted him) just in January? Why get into bed with someone again when he’s a useless @#%&!? Hmmm.

I suppose the manager will look back to last summer when he didn’t get Persic because the club didn’t think he was worth the daft money Inter wanted. Still how did it work out buying Sánchez (similar age) a player the manager wanted? Hmmm.

Then there’s this summers defender shambles, the same Maguire who went for peanuts last summer when we bought Lindelof. Again big bad Ed for not buying him last summer when the manager wasn’t interested until this summer. I suppose he handled it well did Mourinho, put the club first.. hmm.

This isn’t the cool thing to say, but Woodward should be disapointed as the fans he backed him, and it’s never been good enough. He’s made mistakes in the past but no manager has had more backing post Ferguson than Mourinho.
Spot on.

Woody isn't the problem. He's backed Mou like he backed LVG. Woodward isn't the reason why the squad hates Mourinho and aren't playing for him...
Closed Thread