United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Weren't West Ham trying to get Bacca last summer?
There isn't a striker in the world who West Ham haven't tried to sign

Unread 28-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Weren't West Ham trying to get Bacca last summer?
Went up in smoke that one apparently

Unread 28-06-2017, 07:24 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
more importantly we could ask how and why you keep getting the oxygen needed to live
At least he isn't gav81, eh?

Unread 16-07-2017, 10:06 PM
Chris Quayd

Biglia and Bonucci confirmed, looks like Renato Sanches heading there too. The epic arse-seeing when we didn't drop £70m quid on him

Unread 16-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Biglia and Bonucci confirmed, looks like Renato Sanches heading there too. The epic arse-seeing when we didn't drop £70m quid on him
Milan have basically bought an entire new team for £160 million. It is still a vast sum of money but it really shows the insanity of the PL prices. Must be celebrations in the boardroom when an English team comes calling.

Unread 17-07-2017, 02:15 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Milan have basically bought an entire new team for £160 million. It is still a vast sum of money but it really shows the insanity of the PL prices. Must be celebrations in the boardroom when an English team comes calling.
Andrea Conti, Lucas Biglia, Mateo Musacchio, Ricardo Rodriguez, Hakan Calhanoglu, Franck Kessie, Fabio Borini, Leonardo Bonucci and Andre Silva - They'll improve Milan for both a Serie A/Europa campaign but if any of the top 6 in England dropped their warchest on those there would be plenty of questions asked.

There is an intoxication to spending big money in the Premier League but it was no different in the late 90's pomp of Serie A where everyone was throwing hundreds of millions at players with no thought of building a team and most won very little. Inter managed one title challenge in over a decade and somehow finished 8th with a team containing Ronaldo, Baggio, Simeone and Zanetti.

Unread 17-07-2017, 06:45 AM
gbmufc

AC Milan close to landing Real Madrid’s Morata

Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata looks set to become the latest big name to join AC Milan. The Rossoneri have been very busy so far this summer, signing several new faces including Leonardo Bonucci from Juventus.However after CEO Marco Fassone made it clear on Sunday that Milan will add another player in attack, La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that More...
by Adriano Boin | Published 25 mins ago

Unread 17-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Mr_Ed

£61m apparently - seems odd we didn't go given we paid more for Lukkers

Unread 17-07-2017, 09:37 AM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
The fee would probably have been higher for us

Unread 17-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Madrid have £#%&!ed themselves by being greedy. They have a player now who wants out and the big money offer has disappeared.

Unread 17-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
The fee would probably have been higher for us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Madrid have £#%&!ed themselves by being greedy. They have a player now who wants out and the big money offer has disappeared.
I would say both of those are accurate. Madrid were always going to spank us for as much as they could get away with, fortunately we had either a different priority or a plan B depending on who you believe.

The way mourinho was talking the other day though it sounded liike he wanted both I find that unlikely. If true, it does mean we could have another big name forward signing on the horizon.....

Unread 18-07-2017, 01:30 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Andrea Conti, Lucas Biglia, Mateo Musacchio, Ricardo Rodriguez, Hakan Calhanoglu, Franck Kessie, Fabio Borini, Leonardo Bonucci and Andre Silva - They'll improve Milan for both a Serie A/Europa campaign but if any of the top 6 in England dropped their warchest on those there would be plenty of questions asked.

There is an intoxication to spending big money in the Premier League but it was no different in the late 90's pomp of Serie A where everyone was throwing hundreds of millions at players with no thought of building a team and most won very little. Inter managed one title challenge in over a decade and somehow finished 8th with a team containing Ronaldo, Baggio, Simeone and Zanetti.
Agree with this. It's same old from Milan tbh. No real creativity or design to their spending - they're just going around taking many of the nearly men who threatened to get a big move but it didn't quite happen. I'd always be worried about the hunger of such players. Bonucci an obvious exception and a great deal for them, albeit more about Juve forcing him out than anything.

As you say, disparity in spending has always existed. It's just that English clubs are now at the top end. Notable difference here is that while it used to be Italian or Spanish clubs spending huge and signing the very top players in the world, it seems that English clubs are smashing the market for relative mediocrity.

Unread 18-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Baron

They're borrowing from some mad Chinese hedge fund at mental rates as well.

They'll be £#%&!ed in 2 years if there's no change in Italian TV money a la the PL.

Unread 18-07-2017, 02:27 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I think the big difference back then was that Italian clubs were out on their own financially. Now with Juve, Bayern, Madrid and Barca also paying high-end money or thereabouts the very top players have a choice.
True, although I think there is a fear even within those huge clubs that the English money is going to be a problem in the coming years. Probably need to see more impact from Premier League clubs in the Champions League before it progresses to late 90s Serie A levels though. Right now the English clubs offer the money, but not the glory in Europe.

Unread 18-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
True, although I think there is a fear even within those huge clubs that the English money is going to be a problem in the coming years. Probably need to see more impact from Premier League clubs in the Champions League before it progresses to late 90s Serie A levels though. Right now the English clubs offer the money, but not the glory in Europe.
Agreed, but I don't see English clubs dominating the Champions League any time soon, conversely I think the amount of money and the fact it is distributed throughout all 20 teams (in contrast to Serie A back then which was concentrated among 6/7 clubs) means that the league is much tougher to win and leaves English clubs stretched for a PL/CL campaign. It's not the only factor but can't be a coincidence that Juve/Bayern/Madrid/Barca could get top 4 in their respective leagues playing their reserves.

Unread 18-07-2017, 02:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Agreed, but I don't see English clubs dominating the Champions League any time soon, conversely I think the amount of money and the fact it is distributed throughout all 20 teams (in contrast to Serie A back then which was concentrated among 6/7 clubs) means that the league is much tougher to win and leaves English clubs stretched for a PL/CL campaign. It's not the only factor but can't be a coincidence that Juve/Bayern/Madrid/Barca could get top 4 in their respective leagues playing their reserves.
Would surely make the league more attractive for players. English football already has the prestige and the culture. Money added now which is in stark contrast to twenty years ago. But what the Premier League also badly needs is Manchester United back leading the way. If we can do that and help return the competitiveness in Europe, I can see this league really becoming the centre-point.

Pogba to United over Real due to financial muscle felt a game-changer for me.

Unread 18-07-2017, 03:03 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Would surely make the league more attractive for players. English football already has the prestige and the culture. Money added now which is in stark contrast to twenty years ago. But what the Premier League also badly needs is Manchester United back leading the way. If we can do that and help return the competitiveness in Europe, I can see this league really becoming the centre-point.

Pogba to United over Real due to financial muscle felt a game-changer for me.
Until we saw him play

Unread 18-07-2017, 03:04 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Until we saw him play
Yep. Awful player.

We had a shit season too. Just the 3 cups. Worthless cups though. We need to be like liverpool, city and spurs.

Unread 18-07-2017, 03:07 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Yep. Awful player.

We had a shit season too. Just the 3 cups. Worthless cups though. We need to be like liverpool, city and spurs.
Whereas Real Madrid etc

Unread 18-07-2017, 03:10 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Whereas Real Madrid etc
They are winning european cups as a result of years of them winning paul pogba, david de gea style transfer battles.

As siders says, last summer signified a shift. If a Neymar suddenly becomes avaliable, you know where he'll end up. And it's not Real.

Griezmann was only gonna go one place this summer.

Game has changed buddy.
Closed Thread