United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:23 AM
BarryX

Default Do we need a back up for Zlat?

Or can we rely on Rooney or Rashford (possibly Martial) to step up as the main centre forward, should the big man get injured?

Looking at the state of the table at the time of posting, our 'goals for' column is considerably weaker than anyone else in the top six and I'd question: Rooney's fitness and ability to operate up top, on his own; Rashford's experience (asking too much of him, too soon); and Martial's goal scoring record.

If so, who could he get in?

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:27 AM
Bunker Buster

Absolutely nothing wrong with rooneys fitness.
Buy Defoe....

It's a tricky one...we have the numbers for back up, but would the bring the number of gols that Zlatan brings....

It's too much of a risk to bring in an unknown striker..I'd like a bit more pace, but I feel we're covered ok for now..

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:30 AM
elephantstone

they should rest Zlatan this Saturday as he looked a bit done in at West Ham. I think we have adequate cover. Rashford and Martial both look sharp.

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Clarkie

Rest him Saturday anyways

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:36 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Absolutely nothing wrong with rooneys fitness.
Buy Defoe....

It's a tricky one...we have the numbers for back up, but would the bring the number of gols that Zlatan brings....

It's too much of a risk to bring in an unknown striker..I'd like a bit more pace, but I feel we're covered ok for now..
Was thinking Defoe would be an ideal option, not that he'd come cheap. It's a tricky one, and a decision that needs to make economic sense for those crunching numbers at the club. Forget about the dream of competing with Chelsea for this year's title, we really do need to finish in the top four. Love Rashers, think Martial is a sublime talent, but not an out and out forward, and just don't think Rooney's 'got it' like he used to.

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:37 AM
itisme_panaflex

he's irreplaceable in the current set up.

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Crumps

Has only missed 18 games through injury in his career apparently. Man is a £#%&!ing beast. Used to think he was an absolute dick and no better than Berbs. Haven't been more wrong since Nigel Reo Coker.

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:47 AM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Has only missed 18 games through injury in his career apparently. Man is a £#%&!ing beast. Used to think he was an absolute dick and no better than Berbs. Haven't been more wrong since Nigel Reo Coker.
what about Thomas Gravesen?

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:48 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
and Scott "Scotty" Parker?

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Was thinking Defoe would be an ideal option, not that he'd come cheap. It's a tricky one, and a decision that needs to make economic sense for those crunching numbers at the club. Forget about the dream of competing with Chelsea for this year's title, we really do need to finish in the top four. Love Rashers, think Martial is a sublime talent, but not an out and out forward, and just don't think Rooney's 'got it' like he used to.
Not 'having it' is debatable to lead the line...his fitness however is one of the best in the squad.

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisme_panaflex
he's irreplaceable in the current set up.
This really. I think Jose brought him in for this season, knowing he's still got 'it', and purely with the aim of getting top 4 or better.

I am absolutely convinced that there is a plan in place, if not already executed, to bring in a top forward player (for example, Griezmann), to essentially 'replace' what Zlat is doing this season. He won't be out of the setup entirely next year but will take a step back inevitably due to his age.

It's obvious Jose does rate Martial and Rashford - who are the obvious immediate replacements - but neither are suited to being up top in our current system with the way we play. Martial for me has more potential to play that role (Rashford is still way too young) on a consistent basis, but he's not there yet and who else is there?

Next year, ideally for me, will see a forward line of:

Martial/Rashford - Griezmann - Mkhitaryan/Lingard/Mata

Defoe is a fine player but not a long term solution, and I don't believe we need anyone before the end of the season.

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Wasn't really mad on him. Seriously thought NRC was gonna be a super star though. I'm not even googling who he plays for now, probably Prestwich Heys ffs.

Unread 05-01-2017, 10:08 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Not 'having it' is debatable to lead the line...his fitness however is one of the best in the squad.
Is it? I honestly have no idea.

Given a choice of whether you'd play him or Rashford as a centre forward, though, I'd be picking Rashford every time. And is Rashford ready to be the main man, should Zlat's incredible injury free career take a nosedive?

Unread 05-01-2017, 10:24 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Wasn't really mad on him. Seriously thought NRC was gonna be a super star though. I'm not even googling who he plays for now, probably Prestwich Heys ffs.
Currently has no club - was released by Montreal Impact last year

Unread 05-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
So he has previous as an impact sub......

(I'll close the door)

Unread 05-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Sweet Jesus.

Look like he'd be something special when he was at Wimbledon.

All down hill after the Crank that video he did with Anton Ferdinand that Soulja Boy didn't use cos he didn't know who threw were.

Unread 05-01-2017, 11:09 AM
elephantstone

Quote:
at the time it was all about replacing what seemed irreplaceable Roy Keane. I dont think we ever did though.

Exciting times at the moment

Unread 05-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Crumps

Quote:
at the time it was all about replacing what seemed irreplaceable Roy Keane. I dont think we ever did though.

Exciting times at the moment
We didn't, we evolved and Carrick became just as instrumental to the tempo the team played. There are very few box to boxers anymore now, good at tackling, tactically aware and can play a bit, you're a defensive mid. It's why there's a drought of ball playing centre halves too.

Unread 05-01-2017, 12:20 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
I'll take a walk up Tamworth Avenue for you and check next time they're playing

Personally I'd say Rooney is most suited to the role depending on his fitness but I'd rather see Martial or Rashford there. Sounds odd but Sir Bob's record remaining intact until the end of the season would be hilarious.

Unread 05-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
I'll take a walk up Tamworth Avenue for you and check next time they're playing

Personally I'd say Rooney is most suited to the role depending on his fitness but I'd rather see Martial or Rashford there. Sounds odd but Sir Bob's record remaining intact until the end of the season would be hilarious.
Just looked at their website. Only two from my age group are a coach and Paul Tierney ffs. Getting old.
Closed Thread