United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-07-2016, 12:27 AM
Buck

I listened to 5 live's reaction show the other night.

That Henry Winter is a pompous #@&%!.

"The players were warned. Humble journalists like myself and Neil Ashton told them to look out for the long throw, it's Rory Delap"

Unread 03-07-2016, 02:01 AM
Stickman

Times subscribers should go and read Hammans article on English football and the youth especially. He nails it imo and they could do with stopping giving them big contracts before 21-22.

I'll paste it in later...

Edit

Times is subscription only.

The FA does not need experts in cycling, rugby union and table tennis to advise it on why a bunch of footballers are so hapless at tournaments. The FA just needs to confront the reality that England are held back by deficiencies in technique, education and tactical awareness, by the failure to make wages more performance-related, by multiple issues in academies and the inability of the FA and Premier League to work in harmony.
Judging by the noises emanating from St George’s Park and Wembley, it sounds like the FA consults everyone from every sport when the governing body would find more enlightenment by talking to Didi Hamann, a World Cup finalist and one of the shrewdest observers of the English scene. Germans have that “tournamentality”, that knowledge of how to last long in competitions.
Hamann has huge affection for his adopted homeland from his time at Newcastle United and Liverpool in particular. It pains him to see England’s travails and the recent struggles of club sides in the Champions League.
“English football has become a laughing stock in continental Europe, not only England, but also the Premier League,” Hamann said. “People in Germany ask me ‘What’s happening with the Premier League?’ You see no teams in the Champions League final [since 2012] for all the money they’ve spent on players. The feeling in Germany is ‘Come on! At some stage you’ve got to realise something’s gone wrong, something needs to give.’
“I’m not sure how much the Premier League and FA care about the other, which doesn’t help. If the national team gets knocked out early in tournaments on a regular basis surely it can’t help the Premier League?
“There are wages being paid in the Premier League that can take the edge off players. Even if they don’t play well, they always get paid. The power has been taken away from clubs and managers. The power is with the players. The player’s above the law, they can do what they want, they have no responsibilities. If the players don’t change or if we let them get away with things or put them on a pedestal, how do you expect leadership if you haven’t got any responsibility?”
England players would contest the suggestion that they are in the comfort zone but they certainly lacked fight against Iceland in the country’s greatest footballing nadir in its history. England have never looked so far off winning a trophy at a time when the players have never been richer.
“If I look at the England players, the last one of the old [hungry] mould is Rooney and maybe he’s about to finish in one or two years,” Hamann said. “Look at Theo Walcott or Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, these are good lads, but it [the wealth] takes something away from them. They come into an environment where ‘the power’s with us.’ ”
The FA’s outgoing chairman, Greg Dyke, was presented with a plan last year about introducing trust funds for young players but failed to take it up. Some of the wiser clubs, such as Southampton, keep players hungry with more performance-related deals but more clubs need to follow suit.
“They have to start giving players incentives because the wages can take the edge off players,’’ Hamann said. “In Germany, a young player would never be offered a guaranteed contract because it’s irresponsible. If he doesn’t perform, doesn’t improve, doesn’t develop as well as he should do, then he shouldn’t earn top dollar.
“If you play for Bayern Munich you’ll have incentive-based contracts and Bayern are the best [in Germany at paying]. There are other clubs where wages are based even more on appearances and bonuses. Kids of 18, 19, 20 develop better in Germany or Spain than here.
“I do not worry only about England. I also worry for the Premier League clubs because these wages have given power to the players and led to a vacuum of leadership in English football.” Managers are constrained. “Louis van Gaal goes to Manchester United with a huge reputation and players say things, ‘The training’s not right.’ Hodgson goes to England and players say things. ‘Get on with it,’ I’d say.
“But you can’t discipline a player these days. If you play in Germany, you get reminded every single week of the responsibilities you’ve got towards the club, the fans and the whole organisation.
“When I was doing my Pro Licence, I spoke to a Premier League manager and asked him, ‘Why don’t you pay players on performance?’ He said ‘The PFA won’t allow it.’ I said to him ‘What the f*** has it got to do with the PFA? It’s your chairman’s money.’ This was the day when I knew the Premier League and the national team were in trouble.”
The 42-year-old watched aghast at the stumbling and humbling of Roy Hodgson and his players in France, although he was not surprised. “Roy’s the fall guy, gets all the flak and he probably didn’t help but I don’t think the manager’s the problem. People have to realise there are deep-lying problems. If they think everything will be good if they put somebody like José Mourinho into that job then they’re going down the wrong alley.
“Things have to change. If you look at the tactical ability of the players, England are behind most countries. The football in the Premier League is different to the one played in continental Europe [prizing possession more]. When you go to a tournament, it’s more football played like in Europe.”
Hamann’s tactical nous shone through in the 2005 Champions League final when introduced at half-time, anchoring Liverpool’s midfield against AC Milan and allowing Steven Gerrard to go buccaneering forward. It was almost a snapshot of English and German footballing natures: instinct and intelligence.
“Youth development’s an issue too. English players have to improve technically if they want to stand their ground in tournaments.” The wretched sight of the ball being given away frequently was a painful memory of England’s exit in Nice.
When Rooney, Joe Hart and Raheem Sterling step back into the Premier League from August 13, the FA fears that they will be get the “you let your country down” treatment.
“People in England are p***** off,’’ Hamann said. “England fans are p***** off because the team’s underperforming.
“Many fans of most teams — well, maybe not Leicester fans — are p***** off because they can’t go to the games any more because they can’t afford the tickets. The only ones laughing are the players and the agents. It’s a poisonous scenario. Football should bring football together. You see the Ireland fans and Northern Ireland fans laughing with the French police and it’s heart-warming. This is what football should be about. In England, football divides.”
Prolonged schooling could help. Germany, the masters of “tournamentality”, reached the 2002 World Cup final in Yokohama with one of the least technically gifted, but brightest collection of players in Die Mannschaft history. “I’m not sure how many players in 2002 had their Abitur [akin to A-levels] but they were [intelligent],’’ Hamann said.
At some German clubs, under-19s do 34 hours a week at school, compared with nine in England, although some like Marcus Rashford study hard for their A levels. Rashford is rare. Most aspiring international players in England cannot wait to escape the classroom.
The Germans are more aware of the world. I interviewed Hamann shortly after he joined Newcastle from Bayern in 1998 and he had already been exploring, visiting Hadrian’s Wall and Bamburgh Castle. Many of the Germans seem more rounded individuals, embracing the world, rather than being in fear of it or too aloof as the English can be.
The Spaniards, too. Juan Mata has degrees in marketing and sports science. Andrés Iniesta has studied sports science. Rooney’s probable new team-mate, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, the Armenia player, studied business administration while at Shakhtar Donetsk.
“You have to educate players,’’ Hamann said. “In Germany it’s school and then we play football. A good education means they’re better prepared once they do make it.” They can deal with agents, understanding contracts better, and not falling for tax schemes that have proved so costly for many English players.
“Academies wreck childhoods. Football should be about enjoying your football, not training with a Liverpool or Manchester United crest on when you’re ten or 11. Football should start when you’re 17, 18. When I was at Stockport [County, as manager] I saw 14-year-olds coming in at ten, 11 in the morning twice a week and training. I said, ‘What the hell are they doing here? Go to school, do your exams.’ ’’
Hamann is interested in resuming his managerial career, after a difficult time at Stockport. “Rafa [Benítez] asked me to be his assistant at Newcastle which I turned down with a heavy heart.” He wants to be his own boss, shaping a team’s destiny and making players better. As Hamann awaits the right opportunity, the FA should seek his advice.

Unread 03-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Spock

good article that...

Unread 03-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Red Al

Players like sterling,Rodwell,Wright Phillips,Adam Johnson etc.etc.are a fine example of the article.
I.e. Got the big contract and in their heads they've made it and there is no need to improve themselves.
Rooney on the other hand still seems hungry and trying to put a shift in even though he is clearly on the wane.( no pun intended)

Depay should have been English as he fits the overhyped,bling wearing, Facebook shit @#%&! perfectly

Unread 03-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Times subscribers should go and read Hammans article on English football and the youth especially. He nails it imo and they could do with stopping giving them big contracts before 21-22.

I'll paste it in later...

Edit

Times is subscription only.

The FA does not need experts in cycling, rugby union and table tennis to advise it on why a bunch of footballers are so hapless at tournaments. The FA just needs to confront the reality that England are held back by deficiencies in technique, education and tactical awareness, by the failure to make wages more performance-related, by multiple issues in academies and the inability of the FA and Premier League to work in harmony.
Judging by the noises emanating from St George’s Park and Wembley, it sounds like the FA consults everyone from every sport when the governing body would find more enlightenment by talking to Didi Hamann, a World Cup finalist and one of the shrewdest observers of the English scene. Germans have that “tournamentality”, that knowledge of how to last long in competitions.
Hamann has huge affection for his adopted homeland from his time at Newcastle United and Liverpool in particular. It pains him to see England’s travails and the recent struggles of club sides in the Champions League.
“English football has become a laughing stock in continental Europe, not only England, but also the Premier League,” Hamann said. “People in Germany ask me ‘What’s happening with the Premier League?’ You see no teams in the Champions League final [since 2012] for all the money they’ve spent on players. The feeling in Germany is ‘Come on! At some stage you’ve got to realise something’s gone wrong, something needs to give.’
“I’m not sure how much the Premier League and FA care about the other, which doesn’t help. If the national team gets knocked out early in tournaments on a regular basis surely it can’t help the Premier League?
“There are wages being paid in the Premier League that can take the edge off players. Even if they don’t play well, they always get paid. The power has been taken away from clubs and managers. The power is with the players. The player’s above the law, they can do what they want, they have no responsibilities. If the players don’t change or if we let them get away with things or put them on a pedestal, how do you expect leadership if you haven’t got any responsibility?”
England players would contest the suggestion that they are in the comfort zone but they certainly lacked fight against Iceland in the country’s greatest footballing nadir in its history. England have never looked so far off winning a trophy at a time when the players have never been richer.
“If I look at the England players, the last one of the old [hungry] mould is Rooney and maybe he’s about to finish in one or two years,” Hamann said. “Look at Theo Walcott or Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, these are good lads, but it [the wealth] takes something away from them. They come into an environment where ‘the power’s with us.’ ”
The FA’s outgoing chairman, Greg Dyke, was presented with a plan last year about introducing trust funds for young players but failed to take it up. Some of the wiser clubs, such as Southampton, keep players hungry with more performance-related deals but more clubs need to follow suit.
“They have to start giving players incentives because the wages can take the edge off players,’’ Hamann said. “In Germany, a young player would never be offered a guaranteed contract because it’s irresponsible. If he doesn’t perform, doesn’t improve, doesn’t develop as well as he should do, then he shouldn’t earn top dollar.
“If you play for Bayern Munich you’ll have incentive-based contracts and Bayern are the best [in Germany at paying]. There are other clubs where wages are based even more on appearances and bonuses. Kids of 18, 19, 20 develop better in Germany or Spain than here.
“I do not worry only about England. I also worry for the Premier League clubs because these wages have given power to the players and led to a vacuum of leadership in English football.” Managers are constrained. “Louis van Gaal goes to Manchester United with a huge reputation and players say things, ‘The training’s not right.’ Hodgson goes to England and players say things. ‘Get on with it,’ I’d say.
“But you can’t discipline a player these days. If you play in Germany, you get reminded every single week of the responsibilities you’ve got towards the club, the fans and the whole organisation.
“When I was doing my Pro Licence, I spoke to a Premier League manager and asked him, ‘Why don’t you pay players on performance?’ He said ‘The PFA won’t allow it.’ I said to him ‘What the f*** has it got to do with the PFA? It’s your chairman’s money.’ This was the day when I knew the Premier League and the national team were in trouble.”
The 42-year-old watched aghast at the stumbling and humbling of Roy Hodgson and his players in France, although he was not surprised. “Roy’s the fall guy, gets all the flak and he probably didn’t help but I don’t think the manager’s the problem. People have to realise there are deep-lying problems. If they think everything will be good if they put somebody like José Mourinho into that job then they’re going down the wrong alley.
“Things have to change. If you look at the tactical ability of the players, England are behind most countries. The football in the Premier League is different to the one played in continental Europe [prizing possession more]. When you go to a tournament, it’s more football played like in Europe.”
Hamann’s tactical nous shone through in the 2005 Champions League final when introduced at half-time, anchoring Liverpool’s midfield against AC Milan and allowing Steven Gerrard to go buccaneering forward. It was almost a snapshot of English and German footballing natures: instinct and intelligence.
“Youth development’s an issue too. English players have to improve technically if they want to stand their ground in tournaments.” The wretched sight of the ball being given away frequently was a painful memory of England’s exit in Nice.
When Rooney, Joe Hart and Raheem Sterling step back into the Premier League from August 13, the FA fears that they will be get the “you let your country down” treatment.
“People in England are p***** off,’’ Hamann said. “England fans are p***** off because the team’s underperforming.
“Many fans of most teams — well, maybe not Leicester fans — are p***** off because they can’t go to the games any more because they can’t afford the tickets. The only ones laughing are the players and the agents. It’s a poisonous scenario. Football should bring football together. You see the Ireland fans and Northern Ireland fans laughing with the French police and it’s heart-warming. This is what football should be about. In England, football divides.”
Prolonged schooling could help. Germany, the masters of “tournamentality”, reached the 2002 World Cup final in Yokohama with one of the least technically gifted, but brightest collection of players in Die Mannschaft history. “I’m not sure how many players in 2002 had their Abitur [akin to A-levels] but they were [intelligent],’’ Hamann said.
At some German clubs, under-19s do 34 hours a week at school, compared with nine in England, although some like Marcus Rashford study hard for their A levels. Rashford is rare. Most aspiring international players in England cannot wait to escape the classroom.
The Germans are more aware of the world. I interviewed Hamann shortly after he joined Newcastle from Bayern in 1998 and he had already been exploring, visiting Hadrian’s Wall and Bamburgh Castle. Many of the Germans seem more rounded individuals, embracing the world, rather than being in fear of it or too aloof as the English can be.
The Spaniards, too. Juan Mata has degrees in marketing and sports science. Andrés Iniesta has studied sports science. Rooney’s probable new team-mate, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, the Armenia player, studied business administration while at Shakhtar Donetsk.
“You have to educate players,’’ Hamann said. “In Germany it’s school and then we play football. A good education means they’re better prepared once they do make it.” They can deal with agents, understanding contracts better, and not falling for tax schemes that have proved so costly for many English players.
“Academies wreck childhoods. Football should be about enjoying your football, not training with a Liverpool or Manchester United crest on when you’re ten or 11. Football should start when you’re 17, 18. When I was at Stockport [County, as manager] I saw 14-year-olds coming in at ten, 11 in the morning twice a week and training. I said, ‘What the hell are they doing here? Go to school, do your exams.’ ’’
Hamann is interested in resuming his managerial career, after a difficult time at Stockport. “Rafa [Benítez] asked me to be his assistant at Newcastle which I turned down with a heavy heart.” He wants to be his own boss, shaping a team’s destiny and making players better. As Hamann awaits the right opportunity, the FA should seek his advice.
Stopped reading after 1st couple of lines . No doubt there are other issues but the biggest issues are that the English players don't enjoy playing for their country in the same way most other nationalities do. They are loaded with baggage & pressure from the media who big them up only to gleefully cut them down & the fans aren't much better, partly due to the media hype . No other country has fans that hate players so much based on their club . Sterling is a prime example , he had a poor tournament but didn't deserve the hatred & abuse he got . His crime, leaving Liverpool for bigger money at City. This kid was one of the few bright spots from Brazil 2 years ago , he played with a fearless exuberance similar to the way Rashford plays . Now, he is so bereft of confidence he struggles to even pass the ball 5 feet . England don't need a manager, they need a psychologist. The longer we fail the bigger the pressure will be . I would rather see a team of players from championship clubs go to Russia [ if we qualify] , no expectations, no baggage .

Unread 03-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
Stopped reading after 1st couple of lines . No doubt there are other issues but the biggest issues are that the English players don't enjoy playing for their country in the same way most other nationalities do. They are loaded with baggage & pressure from the media who big them up only to gleefully cut them down & the fans aren't much better, partly due to the media hype . No other country has fans that hate players so much based on their club . Sterling is a prime example , he had a poor tournament but didn't deserve the hatred & abuse he got . His crime, leaving Liverpool for bigger money at City. This kid was one of the few bright spots from Brazil 2 years ago , he played with a fearless exuberance similar to the way Rashford plays . Now, he is so bereft of confidence he struggles to even pass the ball 5 feet . England don't need a manager, they need a psychologist. The longer we fail the bigger the pressure will be . I would rather see a team of players from championship clubs go to Russia [ if we qualify] , no expectations, no baggage .
You can't blame sterling for a better payday elsewhere but posting pictures of you mansion while the nation team he was part of has just been humiliated in a football tournament just smacks of "I don't give a £#%&!"

Unread 03-07-2016, 10:28 AM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Al
You can't blame sterling for a better payday elsewhere but posting pictures of you mansion while the nation team he was part of has just been humiliated in a football tournament just smacks of "I don't give a £#%&!"
More tabloid bollox from what I heard. The house was apparently for his mother . The kid has made mistakes , but he wasn't helped by Liverpool who were every bit as bad as his agent last year in negotiating his deal. All he asked for was parity with Sturridge & even Hodgson threw him under the bus when he went public claiming Sterling said he was too tired to play for England when what Sterling said was that he felt heavy legged . Utd fans should know more than anyone how @#%&!y the press & English fans get toward certain players

Unread 04-07-2016, 09:58 AM
TheFatGoth

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foot...1.html#gallery

Quote:
I have managed more Premier League games than anyone else apart from Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger but I won’t be holding my breath for a phone call. Maybe my opinion won’t be the one they want to hear.

I would tell them there are plenty of young, talented English guys out there who want the opportunity and they should give one of them the chance.

But you can’t expose a young manager to one of the most pressurised jobs in world football on their own. Put an older head in there to give them guidance and take some of the heat off. I’d love to do it. The chances of it happening are very slim, I know that.
Quote:
People said I was a serious contender in 2012 and I would have loved to have had the job but I don’t have anything against Roy Hodgson (left) at all. He got it and I always wished him the best. I’m not vindictive, I don’t hold grudges. I had a good job managing Tottenham and at the time it wasn’t the end of the world for me.
Quote:
I would have picked different teams to start with. I would have persevered with Ross Barkley and even thrown him on against Iceland the other night.
At half-time, I’d say to him: “Okay, I didn’t start you but now’s your chance. Come out here, change this game for us. We need to show what you can do — you are different class. Run the game, cement your place in the team and take us into the quarter-final.” Hopefully Barkley would feel 10ft tall.

Unread 04-07-2016, 10:05 AM
irk

"having said all that, Ross, you maybe wondering why I didn't start you..."

Unread 04-07-2016, 10:14 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Ross Barkley, England's saviour

Unread 04-07-2016, 10:17 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Ross Barkley, England's saviour
Has to have been a better option that Wilshire ffs

Unread 04-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
footballer's are £#%&!ing thick though.

Unread 04-07-2016, 11:18 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk

Unread 04-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Has to have been a better option that Wilshire ffs
Not nearly enough was made of that selection tbh. Just sends the completely wrong message to players on the verge of breaking into the fold. His place was guaranteed seemingly and he's just not good enough to have that kind of dispensation.

Unread 04-07-2016, 11:44 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Not nearly enough was made of that selection tbh. Just sends the completely wrong message to players on the verge of breaking into the fold. His place was guaranteed seemingly and he's just not good enough to have that kind of dispensation.
It was a £#%&!ing awful decision to take him. He shouldn't have been anywhere near the squad having played about 3 times all season and having not completed 90 minutes in 2 years. Disgraceful. As for bringing him on at H/T when a goal down in a knockout game It wouldn't be so bad if he was actually that £#%&!ing good when fit, but he's not.

Unread 04-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
I literally saw no hatred of sterling and heard none either. I heard some people saying he played shit though.

the players are yet to £#%&!, I agree with you there. the problem is that they believe in the media coverage and aren't educated to avoid courting it. the relationship between the country and the media is a problem in general - it goes with territory Is a popular way ofooking at it. but why does it? why should it? why do people buy papers whose coverage they are apparently derisory of?

ps I. Have no idea how auto text got to "yet to £#%&!" but I'll leave it.

Unread 04-07-2016, 04:13 PM
red in cumbria

Sterling got a fair amount of abuse post-exit from the Scum and other "newspapers".
Closed Thread