United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Well if it's any consolation at least World War 2 has thought us all that colonisation and annexing soverign countries is not cool and will come back to bite arses. Pity that lesson wasn't learnt earlier on though wasn't it?

I mean, what the £#%&! were you @#%&!s playing at? Putting your clammy hands on everyone elses shit for hundreds of years.
If De Velera wasnt such a #@&%! star Ireland would be a united Ireland. Churchill would have rewarded his loyalty, but no, @#%&! face 'sided' with Hitler, a decided to stay neutral

Unread 02-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
If De Velera wasnt such a #@&%! star Ireland would be a united Ireland. Churchill would have rewarded his loyalty, but no, @#%&! face 'sided' with Hitler, a decided to stay neutral
Well I was only joking but, I'm afraid you're wrong about Churchill giving him back the north. No chance. It was just an empty promise he made in order to gain control of the ports. There is no way the North would have accepted it.

And as much I don't like the man, he didn't side with Hitler, he just sent a letter of condolence to Berlin as some stubborn attempt to appear neutrel to the end.

Unread 02-04-2007, 03:48 PM
dodger

Quote:
And as much I don't like the man, he didn't side with Hitler, he just sent a letter of condolence to Berlin as some stubborn attempt to appear neutrel to the end.
He didn't send a letter (i don't think the post in europe was very reliable at the time), he signed a book of condolence at the German embassy.

Unread 02-04-2007, 03:51 PM
1MUFC

It was good for national pride.

Unread 02-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
He didn't send a letter (i don't think the post in europe was very reliable at the time), he signed a book of condolence at the German embassy.
You're wrong, he send an e-condolence and bcc'd [email protected] just out of spite.

Whatever he did, he hardly sent troops over to help out at Leningrad.

Unread 02-04-2007, 04:19 PM
tatty

I've had the 'pleasure' of spending many months in the Falkland Islands (9 to be exact). One thing stood out about the local population and that was their complete conviction in the right to self-determination and for them that meant remaining British.

Taking out the political element (and god knows i'd rather be justifying Thatcher/FI than Blair/Iraq) then it boils down to whether we should abandon our own citizens in the face of aggression from a foreign power.

For me it is right to defend our own soil and our citizens rather than abandoning them through fear and cowardice.

Unread 02-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
You're wrong, he send an e-condolence and bcc'd [email protected] just out of spite.
i love you, fuzzy.

Unread 02-04-2007, 04:25 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
For me it is right to defend our own soil and our citizens rather than abandoning them through fear and cowardice.
As long as their military isn't as strong as ours of course.

Unread 02-04-2007, 04:30 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I've had the 'pleasure' of spending many months in the Falkland Islands (9 to be exact). One thing stood out about the local population and that was their complete conviction in the right to self-determination and for them that meant remaining British.

Taking out the political element (and god knows i'd rather be justifying Thatcher/FI than Blair/Iraq) then it boils down to whether we should abandon our own citizens in the face of aggression from a foreign power.

who chose to live 8,000 miles away from the motherland, and out of reach from the policies that were destroying communities

look at an atlas

the malvinas are south american

our colonial theft has no place in modern society ( despite thatcher saying there is no such thing)

Unread 02-04-2007, 04:36 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
who chose to live 8,000 miles away from the motherland, and out of reach from the policies that were destroying communities

look at an atlas

the malvinas are south american

our colonial theft has no place in modern society ( despite thatcher saying there is no such thing)
The argentinians never tried to colonize them. The French and the Brits did.

EDIT: My point being (which I forgot to make) is that we didn't steal it from anybody as there was nobody there before us. There is thought to have been no indigenous population before French and English colonies were established.
Closed Thread