United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
No, if Chelsea are as bad next year they'll struggle to finish fourth. Saw all the sides in action on Saturday and even losing 4-1, Arsenal have much better footballers than Chelsea.
Well I'm not sure. If Chelsea are as bad next year then Liverpool and Arsenal won't get near them then either. And with a bit of extra psychological damage inflicted by Chelsea this season it could carry over to next - and give us the jump on them both next Autumn again, so it would be all good. As long as Chelsea don't actually go and win the CL. Then again, rather them than the scousers.

Unread 02-04-2007, 11:58 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfusilier
Worry about our form, and at present there is not much to worry about.
I'm with mj.

we will play glorious football for most of our games, but then lose a couple and fall apart. chelsea will plough on being slightly better than shite and picking up points. it will be horrible.

or, of course, we could hand them a footballing lesson with the title already wrapped up. I had us drawing with blackburn and still winning the league by 14 points. that might even have been with a draw at chelsea. :0)

they don't have any easy games left (west ham, maybe) - they can't keep playing like they are and winning. whereas we can only choke on the games we have left. apart from chelsea, no one else has any real credibility. not everton. not £#%&!ing city. and not portsmouth either. we have no excuse for not winning it. chelsea may raise their game against better opposition, including us, but we shouldn't lose a game.

if only football were actually like that.

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:11 AM
celtbion

If I were Roman Abramovich, I would be seriously pissed off with my team being that £#%&!ing dull. This is the man who got into football after watching Utd vs Real Madrid reputedly.

Mourinho's gone in the summer and without his steadying hand on the tiller, they will have to disassemble this side of grafters and athletes and start nearly from scratch again.

It's much harder to get a technical, attack-minded team firing on all cylinders than one based on a lot of running and set-pieces, as Arsene Wenger has found this year.

Abramovich will want Chelsea to play Utd and Arsenal at their own game and that will take a few years and even more money.

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Tropical

Default I suspect

your overestimate Abramovich.

Or at least, that you overestimate his appreciation of football as a game, rather than as a device for moving money about, or a device for ruthless victory, or both.

You're thinking about what you, or I, or almost any United fan, would want if we were him. But if we were him, we wouldn't be us. If you see what I mean.

Crushing the life out of the opposition and grinding your way to the top is - his history would suggest - Abramovich's thing.

Metaphorically speaking, of course.

<gulp>

*changes name, address and face*

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:30 AM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical

Or at least, that you overestimate his appreciation of football as a game, rather than as a device for moving money about, or a device for ruthless victory, or both.

You're thinking about what you, or I, or almost any United fan, would want if we were him. But if we were him, we wouldn't be us. If you see what I mean.

Crushing the life out of the opposition and grinding your way to the top is - his history would suggest - Abramovich's thing.

<gulp>

Yes, but he's not in this for the profitability, he's in it for the reflected glory. A successful but unloved team doesn't give him much. What he wants is to be hailed as the man who brought a famously gifted European Cup winning side to London.

One suspects.

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Tropical

Default Well, who knows.

One might as well try to read the mind of a shark through its dead black eyes.

But going on actions alone, I'm guessing that if triumphing in the Beautiful Game, rather than grabbing all the silverware in the vicinity by whatever means possible, were Abramovich's aim, his choices for Chelsea manager would not have been Eriksson, followed by Mourinho.

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:45 AM
silv

Quote:

<gulp>

thats a sensible post because looking at the way he has put Chelsea together, he is happy for a quick fix. Happy to spend as much as it takes to buy and not interested in the beauty of the game, just in getting results as quickly as possible.

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:46 AM
celtbion

Quote:
One might as well try to read the mind of a shark through its dead black eyes.

But going on actions alone, I'm guessing that if triumphing in the Beautiful Game, rather than grabbing all the silverware in the vicinity by whatever means possible, were Abramovich's aim, his choices for Chelsea manager would not have been Eriksson, followed by Mourinho.
Is he even making these decisions though? Sounds like he has a cabal of "advisers" on board at Chelsea. They might just be anxious that he got a winning side for his roubles first and foremost. Perhaps that's not quite all he had in mind.

Unread 03-04-2007, 01:28 AM
jem

Default one thing is for sure

chelsea have not spent his money wisely. they have not been out and bought the best players in the world. there was no quick fix. maybe because no one was interested.

no one who knew anything about football would have got mourinho in to build a team that would excite. all that shows is that roman didn't know anything about football except who was getting results.

Unread 03-04-2007, 01:57 AM
armchair

white elephant.

Unread 03-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Ether

He didn't even sign Cech. If I remember correctly he signed a contract in the January, just didn't make the move until the summer.

Unread 03-04-2007, 01:59 AM
armchair

I bet you he goes to sleep thinking "I should have bought Man United."

Sheva would've got a hundred playing for Fergie too.
Closed Thread