United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-04-2007, 01:53 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Why??

What has Tevez done that has elevated his status on this forum above that of Wayne Rooney's?????

If Rooney was Argentinian the people on here (& Redish) that rip him pieces after every game would be defending him to the hilt.
Fact.

What has Wayne Rooney done that jusifies him being ten times the player Tevez is?

Unread 01-04-2007, 02:01 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
What has Wayne Rooney done that jusifies him being ten times the player Tevez is?

Player of the tournament ar EURO 2004.
PFA Young Player of The Year.
A Hat-Trick on his United debut.
A Winning Goal infront of the Kop.
Goals home & away against City (& Arsenal)
Cup Final goals for United.
50+ goals for United.
Some of the most breathtaking goals I've EVER seen at Old Trafford (not to mention away from Old Trafford)
"The nearest thing to Duncan Edwards ever seen in a United shirt" - Bobby Charlton

etc... I could go on.

But, I guess there's a new 'flavour of the month' in town & there's nothing more satisfying than turning on one of your own players when he's off-form is there

Unread 01-04-2007, 02:04 PM
koppas

Nothing to do with flavour of the month. Check post history, I been asking for this lad even before the Hammers signed him.

And I am in no way slating Rooney as I love the lad. BUT to say he is TEN times the player Tevez is, is pretty ludicrous.

Unread 01-04-2007, 02:12 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Nothing to do with flavour of the month. Check post history, I been asking for this lad even before the Hammers signed him.

And I am in no way slating Rooney as I love the lad. BUT to say he is TEN times the player Tevez is, is pretty ludicrous.
I know you've always raved about Tevez....& I don't doubt that he's quality.

It just bugs me that some people, rather than just comment on how decent Tevez looks will get on their anti-Rooney high horse & give it the old "Tevez is better than Rooney" crap.

It's so £#%&!ing childish & in no way reflects Rooney's quality & contribution he's made to the Club since he signed.

Unread 01-04-2007, 10:07 PM
jem's kind streak

Default I like tevez

and I like rooney.

I would happily take tevez on the cheap (he won't be).

rooney is actually playing better than tevez at the moment. I beggars belief that people are saying rooney stinks right now. just because he's missed a couple of sitters. he is absolutely £#%&!ing vital to our attack. oh, he scored a couple recently, too, of course. quite decent goals, some would consider. and his penetrative running after giggs and ronaldo went off against blackburn forced a goal. if this is rooney playing shit, he really is the best young player in the world.

Unread 01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
The most purile opinion of the sheep-like football fan is to turn on a great player who is off form & rave about a player at another Club, who they've seen very little of - if anything in the flesh - & categorically state that he is better than what we've got.
It's so knee-jerk it's untrue.
that is spot on.

Unread 01-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem's kind streak
and I like rooney.

I would happily take tevez on the cheap (he won't be).

rooney is actually playing better than tevez at the moment. I beggars belief that people are saying rooney stinks right now. just because he's missed a couple of sitters. he is absolutely £#%&!ing vital to our attack. oh, he scored a couple recently, too, of course. quite decent goals, some would consider. and his penetrative running after giggs and ronaldo went off against blackburn forced a goal. if this is rooney playing shit, he really is the best young player in the world.
Excellent post - I totally concur with the second half.

As for Tevez,I've seen nothing that screams to me 'MUFC player ' and gets me all excited. All I see is a very overhyped Argentinian who has struggled and is finally scoring a handful of goals. He looks decent but not the worldclass striker who would add something new.

If we're going to rave about form players I'd rather Berbatov than Tevez.

Unread 01-04-2007, 10:43 PM
jem's kind streak

Default the difference between

berbatov and tevez is that I haven't really been impressed with berbatov before he came to england, but he has slotted in at spurs very well. whereas I have never been anything other than impressed by tevez and he's been a bit of a disappointment over here.

I'd take tevez at £8mio over berbatov at £25mio any day. although I doubt we could get either of them for £25mio.

Unread 01-04-2007, 10:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Player of the tournament ar EURO 2004.
PFA Young Player of The Year.
A Hat-Trick on his United debut.
A Winning Goal infront of the Kop.
Goals home & away against City (& Arsenal)
Cup Final goals for United.
50+ goals for United.
Some of the most breathtaking goals I've EVER seen at Old Trafford (not to mention away from Old Trafford)
"The nearest thing to Duncan Edwards ever seen in a United shirt" - Bobby Charlton

etc... I could go on.

But, I guess there's a new 'flavour of the month' in town & there's nothing more satisfying than turning on one of your own players when he's off-form is there
To be fair, Tevez has achieved a hell of a lot in South American football, including winning all the personal awards going and winning lots of titles in Argentina and Brazil, most notably inspiring Boca to the Copa Libertadores when he was about 19 years old.

Then went to Brazil and, with pretty much the whole country desperate for him to fail, was voted the player of the season in his time there and made club captain and fan idol at Corinthians - and incredible achievement for an Argentine.

I have to disagree with a few on this thread about Rooney. I think he has been hugely disappointing this season. Not only has he scored too few goals, but he's also missed an incredible amount of chances and too many times good attacking moves have broken down when he has received possession.

I think, though, that this is just a result of a strenuous year both physically and mentally and, after a good summer break, he'll be back to his best next season. Hopefully anyway, because personally I think he's been a world away from the Rooney of old.

Unread 01-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

I have to disagree with a few on this thread about Rooney. I think he has been hugely disappointing this season. Not only has he scored too few goals, but he's also missed an incredible amount of chances and too many times good attacking moves have broken down when he has received possession.

I'm pretty sure the point that jem was making - and I was agreeing with - is that people tend to confuse Rooney underperforming a bit with being a crap player not doing anything productive for the team.

A subpar Rooney is still much better than virtually all the other strikers out there. His scoring record is still pretty good and his pace and passing are still absolutely instrumental to the team.

He has always had that element to his game where he tries a very ambitious,clever pass that doesn't connect.

I prefer him to be making them because when he's 25 they will be pinpoint and he will perfect that part of his play (which is excellent for one so young and is something that always improves with experience)

I don't think he's at his barnstorming best but the reaction to a little drop in his standards has been (as it often is on the net) a bit over the top.

I think Ronaldo has struggled for form before much more than Wayne . At one point none of the stepovers seemed to have any purpose,the crosses were poor,he kept shooting wildly,his goals tally was bad.

I think we expect too much from these amazing kids sometimes.

Unread 01-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Red Caz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus

You also fail to take into account that he is still a young man. In 5 years time, Rooney having a bad game will be better than most peoples good games. At his age, the frustration that he is not playing well gets to him. He may have bought into his own hype, he may just expect better from himself and those around him. Either way, this will improve with age. You got yourselves a bargain in Rooney. The bitter @#%&!

Unread 01-04-2007, 11:58 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
Dear violet. What a silly and spurious comparison.

Firstly, because if by some glad fortune we could have both vaguely similar, bullish, gifted forwards at our club, what earthly difference would it make which was the better prospect?

Secondly, because even though Rooney is out of form, to praise Tevez by denigrating Rooney is redundant and spiteful (What? the Tissuestas cry. Not our violet. Never.) Tevez stands or falls on his own qualities. Rooney's are irrelevant to the matter.

Thirdly, because Rooney remains a potential great for us and deserves better than this. Although he does need to stop getting so easily wound up. Reminds me a bit of someone, that.

Perfectly put.

ROONEY OUT!!

Unread 02-04-2007, 12:24 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
I'm pretty sure the point that jem was making - and I was agreeing with - is that people tend to confuse Rooney underperforming a bit with being a crap player not doing anything productive for the team.

A subpar Rooney is still much better than virtually all the other strikers out there. His scoring record is still pretty good and his pace and passing are still absolutely instrumental to the team.

He has always had that element to his game where he tries a very ambitious,clever pass that doesn't connect.

I prefer him to be making them because when he's 25 they will be pinpoint and he will perfect that part of his play (which is excellent for one so young and is something that always improves with experience)

I don't think he's at his barnstorming best but the reaction to a little drop in his standards has been (as it often is on the net) a bit over the top.

I think Ronaldo has struggled for form before much more than Wayne . At one point none of the stepovers seemed to have any purpose,the crosses were poor,he kept shooting wildly,his goals tally was bad.

We do. Rooney is still only twenty-one, so struggles with form are still very much normality for a player of his age. However, I have to say I've found him hugely frustrating this season, by any standards.

The thing that concerns me is that - with the exception of a handful games - he was pretty off-form for the second half of last season, too. I don’t think he’s been at his best on a regular basis for 18 months.

If he doesn't start next season well I think it will be a major concern.

Unread 02-04-2007, 12:28 AM
jem's kind streak

Default well

players like ronaldo, giggs and scholes are worth as much as any player in the world on their day. and rooney doesn't look out of place playing with them. as I said... if this is him off form, heaven help europe and the rest of the league when he hits a purple patch. in the next couple of months would be nice.

are you lot missing what he does when he not kicking the ball at friedel from two yards?

Unread 02-04-2007, 12:31 AM
magic_cantona

For £#%&! sake.

Rooney has a few average games and a few 'bad' misses.Let's get rid now eh?

Unread 02-04-2007, 12:56 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
For £#%&! sake.

Rooney has a few average games and a few 'bad' misses.Let's get rid now eh?
Nobody (from I can see on the thread) is saying we should get rid, but it's pointless to ignore his form this season.

He has played 36 games in league and Europe. He has scored in just seven of those games. One third of his goals total in all competitions this season (15) has been scored against Bolton. Of the remaining ten goals, all but one have come against teams outside the top eight.

I don't just think it's the goals, either. His touch in good attacking positions has been slack in too many games this season, and no amount of running off the ball or admirable application can really compensate for doing what he can/should do best and that's produce in the final third.

Of course, he can still be sublime on his day and hopefully he’ll be back to his best as soon as possible, but I can't understand this notion that there is nothing abnormal about his form this season.

Unread 02-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Grimson

Tevez is clearly a very good footballer. Having watched West Ham three times in the last fortnight, he was a class above everyone else in every game (except perhaps Berbatov). But I don't think he's right for us. Holds on to it too long, tries to beat too many men. It seems to me he's better off being the big cheese at a smaller club, rather than being part of a greater whole.

And Rooney will get his best form back at some point. I still, STILL think all his difficulties this season can be traced back to playing unfit at the World Cup.
Closed Thread