United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: what will turn out to be phil jones' best position?
defensive midfielder 6 15.38%
centre-half 24 61.54%
right back 0 0%
he'll play all over the place, do a job and never have a best position (o'shea/pip neville) 6 15.38%
part of a back three with out to in scrambling wing-backs and a strolling libero 3 7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 10-12-2011, 10:25 AM
borsuk

Default where do you think phil jones will end up (position)?

putting our lack of decent/fit midfielders and full backs aside and just thinking about his best position, where will jones end up? he's not played much as a centre-half for us or for england, mainly as a full back or midfielder, but he's usually talked about as a centre-half first and foremost.

Unread 10-12-2011, 10:30 AM
bobcraven

Striker at the moment!

Unread 10-12-2011, 10:31 AM
forzagarza

Outside linebacker

Unread 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Grandadanne

Center back for city

Unread 10-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Cream

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16122759.stm

Phil Jones is the new Paul McGrath and will be one of Europe's top players, Wolves boss Mick McCarthy believes.

McCarthy says he tipped Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson off about the former Blackburn man and was not surprised when he signed in the summer.

"I said he was one of the top players - I sensed [Ferguson] already knew that, but I was offering my opinion," McCarthy said of the utility player.

Unread 10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Tiberian

At CB for me. he brings some interesting traits to midfield, can go box to box, real physical presence, ability to make those surging runs with and without the ball. He could be a goal threat with late runs into the box as well. However he would need to improve his short passing and touch play to stay there long term.

There is also the issue that as he ages he will thicken. He is already a big lad as it is at 19, and in a midfield role it is harder to be as dynamic at his size.

Unread 10-12-2011, 12:56 PM
armchair

Libero/Sweeper/Baresi type character. If he's not then we will have wasted his potential.

Unread 10-12-2011, 01:04 PM
otbarney

Centre back, hopefully, but I fear he may become the fourth option unless we spend some of our untold wealth.

Unread 10-12-2011, 02:08 PM
TheKitchenSink

He should become a world-class centre-back. He's got far too much ability to become another Pip or O'Pie, if he spends his career as a "utility man" at United it would be a £#%&!ing crime.

Unread 10-12-2011, 02:14 PM
bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Libero/Sweeper/Baresi type character. If he's not then we will have wasted his potential.
Hunter/Gatherer

Unread 10-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

I think we should play him cente-half, anything to get Evans as far from getting a game as possible.

I think his best position is as a deep-lying defensive mid with a role of getting forward as and when it is possible, he is great with ball at feet so should capitalise on that when the situation arises

One of the reasons to be cheerful in a horrible couple of months for MUFC

Him and clevers I can see being a big hit together (should clevers ever puta run of games together that is)

Unread 10-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Tiberian

This box to box role seems to suit him well, with Carrick prompting and Jones supporting at pace from deep it is a good partnership.

Unread 10-12-2011, 05:26 PM
rebelcountyred

why is fly goalie not an option?

Unread 10-12-2011, 05:27 PM
jem

he can play defensive midfield or right back, but he should be centre back. however, when he has played there, he has been all over the £#%&!ing place. needs to learn some discipline as a centre back. fast, given where vidic lies and what the alternative is. but I would rather watch jones flounder a bit than that gormless @#%&! jonny £#%&!ing evans.

Unread 10-12-2011, 05:35 PM
History

I think it's just strange to people to see a 'defender' with so much football ability. So he will be used in other positions throughout his career.

he'll end up being a centre half first and foremost.

Unread 10-12-2011, 05:52 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
I think it's just strange to people to see a 'defender' with so much football ability. So he will be used in other positions throughout his career.

it's true that he is almost wasted at centre back. like rio.

oh, ok... not like rio.

Unread 10-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by History

Looking at him today It makes sense to use that energy and running power in midfield. Utd are a far better side when they play with a tempo, and the surging play of Jones really helps to set and maintain that tempo.

That was his best and most rounded game for Utd so far. Wolves never worked his touch in tight areas but he looked like a midfielder, not a defender playing out of position.

Unread 10-12-2011, 05:53 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it's true that he is almost wasted at centre back. like rio.

oh, ok... not like rio.

Smalling is a pretty talented footballer as well on the quiet.

Our defenders are classy, our midfield clumpy.

Unread 10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Our defenders are classy, our midfield clumpy.
carrick is classy. no one will ever describe him as an animal, though.

Unread 10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
ralph

Phil Keano
Closed Thread