United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-06-2011, 12:07 PM
The Watcher

Default Re: Top 50 teams of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
No, I don't think it was unfair either, those countries have their own Football Associations and national teams so they're foreigners, it was just tough shit really. But English teams simply had a higher number of 'foreigners' than most European teams because of the number of Scots, Welsh and Irish playing in England. I suppose it was just a cultural peculiarity of British football that gave us a problem most European nations didn't have.
Yea, I’d agree with all that.

I’m actually coming round to the idea that bringing back a strict ‘foreigner rule’ might actually be a good idea. With the best players being concentrated in top 4 sides in only two or three leagues, it’s the only way I can think of evening up European football again. Would also be a good way of reducing the effect of billionaire owners too. On the other hand, it’d make life even easier for Barcelona

Unread 08-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
No. They were playing the champion teams from neighbouring European nations and couldn’t be defeated for five seasons.

Course, if it was such a mickey mouse competition, you probably think the results our team had in the 50’s( smashing Anderlecht, coming from behind to beat Bilbao, salvaging a draw with Real Madrid) are totally unworthy of praise?
No I only apply that logic to Real Madrid.

Unread 08-06-2011, 01:05 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel
Celtic 1965-74
what's wrong with that. did you read the copy? it was a great team

Unread 08-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Neo

The Babes aren't on the list because its largely based on trophies won, and tragically the Babes didn't get the chance to win all the trophies they most certainly would have won.

I've read up on that Torino side from the 40's before as well - a ridiculously great team. Apparently Italy played a game in the late 40s where ten of the starting XI were Torino players. Most of the records they set in regard to games won/goals scored still stand today, and they're still regarded in Italy as the best Italian club side ever, which is quite an achievement when you look at the competition. They'd be higher up that list if they had a chance to play in a European Cup. A legendary team.

Unread 08-06-2011, 02:22 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
No, I don't think it was unfair either, those countries have their own Football Associations and national teams so they're foreigners, it was just tough shit really. But English teams simply had a higher number of 'foreigners' than most European teams because of the number of Scots, Welsh and Irish playing in England. I suppose it was just a cultural peculiarity of British football that gave us a problem most European nations didn't have.
You're right about them being from foreign nations etc. The unfair part was that the three foreigners rule was designed specifically to £#%&! up English clubs. In our first season back we won the CWC and the continentals didn't ike it. They'd had it their own way for 5 years and thought the return of the english would not only bring hordes of pissed up thugs (true) but a return to English teams winning in europe every year (probably not true). So they dreamed up a rule to £#%&! our squads up.
You can be sure if that if there were a seperate Sardian and Sicilian football associations were Milan And Juve drew a pool of players from, the three foreigner rule would not have come in.

Unread 08-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Tumescent Throb

the ruling against the 94 team was foreigners and assimilates though, there were restrictions on both. seem to recall hughes was an assimilate, thus allowing an extra foreigner to be used but meaning that one less of the other assimilates could play etc etc - it was a load of old %@#$&!s tbh.

the difference in class this rule affected at united might be seen by the fact that the rotterdam team easily passed the criteria, yet would've been destroyed by the 94 team imo.

as for forest, they were good - very good. but they beat malmo in the final ffs and the following year they won with a goal crossed by a junkie and headed in by the first million pound footballer in england. december 1977 cough cough splutter sob

Unread 08-06-2011, 03:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel
Celtic 1965-74
Actually, a much better shout than some others in there.

They won everything there was to win (quite literally so, in their most memorable season)

People shouldn't be misled by the utter and total shiteness of Jock football recently, tbh.

Unread 08-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
the ruling against the 94 team was foreigners and assimilates though, there were restrictions on both. seem to recall hughes was an assimilate, thus allowing an extra foreigner to be used but meaning that one less of the other assimilates could play etc etc - it was a load of old %@#$&!s tbh.
That's it, I'd forgotten about the 'assimilate' horseshit they came out with.

Unread 08-06-2011, 03:18 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Actually, a much better shout than some others in there.

They won everything there was to win (quite literally so, in their most memorable season)

People shouldn't be misled by the utter and total shiteness of Jock football recently, tbh.
Indeed that should highlight just what a great achievement that was. To not only win the Euro Cup that time but consistently reach the late stages.

Unread 08-06-2011, 03:25 PM
red in cumbria

And (United aside, obviously) I think that the early 70s Ajax team are possibly my favourite club side of all time

Unread 08-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
And (United aside, obviously) I think that the early 70s Ajax team are possibly my favourite club side of all time
Exactly, you can't really argue with the No.1. The phrase 'total football' is thrown around a lot these days as a moniker for "passing it about a lot". Which is of course total bullshit.

Unread 08-06-2011, 05:23 PM
J_RED

rofl

the Meeelan side of 87-91 are 16th

they are certainly the best club side of my lifetime including the current Barcelona side

Unread 08-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Neo

The Inter side of 2009-10 are far too high.

The writer argues that the United side of 1964-68 are only at number 41 because they 'were never truly dominant' and their victories were 'isolated', even though they won two league titles and a European Cup - the same amount of league titles and European Cups that the Inter side at number 21 won.

Its a good list, but there are some parts that are just complete %@#$&!s.
Closed Thread