United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-07-2010, 03:18 AM
Switching Off

Thumbs up Re: The Damned United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I loved the film. I assume not all of it is historically accurate, but as a piece of drama, it's top-rate.

It's a bit comedic how shit some of the actors playing Leeds players were at football, particularly Bremner.
A goalkeeper critcising someone for being shit at football. I've heard it all now

Unread 19-07-2010, 03:22 AM
Grimson

Default Re: The Damned United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
A goalkeeper critcising someone for being shit at football. I've heard it all now
Putting aside false modesty, I can do things with a football even the best amateurs can only imagine. You have to remember I'm not a British goalkeeper.

Unread 19-07-2010, 04:00 AM
M-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike
Thought the film was very good.

Colm Meaney was excellent and believable as revie.

Tim Spall as peter taylor was not.
All footy films are usually shit. Can never get the actors etc.

Saying that though Colm meaney was very good as was the Cloughie actor (forget his name) ? Spall is always the same miserable brummie @#%&!...

The scouse @#%&! that played bremner is actually not a bad actor, hard working for a scouse ! and was v good in 'This England' too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
you missed out fat franny.

YouTube- Derby v Leeds Nov. 1975
Loved that Frannie Lee battered Hunter, nice footwork !

Unread 19-07-2010, 09:23 AM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13

Saying that though Colm meaney was very good as was the Cloughie actor (forget his name) ? Spall is always the same miserable brummie @#%&!...

The scouse @#%&! that played bremner is actually not a bad actor, hard working for a scouse ! and was v good in 'This England' too.

What about Escape to Victory? Shirley your not calling it shit? It's got footballers, Nazis and Sly Stallone, what more could you want? :shakehead:

Unread 19-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed81
What about Escape to Victory? Shirley your not calling it shit? It's got footballers, Nazis and Sly Stallone, what more could you want? :shakehead:
It's also got one of the best renditions of La Marseillaise

Unread 19-07-2010, 09:40 AM
DuanePipe

Things I took away from this film:

Ash trays in the dressing room for the players = excellent touch.

A large number of players of that era had no brief at all to even touch a football. They were basically paid to dismantle opposition players in any way they fancied. Which in turn made me realise how good a player George Best must have been to play the way he did in an era where teams were playing with hired hitmen.

As I live and grew up in Nottingham through the 80's decade, I never appreciated the real scale of what Clough did as Forest manager. I just grew up under the assumption that they were a massive club, like Real Madrid. It's only been the last 10 years that it's become apparent what an insane over achievement they experienced.

I remember the Keegan punching Bremner incident from video footage. But I like Keegan a little bit more now. If only the modern player could master the art of actually throwing a punch.

Overall though, it was really just dramatised vignettes of Brian Clough doing things most people have already seen Brian Clough himself doing. Didn't really feel like I learned much as most of it is so well documented and indeed recorded to film in real life.

Unread 19-07-2010, 10:06 AM
My Name is Keith

Thought it was brilliant. Easily one of the best sports related films I've seen.

Surprised so many think its shite but then, they do say, that it is a funny old game.

Unread 19-07-2010, 10:18 AM
magic_cantona

Quality movie, great entertainment too

Thought Sheen did a brilliant job of playing Clough.I love how people say "Shit film, the book was soooooo much better" just to gain some kind of kudos

Saying that, the book 'Needful Things' by Stephen King was sooooooooooooo much better than the £#%&!ing rubbish movie

Unread 19-07-2010, 10:23 AM
red @rmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Thought it was brilliant. Easily one of the best sports related films I've seen.

Surprised so many think its shite but then, they do say, that it is a funny old game.
I enjoyed it too, thought they got the 70's era bang on imo.

The stadium was bang on.

The bloke who played Cloughie was brilliant.

Unread 19-07-2010, 10:35 AM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
It's also got one of the best renditions of La Marseillaise

YouTube- "Escape to victory" movie - La Marseillaise scene
Best national anthem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
I enjoyed it too, thought they got the 70's era bang on imo.

The stadium was bang on.

The bloke who played Cloughie was brilliant.
Apart from where he's stood in the tunnel at #@&%! road and you can see all the seating.

Unread 19-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Zorg

I really enjoyed it, afterwards I watched the Clough v Revie TV debate on youtube and it was eerie how accurate the two actors were.

Revie really was a class A @#%&! wasn't he.

Unread 19-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Jack Duckworth

i watched it a while ago and personally thought it was a good film. i'm not having it that cloughie was a bender though.

Unread 19-07-2010, 10:55 AM
carlosartorial

I enjoyed it too.

Stunning performance from Michael Sheen.

Unread 19-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I enjoyed it too.

Stunning performance from Michael Sheen.
yep, very polished performance.

Unread 19-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I really enjoyed it, afterwards I watched the Clough v Revie TV debate on youtube and it was eerie how accurate the two actors were.

Revie really was a class A @#%&! wasn't he.
I'm with you there - did exactly the same...

I note that Jimmy Armfield took over after that - he didn't win #@&%! all either did he?

Unread 19-07-2010, 11:01 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I'm with you there - did exactly the same...

I note that Jimmy Armfield took over after that - he didn't win #@&%! all either did he?
Got them to a European Cup final - where they were blatantly robbed by a completely bent ref........

Unread 19-07-2010, 11:09 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Got them to a European Cup final - where they were blatantly robbed by a completely bent ref........

Unread 19-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Zorg

Quote:

Unread 19-07-2010, 11:15 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Hence why the knuckle draggers used to sing 'Champions of Europe' even though errr.....they're not and never have been.

Easily one of the 3 clubs I hate the most. Probaly even pipped the scousers into the number 1 spot during the 90's.

Unread 19-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13

Colm Meaney has been excellent in everything I've seen him in, but for some reason, no matter how good he is in his role, I keep seeing Miles O'Brian and I can't get past that
Closed Thread