United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Jez Quigley

Default Defensive Bores

Right - I admit, I'm a defensive bore.

Who wants to discuss our back 5 with me?

OK - I'll start.

As of NOW, we are in critical need of at least 2 defenders, at least.

Assuming we have as our first choice

Rafael - Smalling - Jones - Evans - Shaw

and that Valencia is back up to Rafael, where do we go?

Is Hames a good enough cover for Shaw? Is Shaw good enough for a full season or will we need a top class cover?

Ideally, I think we need 3.

A right sided defender who can go right wing back if needed.

A left sided defender who can go left back if needed.

A 'thou shall not pass' Iron Man at the back.

I like Vermaelen but not as a wing back. I like Hummels but not sure he is the Iron Man stopper we need either.

Is Benoit Assau-Ekoto free? He'd be good on the left.

Struggling for available names tbh - it's critical above everything we get this part right.

Midfield can wait another year - we need to build the defensive foundations for the next 5 years.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:15 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

A worldy centre back and a quality right back would suffice.

Spectacularly unarsed if they don't arrive. Attack attack attack.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:15 PM
teflon_terry

Reckon we'd sign Sol Campbell if he wasn't black.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

I'm also a defensive bore. The first sign of criticism and I launch into a explanation about why the accusation is false.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:22 PM
forwardirektion

There's a dearth of good defenders out there. With the high line we are playing i'd maybe consider Usain Bolt

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:23 PM
barca99

Given the current system we are playing id say we are in need of at least 2 centre backs.

No reason why Shaw cant play every league game, injury permitting of course, James can provide enough cover this season imo.

Right back I think Valencia and Rafael will suffice.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:27 PM
puressence

Phil jagielka topred ..its on

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Aman27deep

I think Blind will be an excellent purchase - he can play LB, CM, and CB. Pay 16m or whatever to get him.

de Vrij looked good at the world cup. I'd be amazed after van Gaal's tenure at Brazil if he doesn't bring some players in from that talented squad.

We should have got Sagna on a free transfer from Arsenal. I love Rafael, but he stays injured forever. Shouldn't have sold Fabio either. Cuadrado can play RWB, and I think we should get him if possible. Valencia should be sold.

Vermaelen is a name being bounce around everywhere, I will not be impressed if we get him, but I can understand why we may go for him. van Gaal knows him from his technical director phase at Ajax.

We won't get Hummels unless we pay crazy money; ie 40m plus.

A team is always built on defense - and I'm sure van Gaal knows that and purchases will be made.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Jez Quigley

Blind would have been perfect.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:31 PM
hopkins

Thumbs up

a football manager classic WBL/DC/DMC is needed for cover

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Harri Jaffa

Hummels is a wonderful centre back.

Same brain as Rio, just not as fast. Would be an excellent leader at the back and something we are missing.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Jones and Smalling get stuck in enough.

IMO we need a Hummels/McGrath/Rio type.
I think they're @#%&!.

Having said that, we certainly need one of those types, 3 truly world class defenders.

My top 5 non UK and Ireland defenders:

Kohler
Baresi
Maldini
Cannavarro
Brehme

Prehaps we need to be looking in Italy or Germany..?

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:41 PM
ryanMUFC

I can see us be alright defensively as long as we strengthen the midfield. I wouldn't complain if Reece James was given the back up lb spot. Hummels or Vermaelans experience should be welcomed if the opportunity comes cheap enough though.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:42 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
I think they're @#%&!.

Having said that, we certainly need one of those types, 3 truly world class defenders.

Kohler
Baresi
Maldini
Cannavarro
Brehme

Think they might all be past it pal

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:43 PM
andyroo

Quote:
I think they're @#%&!.

Kohler
Barei
Maldini
Cannavarro
Brehme

Jones isn't a @#%&!, he's brave and tough, just massively unco-ordinated.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Jones isn't a @#%&!, he's brave and tough, just massively unco-ordinated.
I actually rate Jones and think he has not developed due to Froggleson/Voldemort messing him about.

Just realised - if I'd have mentioned Mark Fish we could have had a defensive boer.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:56 PM
WarwickRoad

One major defensive signing should provide us with enough - especially if we are unable to get the right people this summer. I agree with Watcher that LvG may consider using Carrick as part of the back three. He has also said that he may have to work with a 4-3-3 if circumstances dictate.

I agree with your sentiments, but one quality CB and one quality CM are the absolute priority for me. Anything else would be a bonus.

Unread 28-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarwickRoad
One major defensive signing should provide us with enough - especially if we are unable to get the right people this summer. I agree with Watcher that LvG may consider using Carrick as part of the back three. He has also said that he may have to work with a 4-3-3 if circumstances dictate.

I agree with your sentiments, but one quality CB and one quality CM are the absolute priority for me. Anything else would be a bonus.

WarwickRoad knows his stuff

Unread 28-07-2014, 03:14 PM
ZiggyStardust

We need a couple of CBs and a backup LB / LWB

Very surprised we're not signing De Vrij as he would seem perfect for this 3412 system

Not sure how long into the season we will continue to play 3 at the back
Would be surprised if we don't move back to playing 4 at the back before the end of the season

Unread 28-07-2014, 03:56 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Right - I admit, I'm a defensive bore.

Who wants to discuss our back 5 with me?

OK - I'll start.

As of NOW, we are in critical need of at least 2 defenders, at least.

Assuming we have as our first choice

Rafael - Smalling - Jones - Evans - Shaw

and that Valencia is back up to Rafael, where do we go?

Is Hames a good enough cover for Shaw? Is Shaw good enough for a full season or will we need a top class cover?

Ideally, I think we need 3.

A right sided defender who can go right wing back if needed.

A left sided defender who can go left back if needed.

A 'thou shall not pass' Iron Man at the back.

I like Vermaelen but not as a wing back. I like Hummels but not sure he is the Iron Man stopper we need either.

Is Benoit Assau-Ekoto free? He'd be good on the left.

Struggling for available names tbh - it's critical above everything we get this part right.

Midfield can wait another year - we need to build the defensive foundations for the next 5 years.
I don't think he'll play 3 at the back most games. Think he's just seeing who can play it and who's tactically flexible for transitions during games etc.

Could be wrong obv. but i think he'll play 433 most games.
Closed Thread