United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-11-2012, 07:03 AM
bcred

Default Oh Teddy Teddy

I only just realized Ted was in the Forest league cup final team in 92.
I was at that game,nice one Chocster.

He had a strange few years at United I remember he was crap that first year and even in 99 he was so so,what an impact at the end though.

Unread 16-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Crumps

Never liked him.

Unread 16-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Stickman

Remember starting a thread on here about him a couple years back, he really divided opinion didn't he?

Him and Yorkes United careers were so opposite, Teddy Burnt out Yorke faded away, I'm sure missed his first 3 penalties for us too or something, all I all he was average his first season. Great squad player in 99 and never really let us down. His final season he was brilliant, obviously intelligent player but so £#%&!en slow for a centre forward!

I'd say I liked him all in all as opposed to dislike. Great week for him starting with coming on for Keane in the final against the Geordies.

Unread 16-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Gruber

Did the job he was brought in to do.

Unread 16-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Remember starting a thread on here about him a couple years back, he really divided opinion didn't he?

Him and Yorkes United careers were so opposite, Teddy Burnt out Yorke faded away, I'm sure missed his first 3 penalties for us too or something, all I all he was average his first season. Great squad player in 99 and never really let us down. His final season he was brilliant, obviously intelligent player but so £#%&!en slow for a centre forward!

I'd say I liked him all in all as opposed to dislike. Great week for him starting with coming on for Keane in the final against the Geordies.
Tbh I hated him because he wasn't Eric and was a #@&%!ernee.

Unread 16-11-2012, 08:30 AM
dunk

He wasn't that bad in his first season was he? Just petered out in the 2nd half of the season as the whole squad was decimated by injury?

I must admit, I wasn't in favour of us signing him, I thought Juninho was more likely to arrive at the time, but once he arrived I grew to like him and enjoyed watching him play. He was sublime in his last season though I reckon him and Ruud would've worked nicely as a combination, it was a shame he moved on, especially as Cole did too not long after.

Unread 16-11-2012, 08:32 AM
bcred

He wasn't the easiest short termer to like I'll admit. But he was quality no doubting that. I always thought that his spat with Cole was interesting too. Pro's the pair of them to be able to exist in that situation.

Mind you I've played in a few amateur teams where lads haven't gotten along.
Must be hard at that level though when you are travelling half way around the world with someone you dislike.
TBH Crumps you are spot on with the cockney comment.

It's hard not to like anyone that helped us win a European cup though.

Unread 16-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Scabs

Agree with Gruber. Did a great job for us and was a top notch squad player. Off the pace? Yes, but clever enough to compensate.

Not my favourite player but remembered fondly.

Unread 16-11-2012, 08:38 AM
bcred

off the pace is right,I watched him play for England in Shizouka in 02.
The game when Seaman was chipped, 2002 and he was still getting caps.

Unread 16-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Tbh I hated him because he wasn't Eric and was a #@&%!ernee.
Agreed. Thought he was a £#%&!er from day one. Was never a united player.

Unread 16-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Scabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcred
off the pace is right,I watched him play for England in Shizouka in 02.
The game when Seaman was chipped, 2002 and he was still getting caps.
Yeah, not a career highlight.

Unread 16-11-2012, 08:43 AM
BarryX

Thumbs up

On a side note I am glad to say there seems to be no more animosity between Teddy and Andy Andrew Cole, f the legends game in Madrid is anything to go. They seemed to be getting on just fine in the hotel bar and Andy Andrew ran a long way to congratulate Big Teddy after he scored a goal. Not the actions of a pair of people who hate each other and two players who I had the joy to watch when we won the lot.

Unread 16-11-2012, 08:50 AM
borsuk

never really warmed to him tbh but like grubes said, he did the job he was bought to do.

Unread 16-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

I thought he was alright tbh, some good memories such as 3-2 at home to juve.

remember his debut when he missed the peno at whl, was very sad for him.

Unread 16-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Mr_Ed

Turned up to training on his first day in a Ferrari - Roy commented in his autobiog.

Will always remember him taunting the arsenal fans with his 3 trophies when he was warming up early in 2000.

Unread 16-11-2012, 10:06 AM
believe

Thumbs up

I was extremely pissed in the boxes at bolton against spurs and he was on the table next to me. I ended up talking to him for about two hours and pretty much told him where he was going wrong at United. He never had a bad game for us again after that iirc.

Unread 16-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Neo

Top bloke IMO.

Did the business at the business end of the Treble season. Respect.

Keano complaining about him bringing a Ferrari into training, ffs. He'd moan about anything.

Unread 16-11-2012, 10:08 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I was extremely pissed in the boxes at bolton against spurs and he was on the table next to me. I ended up talking to him for about two hours and pretty much told him where he was going wrong at United. He never had a bad game for us again after that iirc.
Get back to England and get yourself in a room with half of our first team squad and a vat of white wine, pronto.

Unread 16-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Agreed. Thought he was a £#%&!er from day one. Was never a united player.
Had a good spell at a crucial time which imo has skewed quite a lot of people's view of his United career.

Has always looked about 45 too.

Unread 16-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Get back to England and get yourself in a room with half of our first team squad and a vat of white wine, pronto.
A Believe and Throb double-team would mean we'd never suffer a defeat/dip in form/concede a goal ever again.
Closed Thread