United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
View Poll Results: Who will win?
United 38 73.08%
Spurs 4 7.69%
Draw 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 29-10-2017, 09:31 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Fergie seemed to get away with it in latter years. Then again the football, played in latter years has probably been upgraded to all out attacking brilliance since he retired
Just try reading some of the match threads on here from his last few campaigns

Unread 29-10-2017, 09:56 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Not sure I agree with that tbh. Aguero, Silva, Fernandinho were already there, and I don’t think the likes of Jesus, Sterling or Sane were making any top ten lists before they were signed, were they?

That said, they haven’t won anything apart from the bonfire night league yet, so it could easily be ‘as you were’ by season’s end. What he has done well thus far is replace players like Zabaletta, Sagna, Toure, Hart (though that took a couple of goes), Kolorov, Navas, Mangala and Nasri with upgrades -again, none from the Fifpro team- and has them playing with freedom and confidence.

Pretty much exactly what Mourinho has to do with our gaggle of sub-pars.
Agree with that. Weird that they looked so shit up until that scabby win at Bournemouth- huge shame because the bald @#%&! looked close to popping up until then - pressure off now and that smug look is back.

Unread 29-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Not sure I agree with that tbh. Aguero, Silva, Fernandinho were already there, and I don’t think the likes of Jesus, Sterling or Sane were making any top ten lists before they were signed, were they?

That said, they haven’t won anything apart from the bonfire night league yet, so it could easily be ‘as you were’ by season’s end. What he has done well thus far is replace players like Zabaletta, Sagna, Toure, Hart (though that took a couple of goes), Kolorov, Navas, Mangala and Nasri with upgrades -again, none from the Fifpro team- and has them playing with freedom and confidence.

Pretty much exactly what Mourinho has to do with our gaggle of sub-pars.
True but then I suppose as we've seen in the last couple of years, you don't need the best players in the world to win the Premier League. If you go out and spend 400m on some extremely good ones, coupled with the 2-3 world class players that were already there, then old Pep's job just got infinitely easier.

Unread 29-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Alan

Quote:
From the previous page on this very thread:

Fergie seemed to get away with it in latter years. Then again the football, played in latter years has probably been upgraded to all out attacking brilliance since he retired.
Fergie's most expensive signing in his last 4 seasons was van persie at £24 million. He was operating on an absolute shoestring in comparison to the amounts these last 3 belms have pissed up the wall even when taking into account the inflated fees of late.

Fergie 'got away' with beating teams which were spending more than him because he was able to get a tune out of players his successors couldn't.

van gaal came in and sold players for next to nothing and replaced them with inferior players for big money. You were first in line with the excuses for him too.

Mourinho has based his team around bogbrush despite spending £300m in two summer transfer windows, and then says United couldn't attack the vermin and their notoriously shit defence because klopp didn't take off Can and Henderson.

And the best you can manage is by trying to deflect things onto Fergie

Unread 29-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Fergie's most expensive signing in his last 4 seasons was van persie at £24 million. He was operating on an absolute shoestring in comparison to the amounts these last 3 belms have pissed up the wall even when taking into account the inflated fees of late.

Fergie 'got away' with beating teams which were spending more than him because he was able to get a tune out of players his successors couldn't.

van gaal came in and sold players for next to nothing and replaced them with inferior players for big money. You were first in line with the excuses for him too.

Mourinho has based his team around bogbrush despite spending £300m in two summer transfer windows, and then says United couldn't attack the vermin and their notoriously shit defence because klopp didn't take off Can and Henderson.

He's right, you know.

Alex Ferguson showed every single one of these current lot right up.

We won a league with John O'Shea, Cleverley and Fletcher as regulars

Unread 29-10-2017, 10:37 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Atmosphere was good. Was funny to hear the Spurs fans sing “your support is facking shit” towards the end of the match after making almost zero noise themselves all game
It's a good sign that these #@&%!s are having to resort to the song book they've been using during the last 25 years at Old Trafford. Means they're struggling for reasons to laugh at us on the pitch.

I was only watching on telly but it sounded like the best atmosphere at Old Trafford in a while. Thought our fans were good.

Unread 29-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
It's a good sign that these #@&%!s are having to resort to the song book they've been using during the last 25 years at Old Trafford. Means they're struggling for reasons to laugh at us on the pitch.

I was only watching on telly but it sounded like the best atmosphere at Old Trafford in a while. Thought our fans were good.
It was pretty dead up until Young had his set-to with Alli, then it all sort of kicked off.

Unread 29-10-2017, 10:45 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Bit harsh considering he broke on to the scene leading Porto to the CL
And the treble with a pretty unspectacular Inter side.

Unread 29-10-2017, 11:58 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Yes, and Ferguson claims his lack of spending was out of choice and not necessity..

Quote:
And it was a functional winning tune, not the all out attacking brilliance it seems to have become in the years since he retired.

Quote:
That’s either a photographic memory or some obsessive pouring over the archive before posting.

Depends what timeframe you are referring to. I believe in giving a manager time to do the job. I certainly wasn’t first in line defending him in his final season.

Quote:

Mourinho uses fellaini as a plan B, an impact sub when called for.

I didn’t bring fergie into it concerning what you posted. I did point out no matter what mourinho has done, whether sticking 4 past teams numerous times, getting a draw at anfield or winning v Tottenham it isn’t good enough for some.

But I may as well bring fergie into it now, regarding Liverpool. How did fergie’s united team play against liverpool in latter years? How about his cowardly performances against city, no shots on goal etc? I can imagine your reaction if that was mourinho. How about when it was fergie? Or was that him getting a tune out of his players?

Incidentally, to bring fergie into it again, when was last time his united team scored 4 goals this many times across a whole league season, never mind the first 10 games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Just try reading some of the match threads on here from his last few campaigns
Yeah, and the contrast with how people talk about those campaigns and the football now he’s retired is night and day. Apparently it’s only managers after fergie that stopped the free flowing attacking football united’s tradition demands.

Unread 30-10-2017, 12:27 AM
jem

Quote:
How did fergie’s united team play against liverpool in latter years? How about his cowardly performances against city, no shots on goal etc? I can imagine your reaction if that was mourinho. How about when it was fergie?
the football in fergie's later years was absolute shite. as was said loudly and often.

Unread 30-10-2017, 07:25 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the football in fergie's later years was absolute shite. as was said loudly and often.
fact

Unread 30-10-2017, 11:16 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It was pretty dead up until Young had his set-to with Alli, then it all sort of kicked off.
This was the game in general.

It was a nothing incident until that little £#%&!er got involved.

How was he not booked btw? Referee had a word with him 3 times during the game for constant back chatting.

Unread 30-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Alan

Quote:

Mourinho uses fellaini as a plan B, an impact sub when called for.
Nonsense. He's started virtually every game this season until he got injured.

Quote:
I didn’t bring fergie into it concerning what you posted. I did point out no matter what mourinho has done, whether sticking 4 past teams numerous times, getting a draw at anfield or winning v Tottenham it isn’t good enough for some.
Neither of those sides had their best player and goal scoring threat available, and yet Mourinho still anti-footballed them both

Quote:
But I may as well bring fergie into it now,

Quote:
regarding Liverpool. How did fergie’s united team play against liverpool in latter years? How about his cowardly performances against city, no shots on goal etc? I can imagine your reaction if that was mourinho. How about when it was fergie? Or was that him getting a tune out of his players?
No idea why you think I wouldn't judge him like I would anyone else; that is, in context.
However, what Fergie did or didn't do is irrelevant to what Mourinho is doing and is a strange deflection tactic on your part. You seem to be implying that because a 70 year old operating on a relative budget didn't play all out attack every game, that makes it unacceptable for me to criticise Mourinho for playing hoofball against Spurs, or for excusing himself from attacking Liverpool because the opposing manager didn't make any subs, after spending £300 million.

Quote:
Incidentally, to bring fergie into it again,
Quote:
when was last time his united team scored 4 goals this many times across a whole league season, never mind the first 10 games?
2011-12 they scored 4 or more 8 times.

Unread 30-10-2017, 12:43 PM
flixton

Quote:

Fellaini did not start a single game before Pogba was injured.

Unread 30-10-2017, 12:47 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
Fellaini did not start a single game before Pogba was injured.
I'm very surprised at this stat

Unread 30-10-2017, 01:09 PM
shenwen

Quote:

Fake news

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I'm very surprised at this stat
It's true though

(I think)

Unread 30-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Fake news
love the confidence in the statement though.

'Nonsense'

Nonsense. Sea Turtles invented computer chips. etc

Unread 30-10-2017, 01:15 PM
sa7

Alan making a @#%&! of himself again is he?

Unread 30-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Clarkie

Strange how everything seems to hark back to Fergie.

Simple fact is, you're not going to get another Fergie. Get used to it. There is no one out there like him and never will be.

Guardiola? Yeah, all well and good winning a league after spending a billion quid in two seasons to win a league. Tim Sherwood or David Moyes could do that. Faced his first challenge when Mourinho took charge of Madrid. Lost it spectacularly and had to take a "break" from football... His 2nd challenge last year, failed it! He is nothing like Fergie.

Mourinho, for all his faults (and there are a lot of them) is someone who I feel confident with, I think he's a tactical master and I think he knows how to get results out of tight games. Granted, he got it wrong against Liverpool but, he's not the first manager to do so.

There are people on here and in the media who are just looking for any sort of reason to give him a kicking, purely because they don't like him. They have an agenda. That's fair enough. That's your warped thinking. The positives since he took over far out weigh the negatives and the improvement is there staring at you in the face.

He's not Fergie, he never will be. If you're going to keep searching for a manager for this club, to stay for almost 30 years, re write the history books, win everything numerous times, then the remainder of your time following United is going to be deeply depressing

Unread 30-10-2017, 01:28 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Fake news

It's true though

(I think)
It is true. It was Pogba and Matic starting every game until Pogba got injured.

Classic Alan