United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
View Poll Results: Who will win?
United 38 73.08%
Spurs 4 7.69%
Draw 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 28-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Harri Jaffa

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
I’ve never seen you post anything remotely positive in all the time you’ve been on here. You’re relentlessly negative. I quite like your consistency in a weird way.

Sandman’s a grade a anti mourinho dick - has no proportion whatsoever and only pops up when we’re struggling so it maybe a bit unfair to group the two of you together because you don’t do that do you.

I think you’ll find I do try and find the positive quite a bit of the time. But yeah, lukaku had a mare today and should have been subbed imo, we couldn’t pass it 1st half, our corners are usually quite shit but we stepped up 2nd half and won.

I don’t think we’re title contenders based on what I’ve seen over the last couple of weeks and the football’s a lot worse than I think it should be. I don’t put as much of that at the managers door as you do and we’ll see what happens when our midfield gets back on track.

Progress.
Postage

Unread 28-10-2017, 05:56 PM
dragflick

Quote:
I’ve never seen you post anything remotely positive in all the time you’ve been on here. You’re relentlessly negative. I quite like your consistency in a weird way.

Sandman’s a grade a anti mourinho dick - has no proportion whatsoever and only pops up when we’re struggling so it maybe a bit unfair to group the two of you together because you don’t do that do you.

I think you’ll find I do try and find the positive quite a bit of the time. But yeah, lukaku had a mare today and should have been subbed imo, we couldn’t pass it 1st half, our corners are usually quite shit but we stepped up 2nd half and won.

I don’t think we’re title contenders based on what I’ve seen over the last couple of weeks and the football’s a lot worse than I think it should be. I don’t put as much of that at the managers door as you do and we’ll see what happens when our midfield gets back on track.

Progress.

Unread 28-10-2017, 06:07 PM
ScarFace

Unread 28-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Crumps

We always start slow as £#%&! in the 12:30 games. We grew in to it and started looking like the Team that smashed the league up until the last 2 games.

Unread 28-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Alan

Quote:

Progress.
I'm really not pal. I'm one of the few people who doesn't relentlessly slate Herrera and Mata for starters because I prefer players with technical skill over lummoxes who make United play like stoke.

If you don't put much blame at the door of the manager for the playing style, who do you think it's down to? The expensive players he's inherited and spent £300m on? Who decided to sign a striker with the awful touch and hold up play you mentioned?

He's an incredibly detailed coach who has a clear game plan for every game. Players who don't follow it get called out or dropped as Martial and Shaw have found out. He clearly didn't instruct them to pass it, he instructed them to lump it at Lukaku because he doesn't trust them to play through Spurs' press. De Gea got it right in the end.

He's basically had one midfielder who should be starting games out injured for a few weeks. That's not an excuse for playing hoofball.

The lowering of standards that Moyes and van gaal have brought is quite shocking IMO. Most people are willing to tolerate any old shite and seem to get quite upset at a truth bomb and people who don't conform to the consensus they want.

Unread 28-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
We always start slow as £#%&! in the 12:30 games. We grew in to it and started looking like the Team that smashed the league up until the last 2 games.
Eriksen (Spelling?) is a class little player. The ball to create Alli's chance before the winner was sensational. Incredible vision.

Other than that, I'm genuinely struggling to think of anything they done attacking wise

Unread 28-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Whip Hubley

Calling yourself a truth bomb

Unread 28-10-2017, 06:41 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
I'm hearing all the piss the beds can put their dummies back in for another week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
never felt more like punching my screen. shit football, lucky goal from route one.... how £#%&!ing special is that?

am prepared to credit him with getting matic in, though. only about five more of him needed.

Unread 28-10-2017, 06:45 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I'm really not pal. I'm one of the few people who doesn't relentlessly slate Herrera and Mata for starters because I prefer players with technical skill over lummoxes who make United play like stoke.

If you don't put much blame at the door of the manager for the playing style, who do you think it's down to? The expensive players he's inherited and spent £300m on? Who decided to sign a striker with the awful touch and hold up play you mentioned?

He's an incredibly detailed coach who has a clear game plan for every game. Players who don't follow it get called out or dropped as Martial and Shaw have found out. He clearly didn't instruct them to pass it, he instructed them to lump it at Lukaku because he doesn't trust them to play through Spurs' press. De Gea got it right in the end.

He's basically had one midfielder who should be starting games out injured for a few weeks. That's not an excuse for playing hoofball.

The lowering of standards that Moyes and van gaal have brought is quite shocking IMO. Most people are willing to tolerate any old shite and seem to get quite upset at a truth bomb and people who don't conform to the consensus they want.
Well the football we started the season with was very much like the football we had under fergie- decent possession without being obsessive about it, risk taking, entertaining, skillfull with great interchanges from front to back. Miki and p double running tings, rashford tearing it up with an effective striker to aim at.

When we can’t replicate that or play a tough opponent then mou closes the game down- I don’t like it but maybe he see’s the limitations we have better than you? Personally, I wish he was more risk taking in the bigger games but the best manager we ever had did that many many times.

Our poor play in the 1st half was principally due to the players imv. When the most creative player on the pitch is shit (miki), it’s going to be a bit one dimensional.

We are not where we should be but it’s not as bad as you make out.

Unread 28-10-2017, 07:10 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

never felt more like punching my screen. shit football, lucky goal from route one.... how £#%&!ing special is that?

am prepared to credit him with getting matic in, though. only about five more of him needed.

I wouldn't if I were you.

iPads, laptops etc are expensive these days

Unread 28-10-2017, 07:14 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
I wouldn't if I were you.

iPads, laptops etc are expensive these days
went for this instead.

Unread 28-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Alan

Quote:
Well the football we started the season with was very much like the football we had under fergie- decent possession without being obsessive about it, risk taking, entertaining, skillfull with great interchanges from front to back. Miki and p double running tings, rashford tearing it up with an effective striker to aim at.

When we can’t replicate that or play a tough opponent then mou closes the game down- I don’t like it but maybe he see’s the limitations we have better than you? Personally, I wish he was more risk taking in the bigger games but the best manager we ever had did that many many times.

Our poor play in the 1st half was principally due to the players imv. When the most creative player on the pitch is shit (miki), it’s going to be a bit one dimensional.

We are not where we should be but it’s not as bad as you make out.
IMO your recollections of the start of the season are a bit revisionist. Mourinho doesn't take risks. IMO those games were mostly mind numbing with late goals scored on the break against tiring shit teams.

I reckon I have a fair idea of United's limitations tbh. I wouldn't have signed or picked the players that cause those limitations. Bogbrush and lukaku are first choices for him and United have two past it wingers as fullbacks after spending £300m.

Why do you think Bailly kept launching it? IMO because that's what he had been told to do. Or do you think he instructed them to get it down and play through the press and they ignored him? He said he was happy with the performance so the players obviously played how he asked them to.

Unread 28-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
went for this instead.

First half, I can relate..

Unread 28-10-2017, 07:17 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

never felt more like punching my screen. shit football, lucky goal from route one.... how f***ing special is that?

pity you did'nt, probably would have broken your little limp wrist.........

Unread 28-10-2017, 07:24 PM
My Name is Keith

Thumbs up

Quote:
IMO your recollections of the start of the season are a bit revisionist. Mourinho doesn't take risks. IMO those games were mostly mind numbing with late goals scored on the break against tiring shit teams.

I reckon I have a fair idea of United's limitations tbh. I wouldn't have signed or picked the players that cause those limitations. Bogbrush and lukaku are first choices for him and United have two past it wingers as fullbacks after spending £300m.

Why do you think Bailly kept launching it? IMO because that's what he had been told to do. Or do you think he instructed them to get it down and play through the press and they ignored him? He said he was happy with the performance so the players obviously played how he asked them to.
Yep, I chose to see the positive side of those early games, you didn’t- I think that brings us back to where we started.

Unread 28-10-2017, 07:31 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

never felt more like punching my screen. shit football, lucky goal from route one.... how f***ing special is that?

Punching your screen ffs your an old man you barmy old @#%&!

Unread 28-10-2017, 08:28 PM
utd99

Quote:

How would you have a back three of Bailly, Jones and Smalling playing against a high press? Smalling can’t even play a five yard ball correctly if he’s in forty yards of space. I’m not a fan of long ball, but at least I understand why in this game.

Quote:
Yep, I chose to see the positive side of those early games, you didn’t- I think that brings us back to where we started.
I think the first few games were a bit misleading. We rolled into the season high on confidence and off the back of a great pre season and played some pretty ropey teams tbh. I don’t think the late goals stat is surprising. We’ve definitely been on a lull in the last few weeks though. The problem with that is you can’t afford to let City get 8/10 points ahead if we hope to compete.

Unread 28-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Alan

Quote:
I choose realism pal. That works both ways in that I don't jump on the bandwagon slating good players who aren't playing well like many do, because I can see the bigger picture, which is a team playing the way its manager wants them to.
It also means I'm not going to get giddy over a few flattering scorelines against shit teams.
Your posts say a lot about how concerned you are about the PR of your own online franchise IMO.

Unread 28-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
How would you have a back three of Bailly, Jones and Smalling playing against a high press? Smalling can’t even play a five yard ball correctly if he’s in forty yards of space. I’m not a fan of long ball, but at least I understand why in this game.

I think the first few games were a bit misleading. We rolled into the season high on confidence and off the back of a great pre season and played some pretty ropey teams tbh. I don’t think the late goals stat is surprising. We’ve definitely been on a lull in the last few weeks though. The problem with that is you can’t afford to let City get 8/10 points ahead if we hope to compete.
There's simple form too. We're just not playing too well atm. Missing a few players, others form has dipped. We just need to get through this phase as close as we can. If we can keep it to five points before (another) international break, we'll have done ok.

Pleased with how we kicked on second half today. We went for it a bit more and got it. Subs had an impact too.

We really need pogba back and some other options in that midfield.

Unread 28-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
I choose realism pal. That works both ways in that I don't jump on the bandwagon slating good players who aren't playing well like many do, because I can see the bigger picture, which is a team playing the way its manager wants them to.
It also means I'm not going to get giddy over a few flattering scorelines against shit teams.
Your posts say a lot about how concerned you are about the PR of your own online franchise IMO.
There is also a case then of you overrating players then.

I'm firmly in the belief that it lies with the manager and the players but, you telling me it's the manager's fault that Shaw hasn't it in him? Even though previous managers have called him out? Likewise, Herrera? I'm struggling to see what he does exactly. Miki as well today, struggling to make a simple £#%&!ing pass and, in general, just struggling to the simple things....You cannot blame that on the manager. If you do, there's a clear agenda.

Granted, things like the hoof ball, formation etc today were clearly the instructions of the manager, and I'll give him criticism for that. It was hard to watch and I got disheartened by it in the first half. But, he was justified in the end.