United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Sparky***

Default Ronaldo: To those who backed me, thankyou. To those who hated me, thankyou even more..

Ronaldo's comments in the sunday rags today. I haven't seen these posted yet, so titanic me if you wish.

Of course, I have not gone for the money. It is a new challenge and a great honour to play for Madrid Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world and they pay top wages, so it is nothing to do with money.

"The white shirt is a great honour and one I am looking forward to. It is, I think, every boy's dream to play for Real. I grew up watching them play with Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo and all the other greats and there is something about that white shirt that just attracts you. It was a great dream and, fortunately, one that is coming true."

He said: "When I won World Player of the Year, it was amazing. For a lot of people, that would be their peak. But I promise that is not my peak. I will get better than that.

"I believe I am going to improve because I am just 24. If I didn't want to improve at 24, that would be a loser's mentality.

"To go down as a Real Madrid great is very hard because they have had so many exceptional players. That has to be my aim, though. To go down as the greatest. It will take lots of work but that is my target.

"If you go down as the greatest at Madrid it means you are one of the greatest of all time."

United followers might argue that if you go down as the greatest at Old Trafford, you are one of the greatest of all time.

And his gushing praise for one of Sir Alex Ferguson's bitterest rivals is hardly likely soothe the ill-feeling sparked by his world record defection.

But Ronaldo believes he will always have a special bond with United supporters.

He said: "I really could not have asked for any more from them. There were times when the whole of England was against me but they stood strong in their support and belief for me.

"While opposition fans' hate made me stronger, the love of the United support also made me stronger.

"I just want to say thank you for all their support. I will never forget them and I hope I have given them memories that will always be with them."

"After we won the European Cup I thought there is no more I can achieve here. And when you have done all you can, you know it is time for a new challenge. I stayed one more season and it was nice to make it three titles in a row but it was my dream to play for Madrid."

Anything that has not been right with the move is my fault and nothing to do with Real Madrid or Manchester United. I opened my mouth and that is what caused the problems between the two clubs who both acted in the correct way. Yes, I would have handled things differently and not been so public."

Ronaldo has never spoken of the wink that enraged a nation. Until now. And while he stops short of an apology, Ronaldo finally accepts that his behaviour during that World Cup quarter-final three years ago was unacceptable.

He says: "Sometimes you do things because emotions are running high but Wayne is my good friend. I can't regret it because I think the whole experience made me stronger. But looking back it was not the right thing to do and not something I would do any more."

"I have done a lot of growing up since then. And when I came back from the World Cup I made the journey from a boy to a man. Coming back from the World Cup in 2006 was very hard but ultimately it was a good thing.

"The boss said the experience could make me stronger if I handled it in the right way. And the outcome of that prediction goes to show why you don't question Sir Alex Ferguson."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/spor...-year-ago.html

Unread 21-06-2009, 12:27 PM
borsuk

Unread 21-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
LOL. I thought it would be somewhere on here, but I couldn't be arsed trawling through it all.

Unread 21-06-2009, 12:29 PM
wiganste

Thumbs up

First time I'd seen it sparky, so cheers.

Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
First time I'd seen it sparky, so cheers.
I've always liked you, ste.

Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I thought it would be somewhere on here, but I couldn't be arsed trawling through it all.
Selfish.

Unread 21-06-2009, 12:31 PM
dunk

There's a part of me that hopes he wins the £#%&!ing lot in his first 3-4 years in Madrid and the £#%&!s off to Milan, wins the lot over 2-3 years before retuning to Sporting and wining the lot in Portugal, before going down in history as the greatest ever European Player, possibly THE best ever the World over.

Then, there is a part of me that hopes his career is blighted by injuries, he is shunned in Madrid and never picks up another trophy.

I differ on which option I prefer from day to day tbh.

Unread 21-06-2009, 12:33 PM
wiganste

Quote:
I've always liked you, ste.
bummer

Unread 21-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Switching Off

As someone who backed him i'm a bit upset that he is offering more thanks to the @#%&!s who slated him after the world cup

Unread 21-06-2009, 12:42 PM
J_RED

sid some good stuff about Sir Alex aswell.

Unread 21-06-2009, 01:01 PM
believe

sunk the £#%&! down

good luck to the lad. i definitely think we've seen the best of him.

Unread 21-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Mark Corrigan

Fair £#%&!s, no complaints with what he's said there. Good luck to him, just not in the champions league!!

Unread 21-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Sloane

andy wilkinson of stoke city who got sent off for cropping ron is currently on my road visiting his grandma, hes doing a bit of diy fair play to him. nice audi

Unread 21-06-2009, 01:59 PM
denis lawless

Thumbs down

dont give a shit what he thinks or what he say tbh.....havent done since last summer...but i cant see him winning 3 Spanish titles on the trot and getting to 2 CL finals in a row plus getting the top player gong along the way either....

wont boo him when he comes back with madrid...but wont cheer him either

Unread 21-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
dont give a shit what he thinks or what he say tbh.....havent done since last summer...but i cant see him winning 3 Spanish titles on the trot and getting to 2 CL finals in a row plus getting the top player gong along the way either....

wont boo him when he comes back with madrid...but wont cheer him either
I think it's pretty much a dot on the cards we'll get real madrid in the champions league next season tbh.

Unread 21-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Aloe Blacc

Theyre in the second pot this year so expect them in the group stages.

Unread 21-06-2009, 02:14 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
I think it's pretty much a dot on the cards we'll get real madrid in the champions league next season tbh.
i hope so

Unread 21-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
When asked if the move had been agreed a year ago, he replied: "No, not that I know of. Any agreements that the clubs had were private. I expressed a desire to join Madrid and the two clubs reached an agreement. This transfer is no different from any other."
standard

Unread 21-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
i hope so
you wanna be careful what you wish for lawless

Unread 21-06-2009, 02:30 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
you wanna be careful what you wish for lawless