United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Ribery and £30m instead of Ronaldo: would you be happy?
Yes 21 35.59%
No 38 64.41%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 11-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Aloe Blacc

Looks like it'll be Ribery + £40m. + Tevez money and whatever other scraps we have.....

Cannot see Ribery going for less than £40m.

Unread 11-06-2009, 11:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloe Blacc
Looks like it'll be Ribery + £40m. + Tevez money and whatever other scraps we have.....

Cannot see Ribery going for less than £40m.
He's probably going to Madrid too, though

Unread 11-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
They do.

What are they?

Running speeds.

Unread 11-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Ether

Brilliant, we're sorted for the relay in 2012 then

Unread 12-06-2009, 12:04 AM
armchair

Never would've thought of Rooney as faster than Ronny. Interesting.

Unread 12-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Ether

Where are those stats from Cazza? I have trouble believing that Ribery is nearly 25% faster than Ronnie to be perfectly honest.

Unread 12-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Brilliant, we're sorted for the relay in 2012 then

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Never would've thought of Rooney as faster than Ronny. Interesting.
doesn't say over what distance.

Unread 12-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
doesn't say over what distance.
His front door to the plastic surgery clinic.

Unread 12-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He's probably going to Madrid too, though
Let's hope so.

Unread 22-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Baron

Who's the resident Ribery expert on here? Not so much his playing style, but his mentality & footballing philosophy etc... because whilst filtering back through some old posts I stumbled across something I thought might be interesting in regards to his future.

I know Ribery has had a lot of clubs, something like 7 already, usually only stays for a short while. Whether Bayern have made him at home, or whether Klinsmann gave him all the freedom to express himself I'm not sure, so if anyone knows about him in this context let me know.

Here's a post from Serenity last September when talking about Riquelme & his time at Barca, when they were coached by Louis van Gaal... the new Bayern Munich coach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
The thing is that Van Gaal is in almost every respect a systematist, perhaps more so than any major manager of the past 20 years other than Lobanovsky; he essentially took the classic ideas of Dutch football, fostered by the likes of Michels and Cruijff, and turned them into automatisms. Similar to what Wenger has been trying to do at Arsenal, but even more extreme. So for him, the collective of the team and how it functions as a unit according to his philosophies is far more important than any individual player, and he'd much rather have a good player who fits into his system than a great one who doesn't. This was also his philosophy off the pitch, where he was renowned as both a disciplinarian - didn't hurt here that he spent eleven years as a teacher - and as an egalitarian in terms of how he treated his players.

For me, this is undoubtedly why Van Gaal had by far his biggest success at Ajax, where he had a squad of players who understood what he wanted, including many players from the Ajax youth system who were drilled in this style from day one, and who were often either coming towards the end of - Blind, Rijkaard - or just beginning - Kluivert, Seedorf, Davids, Edwin, Reiziger, etc. - their careers. This is also why he signed so many Dutch players for Barca.

Riquelme, on the other hand, is perhaps as much of an individualist as you will find in modern football. So a player of his type and temperament, a player who functions most effectively when the rest of the team plays for and around him, is in almost every respect an anathema to a coach like LvG. Really, it's a match made in hell; a prestige signing by an increasingly desperate Gaspart, made with no thought regarding how a player like Román would function under a coach like Van Gaal, or whether Van Gaal wanted him at the club (of course he didn't, and he told Riquelme this point blank).
If van Gaal reverts to type, and has a less inclined to indulge Ribery (I'm retty sure I saw him do a Ronaldo & never track back, exposing his side of the field for others to cover for him) I can see van Gaal getting the %@#$&! ache with him. Maybe van Gaal has already identified that & Bayern are playing their usual hardball for a ridiculous figure so they can indulge their new coach rather than their star player. maybe I'm talking %@#$&!s

If I were Ribery, I know who I'd rather play for manager wise, Fergie or van Gaal... not a difficult decision tbf.

Unread 22-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Zorg

I've seen a few full France matches in the past year or two and Ribbers has been magnificent in many of them, running all over the shop. He's got fantastic stamina, similar to Beckham in that respect, never stops running. There was one game against someone half-decent, I forget who, where they were just giving him the ball and letting him get on with it.

Unread 22-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I've seen a few full France matches in the past year or two and Ribbers has been magnificent in many of them, running all over the shop. He's got fantastic stamina, similar to Beckham in that respect, never stops running. There was one game against someone half-decent, I forget who, where they were just giving him the ball and letting him get on with it.

His stamina is outstanding and, like Ronnie and Giggs in his prime, he relieves a lot of pressure of the defence by carrying the ball from defence to attack - at pace if required.

Baron - he's a big team player tbh, captain of France now and he has relished the extra responsibility. It's crazy how he is so underrated in England.

Ether - will try and dig it out mate, i'll have to somehow cover the source though because it was through work.

Marlo - I'll take that bet.

Unread 22-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
His stamina is outstanding and, like Ronnie and Giggs in his prime, he relieves a lot of pressure of the defence by carrying the ball from defence to attack - at pace if required.

Baron - he's a big team player tbh, captain of France now and he has relished the extra responsibility. It's crazy how he is so underrated in England.
%@#$&!s. Sounds like a van Gaal kinda player then tbf.

Still, I'm still sure they'd struggle to turn down anything above £40m as well, much like Lyon & Benzema, the price will only be this high this Summer I reckon so why not cash in...

Unread 22-06-2009, 03:54 PM
MUFC One Love

Ribery will not be joining United.

He'll end up at Madrid.

Unread 22-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Ribery will not be joining United.

He'll end up at Madrid.

Cheers Dunk

Unread 22-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Aloe Blacc

I'm starting to think he isn't leaving Bayern at all, I mean they were content to let Ballack go on a free...why not do the same with Ribery, keep him around for another two years.

Then again he was there this season and they humiliatingly lost out on the title to Wolfsburg and didn't do much in Europe either.

All common sense would suggest taking a huge wedge this summer but these Germans are stubborn, hard headed £#%&!ers. Wouldn't surprise me if they kept him for another two years to let him go on a free as one thing is for sure, he is not signing a new contract.

Unread 22-06-2009, 03:59 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Cheers Dunk

Just can't see it mate, I'm sure there would be more speculation if United were keen on him, plus Bayern will want a ridiculous fee for him.
Closed Thread