United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Mr_Ed

Default Setanta in financial trouble

Hope they go under just for that rant against the penalty the other week...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6216984.ece

Unread 04-05-2009, 10:27 AM
dunk

The FA better hope Sky have half a bil knocking about that they don't need.

Unread 04-05-2009, 10:36 AM
denis lawless

Thumbs up

yeah...£#%&! off :banana:

Unread 04-05-2009, 11:07 AM
King Schlong

Without Setanta, boxing goes right down the shitter.

Sky, itv and the bbc don't give a £#%&! about it.

Unread 04-05-2009, 11:15 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Schlong
Sky, itv and the bbc don't give a £#%&! about it.
if my fake stat is anything to go by, neither do 3 quarters of people either

Unread 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
A fair point.

Setanta have only themselves to blame. Overpricing, producing a weak product in terms of presentation and being absolute @#%&!s to deal with. They deserve all they get. It is a shame about the boxing, but if people were actually watching it and there is anything to be made from it, Sky will pick it up. I mean, they show £#%&!ing darts ffs. They'll put any old shit on there.

Unread 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM
King Schlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Boxing is the only thing that is making Setanta any money at the moment. They have £#%&!ed up bigtime with the money they paid out for the football.

Unread 04-05-2009, 11:22 AM
King Schlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
A fair point.

Setanta have only themselves to blame. Overpricing, producing a weak product in terms of presentation and being absolute @#%&!s to deal with. They deserve all they get. It is a shame about the boxing, but if people were actually watching it and there is anything to be made from it, Sky will pick it up. I mean, they show £#%&!ing darts ffs. They'll put any old shit on there.
People watch it. They got almost 700000 viewers for Juan Manuel Marquez vs Juan Diaz and that fight was shown at 4am.

Even if Sky do pick it up, you can guarentee every single event worth watching apart from Friday fight night will be a PPV. The robbing bastards put Khan on when he wasn't even the best lightweight in britain.

Unread 04-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Twote Bohng

if you cancel please give as your reason "craig burley" as i and many others have already done

Unread 04-05-2009, 11:24 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Schlong
People watch it. They got almost 700000 viewers for Juan Manuel Marquez vs Juan Diaz and that fight was shown at 4am.

Even if Sky do pick it up, you can guarentee every single event worth watching apart from Friday fight night will be a PPV. The robbing bastards put Khan on when he wasn't even the best lightweight in britain.
Possibly, will probably still be cheaper than subscribing to Setanta though.

Unread 04-05-2009, 11:35 AM
King Schlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Possibly, will probably still be cheaper than subscribing to Setanta though.
Not if they show the amount of boxing that Setanta currently do.

They have at least two big shows from america a month and 3-4 smaller shows from Germany and elsewhere.

Plus you get football, golf, and other sports for your £12.99 with setanta so its not like you or me and paying the £12.99 for just boxing.

If Sky had all the boxing that Setanta had now, I would probably be paying somewhere around £30 a month ppv as a hardcore boxing fan on top of whatever they charge on a monthly basis for the sports package.

Unread 04-05-2009, 11:37 AM
mark o

If it wasn't for Racing UK too I would probably cancel it myself.

Unread 04-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Mr_Ed

Slightly off topic I know but I remember when ITV paid many millions to show the championship etc.

Some bloke worked out they'd paid so much and the subscriber numbers were so poor that it would have been cheaper to take each subscriber to the game in a hired limo and paid for them to have a bottle of champers whilst they were there

Seems that Sky got the balance right but anybody else has to get hugely into debt to compete.

Unread 04-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Sparky***

I wish setanta had a £#%&!ing HD Channel.

Regular setanta looks abysmal on my tv.

Unread 04-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Tumescent Throb

ITV should step in and buy the setanta package. they could easily dedicate airtime to make it work across their 4 channels.

if they market it properly they would be in a position to compete for at least one of the other packages next time around - and hopefully for the Wednesday CL coverage as well.

Unread 04-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Tumescent Throb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8032371.stm

Quote:
"In the recession you keep your Sky because that's the number one, but if you're the number two, which is nice to have in addition... then that means you're not going to get the same number of subscribers," said Toby Syfret, media analyst at Enders Analysis.

If you've got a brain you cancel them both.

Unread 04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
ITV should step in and buy the setanta package. they could easily dedicate airtime to make it work across their 4 channels.

if they market it properly they would be in a position to compete for at least one of the other packages next time around - and hopefully for the Wednesday CL coverage as well.
ITV are absolutely skint too because of the fall in advertising revenue.

Unread 04-05-2009, 12:35 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
ITV are absolutely skint too because of the fall in advertising revenue.
if they get some worth while product - some of the revenue would come back - sky pick up a lot of targeted advertising with their sports output.

Unread 04-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Sparky***

there's only one corporation who can compete with sky in terms of finances during this economic crisis.

but they apparently have an obligation to use all our money to churn out shite 30 year old cockney soap operas and moronic 'celeb' based reality shows.

Oh and plow untold millions into a news channel nobody watches either.

Unread 02-06-2009, 10:56 AM
thatsfuctit

more
Closed Thread