United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
we shouldnt be talking about players being overpriced
We pay Manchester United tax, we win things. Whats there excuse?

Unread 23-06-2009, 11:30 AM
borsuk

Quote:
we shouldnt be talking about players being overpriced
who's been overpriced, though? it's a fallacy imo:

carrick - turned into one of the top m/fders in europe and key to how we play. a bargain imo.
rio - now looks a snip for a player who has been the best defender in the world consistently since he arrived.
rooney - another bargain. look at the prices being paid this year. and i wouldn't swap wayne for anyone, kaka and ronaldo included.
ronaldo - an astonishing bargain.
hargreaves - clearly overpriced for the use we've had, but the injuries were not foreseen. had he not been injured i don't think anyone would say he wasn't worth it.
anderson - we paid a lot considering we were looking at potential. still, anderson has shown flashes of real quality and certainly seems a decent punt.
park - a bargain, has been and will be a great squad player.
nani - probably overpriced and has disappointed. again, though, he's shown flashes of what he might be capable of. even at whatever it was we ended up paying it was certainly a potential bargain, whether or not it works out that way.
berbatov - no doubt you'll disagree but it's far too early to say yet

i don't think anyone could complain about the prices we paid for evra and vidic.

some bets don't come off - djembax2, kleberson, millar, veron - but that was a particular period when we were crap in the transfer market. generally speaking, when we pay a lot we're not disappointed.

this 'we always pay over the odds' line is %@#$&!s imo. we operate at the top end of the market, so we pay top rates. and price difference between 'good' and 'very good' is far smaller than the gap between 'very good' and 'world class', if you know what i mean.

Unread 23-06-2009, 11:45 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
who's been overpriced, though? it's a fallacy imo:

carrick - turned into one of the top m/fders in europe and key to how we play. a bargain imo.
rio - now looks a snip for a player who has been the best defender in the world consistently since he arrived.
rooney - another bargain. look at the prices being paid this year. and i wouldn't swap wayne for anyone, kaka and ronaldo included.
ronaldo - an astonishing bargain.
hargreaves - clearly overpriced for the use we've had, but the injuries were not foreseen. had he not been injured i don't think anyone would say he wasn't worth it.
anderson - we paid a lot considering we were looking at potential. still, anderson has shown flashes of real quality and certainly seems a decent punt.
park - a bargain, has been and will be a great squad player.
nani - probably overpriced and has disappointed. again, though, he's shown flashes of what he might be capable of. even at whatever it was we ended up paying it was certainly a potential bargain, whether or not it works out that way.
berbatov - no doubt you'll disagree but it's far too early to say yet

i don't think anyone could complain about the prices we paid for evra and vidic.

some bets don't come off - djembax2, kleberson, millar, veron - but that was a particular period when we were crap in the transfer market. generally speaking, when we pay a lot we're not disappointed.

this 'we always pay over the odds' line is %@#$&!s imo. we operate at the top end of the market, so we pay top rates. and price difference between 'good' and 'very good' is far smaller than the gap between 'very good' and 'world class', if you know what i mean.
last 3 years how many players have we signed for about 17-18m or more?

how many have been good value for money?

thats

berbatov
nani
anderson
hargreaves

Unread 23-06-2009, 11:53 AM
borsuk

Quote:
last 3 years how many players have we signed for about 17-18m or more?

how many have been good value for money?

thats

berbatov
nani
anderson
hargreaves
we have no idea of the prices of those players or the way the deals are structured. i think our transfer policy puts pretty much everyone else's to shame over the last 5 years. a stream of good players and a lower net spend than liverpool. with the ronaldo money we're probably lower net spenders than a fair few teams.

i think all four of those players were good deals. they don't always work out the way you want them to, but at the time they were bought they were good choices and well worth a punt. you can't ask any more than that tbh.

which of the players i listed (i don't think taking a short time frame like 3 years makes any sense) do you think were overpriced? and which other teams have had better transfer policies over the last 5 or 6 years?
Closed Thread