United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Coracao

Default Seeing as we're in December, how many trophies do you think we'll go on to win?

Considering we've already won one in the charity shield...

There are another 5 possible. You'd have to fancy us strongly in both the league cup and World Club Championship, and personally I think we're favourites for the league after the run of fixtures we have had. Shame we £#%&!ed up in the Super Cup though...

Despite the rather indifferent start, we could still be on for a record breaking season. Obviously, anything could happen, and we could easily end up with the charity shield as our only success, but i find that hard to envisage

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
The Watcher

If we take the World Club Cup as seriously as the Super Cup, I think we'll loose in the final. Hopefully not. Loosing isn't a good habit obviously & hopefully winning it will remind the lads of the buzz they got in Moscow and push them on.

We have a great chance in the League Cup and I'm more hopeful about our League prospects then I was a few weeks ago. Still think we need to win every League game before leaving for Japan to have a chance.

Not so sure about the European Cup. Our defence is improving and it'll be vital in the KO stage. However, if we keep wasting chances as we have been, this is the competition in which it'll hurt us most.

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Considering we've already won one in the charity shield...
When was the final

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
When was the final
Eh?

Quote:

Not so sure about the European Cup. Our defence is improving and it'll be vital in the KO stage. However, if we keep wasting chances as we have been, this is the competition in which it'll hurt us most.
For some reason, i'm more confident for our European chances than I am for the FA Cup Probably due to team selections more than anything else.

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Carling Cup, max.
Can't see us winning the European Cup, away form is dreadful, we're not on the form of last season by any stretch of the imagination either. Barcelona will win that.
League, don't think so. De pool are top and going through a tough patch according to Carragher so we're all £#%&!ed when they hit top gear. Chelsea to win it.
F.A. Cup, don't know. Not United anyway.

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Zorg

Only scousers consider the Charity Shield a trophy.

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:42 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
For some reason, i'm more confident for our European chances than I am for the FA Cup Probably due to team selections more than anything else.
Be nice to bring the FA Cup back to OT. Been a cruel competition to us in recent seasons.

I think the 2nd round draw will be vital for our European chances. I wouldn't fancy playing Real Madrid or Inter Milan so soon. A comfortable 2nd round allowing us to peak for the Quarter/Semi finals...then who knows?

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Only scousers consider the Charity Shield a trophy.
That's because they're rarely in it.

It is still a trophy, although it is obviously nothing more than a glorified friendly...

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:47 PM
borsuk

i think the league is the priority for fergie, with us being so close now to knocking a certain bunch off a certain £#%&!ing perch...

in the cl barca are a real danger. very hungry side playing superb football atm and it looks like they'll have a relatively easy time in la liga this year, allowing them to rest players for the big knockout games.

i honestly don't think the carling cup even registers for fergie. he just sees it as an irritation.

the super cup final was a joke, with zenit (decent side in any case) halfway through their season while we were barely out of pre-season. the world club thingy is different and, from what fergie has said in the past, is one he rates.

the fa cup is a lottery but we've got as good a chance as any and i reckon the players will be very hungry to win it - most of them now have league and cl medals, but few actually have an fa cup winner's medal.

i can see a domestic double - league and fa cup and the world club thingy. the carling might fall into our laps but i can't see fergie really being bothered. retaining the cl will be really hard imo.

league, fa cup, world club champ, maybe carling.

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i think the league is the priority for fergie, with us being so close now to knocking a certain bunch off a certain £#%&!ing perch...

in the cl barca are a real danger. very hungry side playing superb football atm and it looks like they'll have a relatively easy time in la liga this year, allowing them to rest players for the big knockout games.

i honestly don't think the carling cup even registers for fergie. he just sees it as an irritation.

the super cup final was a joke, with zenit (decent side in any case) halfway through their season while we were barely out of pre-season. the world club thingy is different and, from what fergie has said in the past, is one he rates.

the fa cup is a lottery but we've got as good a chance as any and i reckon the players will be very hungry to win it - most of them now have league and cl medals, but few actually have an fa cup winner's medal.

i can see a domestic double - league and fa cup and the world club thingy. the carling might fall into our laps but i can't see fergie really being bothered. retaining the cl will be really hard imo.

league, fa cup, world club champ, maybe carling.
Quite a good point.

Of the first 11, is there only Ronaldo who has won it? Think Rio missed the 2004 final due to his ban.

Unread 03-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Chorlton74

3. league cup, world club and prem.

will have to really raise the game if they are going to retain the CL.

Unread 21-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Coracao

1 down, 4 to go.

Unread 21-12-2008, 02:15 PM
borsuk

2 down, 4 to go

charity shield - manchester united
world club championship - manchester united
carling cup - ?
fa cup - ?
fa premiership - ?
uefa champions league - ?

Unread 21-12-2008, 02:41 PM
toseeunited

winning this has given the lads a taste - and makes up for the super cup - they were all gutted after that.

good to see the lads celebrating like that - next stop: wembley carling cup

Unread 16-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Coracao

League is looking pretty good.

League Cup final.

Favourable draw in the FA Cup.

Unread 16-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Tumescent Throb

Ferguson wants the European Cup more than anything, which is interesting.

18 is in view but Inter Milan and beyond - Barca, Real, Bayern etc - looks like a far better gauge of this current United team than the domestic scene can offer this season to me unless Chelsea get their shit together sharpish

Unread 16-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Mr_Ed

The way things are turning out then it could be a great season... HOWEVER the league must be the priority.

Unread 16-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
The way things are turning out then it could be a great season... HOWEVER the league must be the priority.
United should use all the remaining league games to hold off the pack while they focus on the European Cup

just like last season

if the other teams keep up until the end so be it

Unread 16-02-2009, 07:27 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
United should use all the remaining league games to hold off the pack while they focus on the European Cup

just like last season

if the other teams keep up until the end so be it
Eh?

Unread 16-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Coracao

I can't wait until next Tuesday.

It feels like a £#%&!ing proper tie, I don't normally get too giddy for last 16 ties.
Closed Thread