United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

Default Wenger - the win flattered liverpool

He scares me when he's nice about us, it makes me think he's after something

Wenger: 'The 4-1 Win At Old Trafford Flattered Liverpool'
The Arsenal manager has waded into the debate about Liverpool's incredible win at Old Trafford by saying they were "flattered" by the result. According to Wenger, "For big spells in the game Man United dominated" and lost because they were "jaded".

Unread 17-03-2009, 03:43 PM
The Return of JC

I agree.

Liverpool thoroughly deserved their win and were the better side in all departments, but 4-1 was very harsh on us.

I thought it was comfortable rather than a hammering.

Unread 17-03-2009, 03:44 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Gerrard said the win flattered them too.

Unread 17-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Flattered them like a pancake he said

Unread 17-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

the win did flatter them, and whilst they did deserve it, wengers comments are right. it just worries me when wenger is nice about us.

he can £#%&! off if he's after fergies job

Unread 17-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Zorg

Always liked Wenger, knows his stuff he does

Unread 17-03-2009, 03:53 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Quite liked his interview before the game:

Geoff Shreeves: "If you could only win one trophy in the rest of your career, what would it be?"

Gerrard: "Don't ask stupid questions, Geoff."

I hate him, but mainly by default. He's a fantastic player and I wouldn't begrduge him a winner's medal one day. As long it's about 32-18 to us at the time and he's just a brain in a jar!

Unread 17-03-2009, 03:56 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Quite liked his interview before the game:

Geoff Shreeves: "If you could only win one trophy in the rest of your career, what would it be?"

Gerrard: "Don't ask stupid questions, Geoff."

I hate him, but mainly by default. He's a fantastic player and I wouldn't begrduge him a winner's medal one day. As long it's about 32-18 to us at the time and he's just a brain in a jar!
£#%&! off mate, he's a @#%&!. And be careful what you wish for.

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:02 PM
borsuk

the match was very tight overall up to the sending off, with united starting very well, liverpool coming back - even first half, liverpool shading it maybe. second half was all united up to the sending off, but liverpool might have come back into it in the second half, who knows. going down to ten men and immediately down 3-1 finished the match off, though.

still can't understand the tactics or the 11 chosen, tbh. we've really given the ball away badly in the last two games. we need fletcher badly.

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:02 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
£#%&! off mate, he's a @#%&!. And be careful what you wish for.
He's no more a @#%&! than the average footballer.

You seem to not know the difference between 'begrudge' and 'wish' too.

I respect him (sort of). Doesn't mean I hate him/them any less.

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:03 PM
thatsfuctit

I don't wish him a winners medal, but he is a phenomenal player, he has dug them out of the shit so often it's untrue.

I heard Carragher interviewed last week, and if someone else had voiced it and it wasn't in scouse, you'd have thought he was talking sense.

I am off for a wash, i feel dirty.

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:04 PM
sullers

The Scouse love-in on this thread

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:04 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
the match was very tight overall up to the sending off, with united starting very well, liverpool coming back - even first half, liverpool shading it maybe. second half was all united up to the sending off, but liverpool might have come back into it in the second half, who knows. going down to ten men and immediately down 3-1 finished the match off, though.

still can't understand the tactics or the 11 chosen, tbh. we've really given the ball away badly in the last two games. we need fletcher badly.
I thought team selection was fine. The only thing that frustrated me about the tactics was that we didn't push Ronaldo onto Carragher's side - especially after he was booked. Other than that, I don't think our approach was wrong. We were just collectively and individually shite. Sometimes you just play crap.

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:06 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullers
The Scouse love-in on this thread
No love-in. Merely the ability to acknowledge when you're beaten by the better side and acknowledge quality. Something we heavily criticise them for not doing over the past 15 years.

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Zorg

Quote:
He's no more a @#%&! than the average footballer.
What about harping on about diving players 'ruining the game' despite being one of the worst offenders himself?

Ronaldo dives but I don't recall him expressly criticising other players for it.

He's a cheating piece of shit. Fantastic player, yes, but a total @#%&!.

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:12 PM
borsuk

Quote:
I thought team selection was fine. The only thing that frustrated me about the tactics was that we didn't push Ronaldo onto Carragher's side - especially after he was booked. Other than that, I don't think our approach was wrong. We were just collectively and individually shite. Sometimes you just play crap.
individual errors, yup, no argument. but this was always going to be a high intensity game where liverpool had to win and would come at us with everything they had. for me we needed to play fletcher in the middle, ideally in a three with carrick and giggs. couldn't believe it when i saw anderson and carrick together. just doesn't work imo. carrick and fletcher, yes. anderson and fletcher, ok. giggs and fletcher, yes.

still, you're right that it doesn't matter one bit if vidic suddenly starts playing like titus bumble on acid.

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:14 PM
The Return of JC

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
What about harping on about diving players 'ruining the game' despite being one of the worst offenders himself?

Ronaldo dives but I don't recall him expressly criticising other players for it.

He's a cheating piece of shit. Fantastic player, yes, but a total @#%&!.
His diving is certainly his worst quality, yeah. But with Nani, Ronaldo and Rooney in the side, I find it hard to criticise players for diving.

Apart from his face, voice and his heart, I don't find him that bad

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:16 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
individual errors, yup, no argument. but this was always going to be a high intensity game where liverpool had to win and would come at us with everything they had. for me we needed to play fletcher in the middle, ideally in a three with carrick and giggs. couldn't believe it when i saw anderson and carrick together. just doesn't work imo. carrick and fletcher, yes. anderson and fletcher, ok. giggs and fletcher, yes.

still, you're right that it doesn't matter one bit if vidic suddenly starts playing like titus bumble on acid.
Anderson and Carrick is one of my favourite combinations. I can't really see how those two, Park's energy and Ronaldo is such a bad four. Anderson was probably the best of the four, but the most surprising inclusion. The others were first choice 'gimmes'. I just don't think you can account for playing that badly. We set up fine, but lost the battles.

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:19 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Anderson and Carrick is one of my favourite combinations. I can't really see how those two, Park's energy and Ronaldo is such a bad four. Anderson was probably the best of the four, but the most surprising inclusion. The others were first choice 'gimmes'. I just don't think you can account for playing that badly. We set up fine, but lost the battles.
ok, we'll have to differ. generally speaking, anderson only really convinces alongside fletcher or hargreaves.

fletcher has been central to our best performances this season. when he didn't play against inter i was sure he was being rested for the weekend. for me, fletcher was a given for that game. still, what do i know? maybe he's knackered, maybe he's got a niggle, maybe he's been poor in training, who knows.

Unread 17-03-2009, 04:23 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
ok, we'll have to differ. generally speaking, anderson only really convinces alongside fletcher or hargreaves.

fletcher has been central to our best performances this season. when he didn't play against inter i was sure he was being rested for the weekend. for me, fletcher was a given for that game. still, what do i know? maybe he's knackered, maybe he's got a niggle, maybe he's been poor in training, who knows.
Opinions and all that. Like I say, the one thing that baffled me was why Ronaldo didn't move over to the left. Carragher struggled when anyone ran at him, so why not put the best runner of them all (who was also struggling against Aurelio).

I think Fletcher's form has dipped in recent weeks. He probably deserves a decent crack now though, probably at the expense of Carrick. I'd start him and Ando on Saturday.

For the record, I thought the team selection against Inter was far more obviously worse.
Closed Thread