United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Default Let Darron Gibson represent the country he wants to

It is an outrage that Northern Irish FA are asking FIFA to forbid Darron from representing the Republic.

A bloody outrage.

Only last year did they ask FIFA to forbid any of their players holding a Papist passport.

Now when a good prospect comes along they're only happy to change their choon.

Unread 02-02-2007, 10:20 AM
antonin jablonsky

Is he from Londonderry?

Unread 02-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Yup. Funny thing is, he calls it something else. I think he's a bit odd.
If you hold a passport for a country, you should be allowed to represent said country. But you know what baffles me Antonin? Do you? The sheer hypocracy of it all. Only last year young Mr. Gibson would have been forbidden to play with a paddy passport if the good people at the IFA got their way.

Sometimes I despair.

Unread 02-02-2007, 10:44 AM
antonin jablonsky

I don't really understand this? Does he have dual nationality?

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
It is an outrage that Northern Irish FA are asking FIFA to forbid Darron from representing the Republic.A bloody outrage.

Only last year did they ask FIFA to forbid any of their players holding a Papist passport.

Now when a good prospect comes along they're only happy to change their choon.
Didn't know this and obviously a waste of time. But it's a fair point. As for the other 2 lines - WUM !!!!!!!

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
antonin jablonsky

How is he qualified for the Republic though, I don't understand?

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:04 AM
elephantstone

he's Irish, simple really

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:05 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
brilliant .. even if it wasnt meant to be a joke

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:05 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
he went to dublin for a day trip

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:06 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
If he was born in Londonderry doesn't that make him Northern Irish and as such qualified to play for them. How is he qualified for the Republic? I'm not trying to cause an argument btw, I just want to know.

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:09 AM
MUFC One Love

From what I've seen he looks like he'll definitely make it at United. He needs to be given the chance though.

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:10 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
From what I've seen he looks like he'll definitely make it at United. He needs to be given the chance though.
Yup a fantastic prospect.

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:19 AM
wee man

Quote:
If he was born in Londonderry doesn't that make him Northern Irish and as such qualified to play for them. How is he qualified for the Republic? I'm not trying to cause an argument btw, I just want to know.
Cause the roi have their own rules and allow themselves to "claim" players from both countries. If Scotland wanted Rooney and he wanted to play for them it wouldn't happen.

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:20 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
Cause the roi have their own rules and allow themselves to "claim" players from both countries. If Scotland wanted Rooney and he wanted to play for them it wouldn't happen.
Well that can't be legal under FIFA rules can it?

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:25 AM
wee man

Quote:
Well that can't be legal under FIFA rules can it?
I have nibbled but don't fancy it. So shall bite another day on a tastier morsel. And it's my birthday. Sad for Gibson though. Badly advised.

Unread 02-02-2007, 11:28 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
I have nibbled but don't fancy it. So shall bite another day on a tastier morsel. And it's my birthday. Sad for Gibson though. Badly advised.
Not sure what you mean but if Gibson is Northern Irish and has no other qualification then the NI FA are correct in their stance aren't they? In fact surely it shouldn't have got that far in that FIFA should've assessed his qualification themselves and stated he cannot play for the Republic?

Unread 02-02-2007, 12:09 PM
jem

Default gibson

shouldn't be allowed to choose who he plays for unless he is properly qualified to play for more than one country. I doubt he went to dublin for a day; it was probably just his grandfather who t'ought about going there (which was enough to make him a t'inker).

the irish have a history of thieving and fielding players with very tenuous links. they're as bad as the welsh cricket team.

Unread 02-02-2007, 12:12 PM
The Real Roxanne

Quote:
He has a potato chip on his shoulder.

Unread 02-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

For anyone who has any idea what they're talking about they will know that citizens of NI have the right to hold an Irish passport if they please.

If he holds an Irish passport then he should have the right to play for Ireland.
Wether he should have the right to hold an Irish passport is another subject.

Personally I'm all for it, because he's good. McGeady for instance is as Irish as Clinton Morrison.
They should £#%&! off, because they're shite.

Unread 02-02-2007, 12:40 PM
celtbion

a) I see Ed Joyce saved England cricket's sorry ass today

b) Gibson is from "Derry" as far as he and most of the people in that city are concerned.

c) Derry City, the local football club there, play in the ROI league.

d) Anyone in the North is eligible for a ROI passport.

e) Mentioning Wayne Rooney going to play for Scotland is an interesting example. He being of Galway traveller stock.

f) I'd be astonished if the IFA are genuinely kicking up a fuss about this (I see no link). Trying to force one of Gibson's stock to play for the Windsor Park team (sponsored by ZIP firelighters) would seem a good way of ensuring an even greater flux of Catholics to go play for the Republic.

g) I'm still hoping I'll see Jonny Evans and Darron Gibson playing in an Ireland shirt together before they're finished their careers.
Closed Thread