United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Sparky***

Default The 'Safe Standing' debate

Where are we on this these days? Is it something that is still actively on the agenda or have the hillsborough campaign zealots completely destroyed any chance of it?

Obviously it doesn't affect me in my cosy chair watching multiple games on computer and tv, but i just wondered.

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Wez

Zelda (Aspinall) was going around all the clubs asking them not to back it, the sooner she dies the better.

Just because that lot cant behave themselves the rest of the country has to follow suit

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
Zelda (Aspinall) was going around all the clubs asking them not to back it, the sooner she dies the better.

Just because that lot cant behave themselves the rest of the country has to follow suit
On what grounds does she oppose it? Is she suggesting that hillsborough happened because people were simply standing up?

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Wez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
On what grounds does she oppose it? Is she suggesting that hillsborough happened because people were simply standing up?
Rent a gob's quote

Quote:
"I will be writing to all clubs as well, and putting a case very strongly that standing must never be brought back. I will putting my point across to all the clubs that our group - not just me but the vast majority of families - completely oppose any form of standing."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...aigner-3122805

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
It was the bizzies that caused it wasn't it?

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Bunker Buster

Not arsed, won't change or improve anything......

All aways are standing, you stand abroad its an elephant on the concourse...

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:16 PM
otbarney

Hmmmmm, yet the vermin fans stand up at the majority of games, including at home.

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:17 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
All of them I think ..

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bigbollox
It was the bizzies that caused it wasn't it?
Yes, they were a big part of the problem. But remove the fences on the "pens" and the disaster never happens. The fences were the main problem. Take those out of the equation and people would have simply spilled onto the pitch.

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Yes, they were a big part of the problem. But remove the fences on the "pens" and the disaster never happens. The fences were the main problem. Take those out of the equation and people would have simply spilled onto the pitch.
That's not actually true, the pen standing barriers were part of the problem...

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Wez

In this day and age it would be nice for people to have the choice

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:22 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbarney
Hmmmmm, yet the vermin fans stand up at the majority of games, including at home.
They were all stood yesterday and there were no deaths

Sadly

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Precisely, which that silly cow seems to completely disregard. I've had more injuries since seating was introduced from taking the skin off my shins and bruises than I ever had standing up. Standing itself isn't inherently dangerous, they seem to manage perfectly well at lower league football grounds and rock concerts without masses of crush injuries

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Nah, it was because they were standing up. If people were allowed to stand in rows with flip-up seats, they'd instantly die in their thousands.

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:26 PM
andyroo

Standing didn't cause the deaths, the report says as much. But it also says that seated crowds are easier to police. That's the long and short of it.

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Twitchy

Works well with the standing sections in Germany, no reason they shouldn't introduce that at least.

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
They were all stood yesterday and there were no deaths

Sadly

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Red Al

Personally I would bring standing to all areas of OT that used to have them and extra in the Stretford end and I am sick of these £#%&!ing dippers banging on against it all the time :shakehead:
As said before the high fences removed along with cctv and controlled numbers in there and it will be as safe as seating no problem
The seats at OT are shite anyway I.e. To bloody small and the place has never been the same since.

It works in Germany so it can work here

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Standing didn't cause the deaths, the report says as much. But it also says that seated crowds are easier to police. That's the long and short of it.
True, but it's out of date, as the safe standing people want to introduce isn't anything like the crumbling, piss-stained deathtrap terraces from years ago. I can't see how people standing in rows like the German ones are any harder to police than if they were sitting down.

Unread 15-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Al
Personally I would bring standing to all areas of OT that used to have them and extra in the Stretford end and I am sick of these £#%&!ing dippers banging on against it all the time :shakehead:
As said before the high fences removed along with cctv and controlled numbers in there and it will be as safe as seating no problem
The seats at OT are shite anyway I.e. To bloody small and the place has never been the same since.

It works in Germany so it can work here
At old Trafford it's far far too late.....
Closed Thread