United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-06-2013, 02:33 PM
plopborsky

Default United 13/14 Formation and Style - Moyes

Last season although we won the league I still could not figure out our formation or style.

I don't have a £#%&!ing clue what moyes style is either.

Still not sure playing 1 up top suites us either, chico deserves more time on the field and playing rooney as deep as fergie did was not working out for him or us

The 3 behind RVP never really performed either kaggers showed glimpses of what he can produce, wellbz looks good but fell apart in the box, nani was his inconsistent self and young well the least said the better.

Do you think moyes will go with a 4-4-2?

Unread 19-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Mr Castro

I don't reckon he will, purely because he always played 5 in the midfield at Everton with the support to the striker through a fellani type.

Unread 19-06-2013, 02:42 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
I don't reckon he will, purely because he always played 5 in the midfield at Everton with the support to the striker through a fellani type.
are you calling rooney the fellani type?

Unread 19-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Zorg

Just tell them to go out there and enjoy themselves.

Unread 19-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
are you calling rooney the fellani type?
If he stays, sure. Just that link man between the midfield and attack. Kagawa could even play there.

Unread 19-06-2013, 02:48 PM
redhegemony

Reckon he might play someone in the nets and 4 defenders, possibly a left footed player somewhere in front.

Unread 19-06-2013, 02:48 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Just tell them to go out there and enjoy themselves.

Unread 19-06-2013, 03:09 PM
barca99

Hopefully one that can fit RVP, Rooney and Kagawa in

Unread 19-06-2013, 03:20 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
Hopefully one that can fit RVP, Rooney and Kagawa in
plus two proper wingers and a 3-man midfield.

Unread 19-06-2013, 03:23 PM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
plus two proper wingers and a 3-man midfield.
How does that work out assuming you are picking carrick?

Unread 19-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

United's style will not change. Width will remain key.

Moyes likes wide players and is happy for them to come inside or even to play through ...

He likes split strikers long ...

He is happy to go 4-5-1 ...

And by default he rigidly sticks to a back 4.

All a bit samey really ...

His challenge is to get the team passing the ball quicker but also to stop giving the ball away so £#%&!ing cheaply when linking midfield and attack.

Unread 19-06-2013, 03:37 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
United's style will not change. Width will remain key.

Moyes likes wide players and is happy for them to come inside or even to play through ...

He likes split strikers long ...

He is happy to go 4-5-1 ...

And by default he rigidly sticks to a back 4.

All a bit samey really ...

His challenge is to get the team passing the ball quicker but also to stop giving the ball away so £#%&!ing cheaply when linking midfield and attack.
who would be your 5 in the middle?

the 3 central positions we don't have the quality to really compete

carrick tom c Anderson/fletcher

Unread 19-06-2013, 03:52 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Busby reference, innit? Though he could actually be very tactically shrewd when the occasion demanded it, of course......

Unread 19-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:

Carrick and Tom C are essential.

I'd go for Fabio or Jones as the 3rd one.

Unread 19-06-2013, 04:12 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
Carrick and Tom C are essential.

I'd go for Fabio or Jones as the 3rd one.
is that really the answer though pal, we really need to strengthen that midfield no doubt, but the wide positions are vital in that formation and tony v and young have been so poor this would only leave us with zaha (unproven) and nani. Welbz wide left does not fill me with excitement either.

I really love chico and I don't know why would like to see him start more games

Unread 19-06-2013, 04:51 PM
92ToBury

Unread 19-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

The key to the United 5 is that it isn't really a 5 though intit ...

Width is essential. 4-5-1 is a defensive mechanism invariably requiring more attacking types to drop in. Using the current squad, I wonder if a combination of Kagawa and Carrick playing a bit higher up the pitch would work, with RvP ahead of them and probably Jones behind them in front of the centre backs. The we have a total football style solution on the right with Rafael and Valencia, where they could play one ahead of the other or even have one wide and one tucked in, with possibly Evra and Fabio on the left in a similar vein. Pretty flexible and fluid set-up, and easy set-up for interchanging personnel too without affecting the shape. Evans, Cleverley, Anderson even, as well as the forwards and Ashley Young could all slot in when required.

Unread 20-06-2013, 06:15 AM
believe

De Gea
Rafael - Vidic - Rio - Evra
Carrick - Anderson
Valencia - Kagawa - Rooney
RvP-

De Gea
Rafael - Evans - Rio - Evra
Valencia - Carrick - Jones - Young
Rooney
RvP-

De Gea
Rafael - Vidic - Smalling- Evra
Carrick
Valencia - Kagawa - Rooney - Nani
RvP-

These and lots of others. The biggest test of his management won't be what formation he picks though, we can all do that as I've just proved, but it's going from formation to formation depending on what the test is.

Even on this thread, people are stating that "he playes 4-5-1 and that's what he'll do" when we all know that doesn't work when you're challenging for four trophies per season.

There isn't a person in the world who knows what our best team is but the true test for Moyes picking the best eleven to win games week in week out. He certainly won't get away with going to Anfield with choices he's made in the past.

Unread 20-06-2013, 07:19 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

There isn't a person in the world who knows what our best team is but the true test for Moyes picking the best eleven to win games week in week out. He certainly won't get away with going to Anfield with choices he's made in the past.
Fergie you mean? Particularly the bit about Anfield? We have been brilliant at making a shit Liverpool look like world beaters for a while now, even last season with 10 men they did well against us for the most part. As for the first bit, Fergie picked some daft teams which, you can lose any match but Spurs at home last season was a joke, as soon as he changed it we looked far more comfortable, we should never have lost that match. Let's not forget Norwich away, when you go to places like that to get results they will try and out work you etc so what did Fergie do? Play Giggs in a two man midfield. Moyes hasn't got the luxury so he will play pretty much his best side in every league game and won't be putting square pegs in round holes.

Unread 20-06-2013, 08:17 AM
veli_galatasaray

Muslera to Utd?
Closed Thread