Unread 19-03-2009, 10:38 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
less of a conversation more of a legend pestering
i know...but i dont mind it really ...its the price you have to pay innit

Unread 20-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Fountz

Wink Aah, the old spotting of Bill Foulkes conundrum...

Know the dilemma. I was in the queue at John Lewis in Cheadle with a very difficult to contain 5 year old a couple of days before Christmas.. We were in the bendy lane thing to pay for something and there appeared to be an elderly couple monopolising at least 2 of the 3 people on tills.. after several minutes of no progress I started to mutter loudly, however on closer inspection of the Gentleman concerned I realised it was Bill Foulkes.. then changing tack, I said to my lad.. "do you see that man there ? ...he used to play for United !" ...Mr Foulkes undoubtedly heard this and I was hoping for either my lad to say something back, or Mr Foulkes to make eye contact which would allow me to say...

"mr foulkes, what an integral part of manchester uniteds history you are. Survivor of munich, scorer of a goal in the 68 semi v real madrid, and victor in Sir Matts finest hour"

...but unfortunately my Son looked rather non-plussed and nonchantly retorted, "so does that mean he'll know Wayne Rooney ?" ...just as Mr and Mrs Foulkes walked pass.. he did make eye contact with me, however his expression wasn't one of raised eyebrows and a half smile, ..as if to say, it's so nice to still be recognised, or even.. Kids Eh !! ...no, it was one of these.. ....as if to say, "we're done now.. happy ? ..you bastard" .....

Unread 20-03-2009, 08:46 AM
red @rmy

Should of invited him to the next curry night.

Unread 20-03-2009, 09:03 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
Should of invited him to the next curry night.
yeah.....its easy to say that now, sat at your PC......but when youre unexpectedly confronted by a Legend, its amazing how perfectly sensible, level headed people turn into village idiots

Unread 20-03-2009, 09:40 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
I'd have just gaped at him to be honest. What a hero (him obviously not you)
why obviously ?

Unread 20-03-2009, 09:52 AM
no fun

:gayfight::gayfight::gayfight:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
Loving your recent work Mr Jaff

Is it due to our hug outside Hark towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
and our special moment sat outside here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...37888198757761

the killing of georgie

Unread 20-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Jack Duckworth

good thread.

i've been tongue-tied every time i've met a utd legend. my 'finest' hour was when i was at uni and i saw brian kidd in town, around the time he was recovering from cancer.

i wanted to say "kiddo, great to see you looking so well. how are you feeling? is there any chance of you coming back to united, all the fans love you, you're an integral part of united's history....", and then maybe end up spending the afternoon drinking with him and have him regale me with tales of united days of yore.

instead, i inexplicably shouted "KIDDO!! £#%&!ING LEGEND, MATE!"

to his eternal credit, he laughed and said "cheers, pal", instead of telling me off for shouting and swearing at him in a public place.

Unread 20-03-2009, 11:02 AM
denis lawless

Jack....youre the £#%&!in legend mate

it reminds me of another occasion when i made a tit of myself in front of not one, not 2 but 3 United legends.....

i was about 16 and had sneaked into the United Exec suite (which was behind the South Stand at the time)......in there i came across Joe Jordan, Gordon McQueen and Lou Macari having a spot of lunch with some 4th guy

i went over with an autograph book in my sweaty little hand....totally ignoring the fact they were eating and probably didnt want disturbing.....to their credit they each signed my book......but the silence was deafening so to break it i blurted out to GM......"that was a £#%&!IN great header you scored last week Gordon"

Lou Macari spat something out as he burst out laughing at Joe Jordon sat opposite him

i thanked them and beat a hasty retreat

Unread 20-03-2009, 11:08 AM
elephantstone

I have met a few united players and they were all sound apart from Kevin Moran who was a bit up his own arse.

I met Ralphie Milne once in a pub in Prestwich I had 12 double brandies with him 6 each all at last orders.....top man

Unread 20-03-2009, 11:15 AM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
yeah.....its easy to say that now, sat at your PC......but when youre unexpectedly confronted by a Legend, its amazing how perfectly sensible, level headed people turn into village idiots
We are talking Fredsters here,are there any?

Unread 20-03-2009, 11:19 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
We are talking Fredsters here,are there any?
the jury is still out on that one Ged

Unread 20-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Fountz

Talking Nice one Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
instead, i inexplicably shouted "KIDDO!! £#%&!ING LEGEND, MATE!"

to his eternal credit, he laughed and said "cheers, pal", instead of telling me off for shouting and swearing at him in a public place.

My Mother in Law ( Who has the warmth of being Italian but the bluntness of having lived over on the Derbyshire/Yorkshire border for decades ) ..just waltzes up to them and starts talking. She doesn't give a shit.

She was staying with us one weekend and we took her around Marks & Spencers in Handforth Dean.. realised the conversation we were having with her was one-way and she'd disappeared.. attempted to retrace our footsteps, however no need she's got a gob on her like a female Frankie Detori.. unmistakeable and you can hear it for miles.. went round the other side of the isle and saw her down at the bottom engrossed in conversation with a couple.. as we approached she was saying, "you look so much better in real life, not like on the tele" ..and "you look really well, because at one time you weren't very well at all were you ??" ...the woman had a right grin on her and was laughing away.. closer inspection revealed the bloke to be none other than Graeme Souness

We crossed again 5 minutes later and they both smiled and said hello to my Mother-in-Law but by this time she was in full shopping mode and completely blanked them :shakehead: ... they found this even funnier and grinned at us

Genuinely nice bloke and nowhere near as big as I'd imagined.

Unread 20-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Warren Hobhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
his wife was buying loads

me - a chicken, some new potatoes and some carrots

no, but he asked if I knew anyone who would buy his daughter a house
not just any chicken, new potatoes and carrots; M&S chicken, new potatoes and carrots...

Unread 20-03-2009, 11:55 AM
irk

i share the a doctor with kiddo. i saw him in there a couple of months back. i wanted to say something, but shit out.

i like to think we shared a moment when he passed me and made eye contact. i like to think it was a cool unspoken mutual recognition of a local great and an example of the sacred bond that exists among the brotherhood of reds, but in truth it was more likely a wild-eyed and giddy stare on my part and a bewildered, slightly concerned avoidance of conversation with a likely mental patient on his.

Unread 20-03-2009, 12:01 PM
MUFC One Love

I seen Robbie Savage in Selfridges a few weeks back. I was the same.

No, I didn't really I just started to think about that story off RI when a forumite nearly had a fight with him, was it Mobboss?

Unread 22-03-2009, 09:13 PM
no fun

saw bob greaves in timperley village today

Unread 22-03-2009, 09:16 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
saw bob greaves in timperley village today
ace
Closed Thread