United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:21 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
not sure what you are trying to prove.

we had a bad game over the weekend and most of our best players were poor.

only player that can come out of the game with any credit is probably tevez.
Wasn't trying to prove anything, really, the original post that you were reacting to was me saying, in a roundabout kind of was, that Carrick has been poor for 2 games due to the absence of Fletcher, you then jumped in attacking Carrick (who you don't like), seemingly in an attempt to deflect attention form another poor Anderson performance (not his fault, shouldn't have been picked, IMO, not in a 2 man midfield anyway).

FWIW, I wasn't impressed with Tevez, again, the more he plays and the more I see him play I can't help but think he doesn't offer enough. I love his attitude and his hardwork and am constantly willing him to burst into life, but it is plain he doesn't frighten teams, they find him much easier to defend against than Rooney and Berbatov.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Whalefish

The entire XI were shit on Saturday. Hopefully it's a freak result, put it to bed and crack on.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:23 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Wasn't trying to prove anything, really, the original post that you were reacting to was me saying, in a roundabout kind of was, that Carrick has been poor for 2 games due to the absence of Fletcher, you then jumped in attacking Carrick (who you don't like), seemingly in an attempt to deflect attention form another poor Anderson performance (not his fault, shouldn't have been picked, IMO, not in a 2 man midfield anyway).

F
assumption.
i just wasnt impressed with carricks performance and you decided to play him off against anderson for some reason.

there is nothing to suggest i dont like carrick. he just had a stinker and was subbed. something i think fergie did to show he wasnt impressed and i dont think anyone thought he would.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
maybe 1 and a few half chances.

he also played a good ball which help draw the penalty we got.

he didnt have a blinder by any means but a decent game which was why he stayed on the pitch on saturday and wasnt subbed as usual.

will you judge ALL out strikers on goal attempts?
how many goal attempts did Rooney have?

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:24 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
about as many as bretdner for arsenal saturday. makes them great eh?

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I thought Tevez had a poor game tbh. Worked hard and a decent pass for Park but if his finishing was better could've scored a couple. The bit in the second half where he played Skrtel - pushing him into his goal - and not the ball (which was much easier) left me speechless.

I still fail to understand why he tries to nick it past a defender and tries to run past him. The defender more often than not clears it due to his lack of pace. He tried it to Hypia on Saturday and couldn't beat him. Pack it in. Get your head up, hold onto the ball and look for a pass.
I think, for pretty much all his years he's played in 'slow' leagues. Argentina, Brazil etc. Habit of a lifetime to think he can burst past a player - the English league is the quickest in the world & he's basically not fast. At all. Anyone who can't run Hypia is slow. Doesn't excuse his inability to pass first time or release the ball at the right time to a colleague.

I know it's harsh as £#%&!, and I said it before, but he's an exotic Dirk Kuyt (minus Kuyt's goals this season). Which isn't good enough for us. Why the £#%&! he can't just play a bit more like last season, one touch passing etc is beyond me. He showed a glimpse at Fulham in the cup, then has promptly returned to running around a lot since.

Anderson, Carrick, Park (why the £#%&! was he trying to play through the middle & Rooney out on the left ) weren't exactly supplying him with crisp passes & making time & space for returns but frankly I'm getting the hump with the whole team this last few weeks. They've been on a magnificent run, but it's ended in a shocking, shocking way. I can only hope the response is what Fergie said it should be.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:26 PM
dunk

Quote:
assumption.
i just wasnt impressed with carricks performance and you decided to play him off against anderson for some reason.

there is nothing to suggest i dont like carrick. he just had a stinker and was subbed. something i think fergie did to show he wasnt impressed and i dont think anyone thought he would.
No, that was you. I made no mention of Anderson, how he played or anything until...

Quote:
2nd game back from injury.

do we only used that excuse for carrick then?
Defending your man as a good woman should.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I don't give a flying £#%&! about Arsenal (although Arshavin's goal reminded me of RvN in Basle)

it was a simple question

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:28 PM
marlo

[quote=dunk;1431776]No, that was you. I made no mention of Anderson, how he played or anything until...

Quote:
2nd game back from injury.

do we only used that excuse for carrick then?[ /QUOTE]

Defending your man as a good woman should.
it was andersons 4th game back from injury if we include reserves though

theres nothing to say i was referring to him.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:29 PM
dunk

Quote:
£#%&!ing hell, how many did he miss

I think he;ll be a fine player though, one day

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:29 PM
MUFC One Love

Carrick was awful on Wednesday and Saturday. After Wednesday I suggested Carrick was quite bad because he was playing with Scholes, and Scholes was also awful imo. Nobody was saying that whenever Carrick has a bad game it's 'cos of his partner in midfield, so why do people keep referring to this when debating it? As if people are saying Carrick NEVER has a bad game or something. On Saturday he looked tired and it was bizarre to play him and Anderson as a 2, considering Carrick is clearly tired, and had a bad game on Wednesday. Anderson was all awful positionally and he didn't really excel at anything else, and with Carrick having a bad game, and Vidic having a 'mare you can see why we lost.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:31 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
I thought Tevez had a poor game tbh. Some effort and a decent pass for Park but if his finishing was better could've scored a couple. Sorry, his finishing should've been better. The bit in the second half where he played Skrtel - pushing him into his goal - and not the ball (which was much easier) left me speechless.

I still fail to understand why he tries to nick it past a defender and tries to run past him. The defender more often than not clears it due to his lack of pace. He tried it to Hypia on Saturday and couldn't beat him. Pack it in. Get your head up, hold onto the ball and look for a pass.
Yep, thought he was poor myself, as was Rooney. But even though Rooney was playing outwide etc he still looked more threatening than Tevez. For me Tevez just isn't dangerous enough to warrant this status he gets, he is so off the pace it's unbelievable.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:32 PM
dunk

Quote:
it was andersons 4th game back from injury if we include reserves though

theres nothing to say i was referring to him.
To whom were you referring then? Mr. (poorly) hidden agenda, just out of interest?

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:33 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
I don't give a flying £#%&! about Arsenal (although Arshavin's goal reminded me of RvN in Basle)

it was a simple question
6 shots.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
6 shots.
they didn't have 6 shots between them in fact

what they did muster was no real trouble to the vermin goal

and when they were in great positions they never got the ball

the point is that this season they are United's least effective partnership

football is a team game

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:47 PM
MUFC One Love

We need a goal scoring midfielder imo, an all rounder, someone with a good engine. We needed one last summer as well imo. Hopefully Fergie will address it. Next season is huge for Anderson imo, he has to step up. I can see Nani being sold this summer to. Just got a feeling he will be offloaded.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:48 PM
MUFC One Love

One think I realised on Saturday was we do miss Berbatov, he's a great focal point and is starting to get a good understanding with the other players. In recent weeks I've been thinking maybe he doesn't deserve to start and I wanted Tevez to start against Inter and Liverpool (mainly 'cos I knew they'd be high tempo game and Tevez would chase them around) but I thought even when he came on on Saturday, Berbatov brought an assurance to our attacks. If it had stayed 2-1 and Vidic hadn't been sent off I reckon we'd have got the equaliser.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:51 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
One think I realised on Saturday was we do miss Berbatov, he's a great focal point and is starting to get a good understanding with the other players. In recent weeks I've been thinking maybe he doesn't deserve to start and I wanted Tevez to start against Inter and Liverpool (mainly 'cos I knew they'd be high tempo game and Tevez would chase them around) but I thought even when he came on on Saturday, Berbatov brought an assurance to our attacks. If it had stayed 2-1 and Vidic hadn't been sent off I reckon we'd have got the equaliser.
agreed. we looked brilliant and dangerous after the subs.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
We need a goal scoring midfielder imo, an all rounder, someone with a good engine. We needed one last summer as well imo. Hopefully Fergie will address it. Next season is huge for Anderson imo, he has to step up. I can see Nani being sold this summer to. Just got a feeling he will be offloaded.
Next season is a big season for Anderson and Nani. Neither will be offloaded as, at United, the future is always in mind when we buy players such as them.

Everyone at the club admitted that they offered more last season than was imagined or expected, this season they have performed as most thought they would last year. Next year they will have to push on, and they will. No question about that.

Unread 16-03-2009, 12:54 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
agreed. we looked brilliant and dangerous after the subs.
You was never going to agree. But we did. If it wasn't for that sending off and them scoring from that free kick we'd have got an equaliser imo. Berbatov brings an assurance to our play and with Giggs on we'd have created. Tevez probably won't be at United next season, I trust Fergie's judgment tbh.
Closed Thread