United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Fatboy Shrek

Default It's quite odd that we don't have a first choice central midfield

When Chelsea and the vermin play a big game, you know who's starting in their midfield.

We have:

Scholo
Giggs
Carrick
Anderson
Fletch

Throw Hargreaves into the mix next year. It must be very rare for such a successful side to have so much rotation in the spine of the side. It might also be a pointer to why we've won so few of our 'bigger' games this year, yet on the flip side, be a pointer to why we've done so well against everyone else.

Unread 21-03-2009, 11:17 AM
borsuk

part of the reason is the flexibility in our play. we don't really have one system that we always play.

our first choice this season, all fit, has to be fletcher + giggs + carrick, i would say.

Unread 21-03-2009, 12:52 PM
MJ Ramone

This is my concern as well.
In terms of performance levels this season I'd say Carrick + Giggsy is our best central pairing. But there in lies the problem, because 36 year old Ryan can't play every week.

I genuinely don't know what our best midfield is. It's been problem all season*

* I say 'problem', but I suppose we are top of the League, in the FA Cup Semi Finals, Champions League Quarter Finals as well as League Cup & World Cup winners obviously..

Unread 21-03-2009, 12:56 PM
jem

Default it's only a problem

because hargreaves is out.

it's not even a problem we can really solve by buying either. unless you think essien is bored and going for a snip.

imagine essien, carrick and a fit hargreaves in a 3-man midfield. it would almost make up for selling ronaldo.

Unread 21-03-2009, 01:08 PM
borsuk

fletcher has to be the first name on form this season. all of the others - carrick, anderson, scholes, giggs - play better with fletcher alongside them.

or maybe they just look better by comparison

Unread 21-03-2009, 01:35 PM
ONESMARTBADGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
fletcher has to be the first name on form this season. all of the others - carrick, anderson, scholes, giggs - play better with fletcher alongside them.

or maybe they just look better by comparison
Probably. Fletch is a workhorse, or rather a water carrier as Eric once referred to Deschamps (although not in the same class).

Fletch is looking better because he seems to have adapted to the pace of the rest of the team and he has stopped shirking tackles. He can also pass longer than 5 yards to a team mate , which for a long time was a failing of his. He used to give the ball away like it was a grenade.

Carrick is having a good season, Scholes can still turn it on (unfortunately with diminishing frequency) and Giggsey has been immense this season but either of those 2 are hardly fledglings anymore.

Anderson just doesn't do it for me. Good passing game but too often seems to be playing for a different team. If Anderson developed Fletch's awareness he could be great but seeing as he is already making noises about moving on I doubt it.

I would love a fit couger back in the team........He's Fletch with skill and technique

Unread 21-03-2009, 01:46 PM
wonky no

i want to see park in the middle with carrick.

Unread 21-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Coracao

Our best midfield is Fletcher and Carrick.

Fletcher has actually missed every one of our defeats in the league this season. Games which we have completely failed to control the midfield.

Unread 21-03-2009, 02:24 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Our best midfield is Fletcher and Carrick.

Fletcher has actually missed every one of our defeats in the league this season. Games which we have completely failed to control the midfield.
that midfield can be a bit lacking against defensive teams at home as Fletcher doesn't really have a creative side to his game.

Unread 21-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
that midfield can be a bit lacking against defensive teams at home as Fletcher doesn't really have a creative side to his game.
I'm talking big games.

Unread 21-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Fatboy Shrek

It's clearly been our strength and to extent our hinderance this season. How many league games have we actually played well in? Whatever side we put out i'm very rarely worried in a game against anyone outside the top 5 or 6. Yet if/when it comes to the CL final, you wouldn't know who's going to start and that's a worry.

Unread 21-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Neon Tiger

No surprise our best football was when Carrick and Scholes played regularly in the middle in 06/07.

We've not done badly since but once we get that midfield area sorted, this team would be even better.

Unread 21-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Tiger
No surprise our best football was when Carrick and Scholes played regularly in the middle in 06/07.

We've not done badly since but once we get that midfield area sorted, this team would be even better.
Whatever people say about him last season, it was when Ronaldo played his best football as well.

Unread 21-03-2009, 03:35 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
Whatever people say about him last season, it was when Ronaldo played his best football as well.
Agree 100%

06/07 is some of the best football I've seen at United in all my years watching them.
Rooney & Ronaldo forged a great on field relationship & they were both on fire.
Carrick & Scholesy as already mentioned were outstanding.
Ole playing a great part in his swansong season.

High scoring games, 'attack-attack-attack' attitude etc..

Stand out games - 3-2 against Milan at OT, 4-2 comeback away at Everton, Liverpool away O'Shea-stoppage time-Kop, 4-0 at Spurs, 3-1 at Wigan (great atmosphere) 4-1 comeback against Blackburn at OT (the day I KNEW we'd win it) etc..

Unread 21-03-2009, 03:38 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Stand out games - 3-2 against Milan at OT, 4-2 comeback away at Everton, Liverpool away O'Shea-stoppage time-Kop, 4-0 at Spurs, 3-1 at Wigan (great atmosphere) 4-1 comeback against Blackburn at OT (the day I KNEW we'd win it) etc..
erm...7-1

06/07 was some of the best football i've sen from any united side in my lifetime. Brilliant. made even better by the fact it was so unexpected. A glorious season.

Unread 21-03-2009, 03:44 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
erm...7-1

06/07 was some of the best football i've sen from any united side in my lifetime. Brilliant. made even better by the fact it was so unexpected. A glorious season.
Oh yeah, the 7-1! ..forgot about that.

What about Bolton home AND away that season as well
8 terrific goals.
You can say "it was only Bolton" but the football we played in both games was magnificent.

Fulham away, last minute Ronnie winner as well..

Unread 21-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Oh aye?

Unread 21-03-2009, 04:05 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Oh yeah, the 7-1! ..forgot about that.

Quote:
Great moment. Gray & Tyler were both £#%&!ing sick when that went in Giggs' equalizer in that game was really good too.

Unread 21-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Tiberian

Bizarre choice today, Scholes for me has had 1 1/2 good games this season, Fulham at home and Aalberg at home as a sub. Bar those he has looked way off the pace and struggled to impose himself when under any pressure. If he is played he needs to be protected with hard working players to be his legs. Is Giggs, our most creative player, the correct partner in these circumstances when we have 2/3 other option available?

Shite against Liverpool but 3 months of excellent form should not be thrown out in such a reactionary fashion.

Still astonished by the team Fergie picked today, utterly baffling.

Unread 21-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Scholes was superb Pompey away.
Closed Thread