United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-12-2015, 03:43 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Rattled.
Your posting in the last few days certainly suggests you are far more than rattled tbh.

Unread 21-12-2015, 03:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I've landed lots of blame at LvG's door tbh. Just not everything.
Think the idea on here is that if you believe sacking LvG is wrong and that he's been harshly treated, it means you believe he never makes mistakes and think the football is great.

We all know the team needs to do better. The league position is not terrible, given the injury crisis, but not enough goals is galling. I just tend to think with kids in attack and a divided club, there's scope for that improving without hitting the panic button.

Unread 21-12-2015, 03:53 PM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Think the idea on here is that if you believe sacking LvG is wrong and that he's been harshly treated, it means you believe he never makes mistakes and think the football is great.

We all know the team needs to do better. The league position is not terrible, given the injury crisis, but not enough goals is galling. I just tend to think with kids in attack and a divided club, there's scope for that improving without hitting the panic button.
How has he been harshly treated ffs?

Unread 21-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
How has he been harshly treated ffs?
JJ rated his signings as 4/10

Unread 21-12-2015, 03:55 PM
utd99

Quote:

Just looking at the here and now is bad enough for something that should be incrementally improving, but the trend makes for even worse viewing. We can either romanticize about what we would love to see happen if only we gave it time, or we can act decisively to arrest a trend that could see us out of Europe again next season. Van Gaal didn't get his full quota of time, but he certainly did get his chance. A glimmer was all that was needed.

Unread 21-12-2015, 03:56 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:

Yep.

Remember when we used to scoff as other teams ate their way through managerial appointments and always preached caution wrt sacking managers too soon due to a rough patch from our Fergie built ivory tower

Unread 21-12-2015, 03:56 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:

This.. With only a week till the transfer window, I wonder does the club have any players lined up to buy and will this uncertainy hinder deals..

Unread 21-12-2015, 03:58 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Your posting in the last few days certainly suggests you are far more than rattled tbh.
Yeah ok, my posting.

To summarize:

Me: it's clearly not working, and we should act swiftly and decisively to arrest this decline before it gets worse.
You: give him a ten year extension and ignore the football because nothing is his fault and it's irrelevant anyway.

Unread 21-12-2015, 03:59 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Just looking at the here and now is bad enough for something that should be incrementally improving, but the trend makes for even worse viewing. We can either romanticize about what we would love to see happen if only we gave it time, or we can act decisively to arrest a trend that could see us out of Europe again next season. Van Gaal didn't get his full quota of time, but he certainly did get his chance. A glimmer was all that was needed.
Arguably going from 7th to top of the table in 15 months was an okay indication he might have something.

But the club needs to back their man. You can't leave him out there with a bunch of kids trying to score the goals against that backdrop of negativity. Whoever comes in now needs to get more support from people around the club.

Unread 21-12-2015, 03:59 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

I agree.

But you have spent the last 18 months defending every sliver of crtisism that's ever come lvg's way. Dunk was even blaming WOodward for the size of the squad until sers pointed out it was lvg that wanted a small squad.

Not saying you don't make valid points pal - just that they're always always slanted in lvg's favour. Perhaps because there are so many that seek to blame him for everything? If only there was a forum Jedi that could bring balance to the forum.

Unread 21-12-2015, 04:00 PM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:

In no way has LvG been harshly treated. He's been given plenty to spend and no interference from the board. We all know he'd have been sacked from other top clubs in Europe by now too.

Unread 21-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
If only there was a forum Jedi that could bring balance to the forum.
Help us, billpig. You're our only hope.

Unread 21-12-2015, 04:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I agree.

But you have spent the last 18 months defending every sliver of crtisism that's ever come lvg's way. Dunk was even blaming WOodward for the size of the squad until sers pointed out it was lvg that wanted a small squad.

Not saying you don't make valid points pal - just that they're always always slanted in lvg's favour. Perhaps because there are so many that seek to blame him for everything? If only there was a forum Jedi that could bring balance to the forum.
Ironic thing about this is that I was one of the first to criticise him for his transfers last summer. I even had a pop at him for selling welbeck and sending him on his way with the "he doesn't score goals" chat. I thought that was classless. Believe it or not, LvG's stock was so high back then I believe I was ridiculed. Funny how it goes

Unread 21-12-2015, 04:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
I agree.

No, I blamed Woodward for not getting the transfers wanted done. He clearly wanted a CB and another wide man at least and has admitted as such. The problem is that there's that much %@#$&!s spouted that needs defending that the time to add your own criticisms never appears. IIRC both myself and siders were highly critical of the sale of Welbeck and Kagawa, and I was fervently against the 3-5-2 %@#$&!s and not a huge fan of the signing of Schweinsteiger for starters (was shouted down by the LvG out ers on that one ) there's been plenty of shots from both about his subs as well...

Unread 21-12-2015, 04:05 PM
utd99

Quote:
Arguably going from 7th to top of the table in 15 months was an okay indication he might have something.

But the club needs to back their man. You can't leave him out there with a bunch of kids trying to score the goals against that backdrop of negativity. Whoever comes in now needs to get more support from people around the club.
Siders, you are talking about being top in what, October? It means absolutely nothing mate.

dunk

Quote:
Ironic thing about this is that I was one of the first to criticise him for his transfers last summer. I even had a pop at him for selling welbeck and sending him on his way with the "he doesn't score goals" chat. I thought that was classless. Believe it or not, LvG's stock was so high back then I believe I was ridiculed. Funny how it goes
Beat me to it.

And me. I spent the entire transfer deadline day arguing about what a shot decision it was to howls of derision

S/Side.Red

Quote:
It's a free country mate, these people are paid to say what they think and they are saying what they think. If what they were saying wasn't largely true they would have looked ridiculous. How are the club supposed to stop that?
Come on. Even neutrals saw that having every ex player in the world, and in particular Giggsy's pals, slaughtering the boss was strange an divisive. I said this back when LvG's position looked secure. It was undermining the manager, and if the fact that when the fans first started hammering LvG they used Scholes' name doesn't tell you that then you're in denial.

Just think that was especially problematic with a young team. Old heads can get past it, but that tension does martial, Memphis and Jesse no good at all. Again, not the sole reason for the problems and LvG has made mistakes and taken excessive risks, but the club very much let him stand alone.

Unread 21-12-2015, 04:13 PM
utd99

Quote:
Come on. Even neutrals saw that having every ex player in the world, and in particular Giggsy's pals, slaughtering the boss was strange an divisive. I said this back when LvG's position looked secure. It was undermining the manager, and if the fact that when the fans first started hammering LvG they used Scholes' name doesn't tell you that then you're in denial.

Just think that was especially problematic with a young team. Old heads can get past it, but that tension does martial, Memphis and Jesse no good at all. Again, not the sole reason for the problems and LvG has made mistakes and taken excessive risks, but the club very much let him stand alone.
Ok, hold on; I'm not sure I'm seeing the reality in this. These people are hired because they are famous players and they comment on everyone, not just us. This is a job they do and any commentator/pundit can only survive on their credibility with the viewer so they can't just make shit up. They are hired to say what they see, and they are saying what they see, and what they see is no different then the stuff you read on here. It's only a conspiracy if you are looking for one, and I'm not sure how the club could, or even should, be able to control that.

What are we, advocates of censorship now because we don't like the message?

Unread 21-12-2015, 04:16 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Ok, hold on; I'm not sure I'm seeing the reality in this. These people are hired because they are famous players and they comment on everyone, not just us. This is a job they do and any commentator/pundit can only survive on their credibility with the viewer so they can't just make shit up. They are hired to say what they see, and they are saying what they see, and what they see is no different then the stuff you read on here. It's only a conspiracy if you are looking for one, and I'm not sure how the club could, or even should, be able to control that.
I agree in part but gigg's should have gone public in support of lvg and/or told his mates to back off. But he didn't, I suggest, because he agreed with them.

Unread 21-12-2015, 04:20 PM
utd99

Quote:
I agree in part but gigg's should have gone public in support of lvg and/or told his mates to back off. But he didn't, I suggest, because he agreed with them.
Well then it would become a public slanging match which would be even worse. You can't stop people saying what they think mate, people in the public eye are always vulnerable to this type of scrutiny, and like I said, Scholes is not saying anything different than you see on here every day.

And of course you may be right about him agreeing, but what do you do? It's a free country with 24/7 footy coverage. People are getting slagged off all the time.
Closed Thread