United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-12-2015, 05:47 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
The dozens of top players who rave about Van Gaal would contradict that.

It's been more common to fall out with people at board level. Ever club he's been at he's left littered with top players who talk very highly of his methods.
And quite a few who don't.

Unread 20-12-2015, 07:08 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky***
van gaal has another year and a bit left on his contract. How long do you think a coach like mourinho is going to be available? He's gagging to join united, always has been. He spent years sucking up to fergie to try and get his blessing for the job.

On the other hand you have pep who if the various (very good) sources are to believed is going to join his barca mates over at city. Well if he needs convincing to join united over city then he can take his £#%&!ing wooly jumpers and do one.

The phrase strike while the iron is hot has never been more appropriate. One of the two best coaches in the world is available right now, it's a no brainer.

Marlo said on here several times that the players at united weren't happy with lvg and his 'drill sergeant' methods, apparently he's heard it from the utd players directly. Maybe we should have listened before we all dismissed him, because it certainly looks like he was right at this stage.

marlos exclusives have been common knowledge sparky tbh ..reading some stuff lastnite as far back as jan / feb rumours were circulating about the training ground id imgaine he has been told stuff he knocks about in those circles aswell ... But like also mentioned the players will get as much if not more from jose maybe not as pragmatic but intense as £#%&!

Unread 20-12-2015, 07:28 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
And quite a few who don't.
Not really, tbh. Stoichkov called him a scumbag for selling him obviously

There are a few who he fell out with, as happens with every manager. But even most of them acknowledge his quality.

Quote:
“I was irritated [when left out of the side]," said Demichelis. "But I always recognised he was the best football-wise, for the concepts he has and how he imposes them on a team."
Similar to what Ribery said. Didn't like him, respected his coaching.

If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, but people need to stop trying to take away from what he's done previously. I'd say United is actually the first club he's really struggled to impose his methods on. Why that is would be an interesting debate. English football, especially in its current state, is certainly not conducive to his style, either in practice or in terms of convincing those around the club.

It would probably come with time and more changes, but chances are he won't get that because the atmosphere has deteriorated. That's possibly another reason why I wonder if Pep would prefer United. At least some groundwork has been done.

Unread 20-12-2015, 07:35 AM
rafabio

Quote:
Not really, tbh. Stoichkov called him a scumbag for selling him obviously

There are a few who he fell out with, as happens with every manager. But even most of them acknowledge his quality.

If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, but people need to stop trying to take away from what he's done previously. I'd say United is actually the first club he's really struggled to impose his methods on. Why that is would be an interesting debate. English football, especially in its current state, is certainly not conducive to his style, either in practice or in terms of convincing those around the club.

It would probably come with time and more changes, but chances are he won't get that because the atmosphere has deteriorated. That's possibly another reason why I wonder if Pep would prefer United. At least some groundwork has been done.
wait a min. Lets not over-glorify his period at Bayern. He struggled for more months than he was actually successful. And the season he was successful due to the CL run to the final, they were regularly awful. They were awful in both legs against united, saved only by a referee and truly awful defending by united. They were convincingly beaten by an ordinary (but defensively resolute) inter team. Mourinho did a number on him.

He struggled in the first season before getting it together and were ordinary in his final season.

Also its very easy to leave an imprint in a one-team league. Like Pep is finding out. It's rather difficult to do it in PL where there at least 4-5 top teams. Which is another thing Pep will struggle with (like LVG) when he is at city imo.

also still not sure why few are harbouring hopes of Pep. Its clear as day that he is going to city. Even £#%&!ing pellegrini hinting about it

Unread 20-12-2015, 07:57 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
wait a min. Lets not over-glorify his period at Bayern. He struggled for more months than he was actually successful. And the season he was successful due to the CL run to the final, they were regularly awful. They were awful in both legs against united, saved only by a referee and truly awful defending by united. They were convincingly beaten by an ordinary (but defensively resolute) inter team. Mourinho did a number on him.

He struggled in the first season before getting it together and were ordinary in his final season.

Also its very easy to leave an imprint in a one-team league. Like Pep is finding out. It's rather difficult to do it in PL where there at least 4-5 top teams. Which is another thing Pep will struggle with (like LVG) when he is at city imo.

also still not sure why few are harbouring hopes of Pep. Its clear as day that he is going to city. Even £#%&!ing pellegrini hinting about it

https://twitter.com/kpsundayworld/st...60608383885313
This is such a piss weak argument, pal.

Bayern were not champions when Van Gaal arrived. They were not champions the season after he left. Those other titles were won by Wolfsburg and Dortmund. While Stuttgart had also won it two years earlier. How was that a one-team league?

Amazing that so many were delighted with Van Gaal's appointment now that it emerges they didn't rate him anyway.

Unread 20-12-2015, 08:01 AM
elhombre

i don't want mourinho, after thinking about it.

if we get him, as someone else has said, it's a pure panic decision and one that shows there is no longer term plan.

we won't win anything this season. let's stick with LvG, see where we end up and if things are still in decline by Feb' look at the plan for getting a new manager by the end of the summer.

Unread 20-12-2015, 08:26 AM
rafabio

Quote:
This is such a piss weak argument, pal.

Bayern were not champions when Van Gaal arrived. They were not champions the season after he left. Those other titles were won by Wolfsburg and Dortmund. While Stuttgart had also won it two years earlier. How was that a one-team league?

Amazing that so many were delighted with Van Gaal's appointment now that it emerges they didn't rate him anyway.
of course its a one team league. Whoever goes in next after Pep will again win the league. They were financially growing. Bayern decimated dortmund, so that threat was gone. Wolfsburg, stuttgart they are always teams that come and go. What I meant is that at worse Bayern will finish 3rd or 4th even in a nightmare season. They will never finish outside CL places.

Lets not overplay what pep has done at Bayern. They play very good football but it was expected that they will win the league. The dismal CL failures are the reason his tenure will be treated as a failure. Bayern hired him to win more CL titles not bundesliga titles. They are appointing Ancelotti next. So they are clearly not worried about retaining the "structure" that Pep has built.

Unread 20-12-2015, 10:47 AM
puressence

Wink

3 years is standard for European managers bar Arsene in most other countries they operate in. Pep is no different

Unread 20-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:

Even for someone who does still rate him, he has been the opposite of what I expected in some of his decisions.

When he arrived I thought players that were skilful, bold & dynamic would come to the fore & be given at least a chance to prove their worth.

However the likes of Nani were sold without a second glance (despite him looking like the only player who could have rescued the first game against Swansea).

Instead it is the likes of Fellaini, Mata & Valencia that have been championed & persistently given chances to prove themselves despite their abject failures on the pitch.

Moyes saddled us with 3 losers & LVG's continued favouring of them as opposed to his treatment of players who he did not even give a chance feels like a betrayal.

Unread 20-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Cream

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
No.

Depends on age and success. United's literally the only club that could have a manager for that long, because we're the only giant club who keep any manager who's successful for as long as possible, and the club is big and rich enough that the manager likely wouldn't want to move onto another club attracted by his success.

If mourinho was successful at united, he'd most likely be happy to stay 10 years and united would be happy to keep him for as long as he keeps the money rolling in.

Well, he did drop terry and made it known he was over the hill.

The club would have to practically give Rooney away, and give him a huge payoff to get rid, due to that ridiculous contract. And given his marketing worth to woodward, it's never going to happen until Woodward gets his neymar type signing to take rooney's commercial place.

Doesn't his contract also have a tie in with united's commercial department where they're obliged to sell his brand? Dropping him doesn't really meet that commercial obligation.

In which case, mourinho's first task should be to push Giggs out of the door. Unless he wants to be next on the hit list the second he does something displeasing to the overseer of the united way.

However, the flaw in your post is that there are no ITKs on twitter. Certainly not anyone giving away truthful gossip like that for free. It is, however, something that's easy to make up as a believable bit of gossip, especially if they're members of a few private forums having stupid polls and saying there's some agenda driven people on the board in a dilemma over mourinho.
Another reasoned response from biscuit bonce.

Unread 20-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Baron

Van Gaal is yesterday's man, task master nutcase with his book of coaching that has been poured over by everyone else. I'm not sure he's innovating anymore (if anything he's gone backward with his famed attacking philosophy given the utter, utter tripe we've been served up for 18 months).

Siders demands Van Gaal is respected for his past contributions to the game & in the same breath slaughters Giggs. Van Gaal has done nothing for Utd though & that's the crux of the argument.

Slim Charles knew.

Not sure I think Mourinho is the answer but I'd take 18 months of him over the 18 months of Van Gaal we've had to endure.

Unread 20-12-2015, 01:21 PM
jem

Quote:

I'm the opposite. I like van gaal. I just £#%&!ing hate his team sheets and the philosophy.

Unread 20-12-2015, 01:24 PM
believe

Just watching Barca now and it wasn't even a contest.

Unread 20-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
That's a good point.

Who are they playing?

Unread 20-12-2015, 01:29 PM
King Eric

My son has just told me Mourhino is odds on to be our next manager and that the sacking of the next permanent Chelsea manager is more likely to happen before 12 other premiership managers.

Unread 20-12-2015, 01:31 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Erm, nice one....

Unread 20-12-2015, 02:14 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
i like the way you couch this in language i understand.

still think it sets a bad precedent if we ditch him now, though.

and i think we'll be in the same position in 3yrs time when he gets itchy feet and wants to £#%&! off.
I think it's worse to persevere with something that's not working simply because you want to preserve the image of a club that does things differently. Much as the club would like to set itself apart from it's contemporaries, the only reason we had a manager for 26 years was because the situation was unique. That died with his retirement.

We are more patient and less transient than the others, but it has to be realistic. Van Gaal has £#%&!ed himself because it really didn't need to be this bad. We can accept transition; just not a badly managed one. The football is shit, the results are shit, we still don't have a settled first team and he can't get players to perform at their peak. What more is there really?

If Van Gaal were Van Gaal's boss, he would be sacking him as we speak.

Unread 20-12-2015, 02:17 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
That's a good point.

Who are they playing?
CAR, no idea who CAR are but hey were shite and Barca put them to the sword.

Unread 20-12-2015, 02:22 PM
utd99

Quote:
CAR, no idea who CAR are but hey were shite and Barca put them to the sword.
So you watched a whole game and had no idea who one of the teams were.

Unread 20-12-2015, 02:38 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
So you watched a whole game and had no idea who one of the teams were.
"Watched" in the loose sense of the word

Closed Thread