United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Allegedly... He always said it was his dream to play in Spain...
Paddy Crerand was talking about it today in an interview, he said he was a Benfica supporter as a kid. It's like the myth about Roy Keane being a Celtic supporter all his life, yet in his book the only team he mentions that he supported as a kid was Spurs because his favourite player was Hoddle.

Unread 12-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Aloe Blacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I think only Ronnie really wanted to go there - we didn't miss any of the others...

Ronnie supported them as a kid... if some midfield prodigy was a United fan and dreamed of coming to us (forget Essien in this) and wanted to then you'd be more than happy.
Simples.

Unread 12-06-2009, 02:51 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Paddy Crerand was talking about it today in an interview, he said he was a Benfica supporter as a kid.
True, but it isn't as simple as that. He didn't support them as a kid, he supported Benfica. But like anyone else from that region, he knew of Madrid as the biggest (in their opinion) and (perhaps more importantly) most glamorous club in the world. So by saying he always wanted to go there, he isn't claiming he always supported them (and indeed, I recall an interview last summer which made it clear he didn't follow them closely enough to know specifically when they won league and European titles, etc). He's saying that he always saw them as the ultimate destination for a player, and for someone from the Iberian peninsula, you can't really begrudge that.

Unread 12-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Albert Tatlock

One question.

Where the £#%&! are Madrid getting all this money from ?

Someone must be investing and be pretty sure of a good return....

Unread 12-06-2009, 08:46 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
One question.

heard it said yesterday that it was "the people of Madrid".....presumably the city authorities

something to do with promoting the city on a world stage......a successful team gives the city a higher profile.......and if Madrid makes money it apparently gives it to "the city" and when they need it, it goes the other way

and bank loans

Unread 12-06-2009, 08:48 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
One question.

Madrid are the closest thing to a government run and subsidised football club.

They are £#%&!ing parasites.The £#%&!ing @#%&!s.

Unread 12-06-2009, 09:00 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
Beckham
Ruud
Heinze
Ronaldo

All engineered their own moves away to those lot. What the £#%&! is it?

All past their best (I hope )

Unread 12-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
True, but it isn't as simple as that. He didn't support them as a kid, he supported Benfica. But like anyone else from that region, he knew of Madrid as the biggest (in their opinion) and (perhaps more importantly) most glamorous club in the world. So by saying he always wanted to go there, he isn't claiming he always supported them (and indeed, I recall an interview last summer which made it clear he didn't follow them closely enough to know specifically when they won league and European titles, etc). He's saying that he always saw them as the ultimate destination for a player, and for someone from the Iberian peninsula, you can't really begrudge that.
is correct.

Unread 12-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Not so sure about this. Madrid certainly didn't have the cache they do today back in the 1980s, when they won five league titles on the bounce, or even through the 1990s when they were winning European Cups galore (well, two). They were one of the top clubs, to be sure, but I don't recall them being seen as a breed apart from everyone else etc. I think a large part of the mystique and status they possess today has developed only since Florentino Perez first took charge and started his whole galactico project.

Unread 12-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Zorg

Quote:
, and for someone from the Iberian peninsula, you can't really begrudge that.
[pedant] He's not, he's from the island of Madeira [/pedant]

Unread 12-06-2009, 10:50 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
[pedant] He's not, he's from the island of Madeira [/pedant]

"im from England"

"ah...i met someone from England last year...a guy called Bob....do you know him ?"

Unread 12-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
One question.

Isn't Perez and his people worth multi-billions though?

don't suppose they fancy letting Barcelona have a free run at walking out of Madrid with the CL next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Not so sure about this. Madrid certainly didn't have the cache they do today back in the 1980s, when they won five league titles on the bounce, or even through the 1990s when they were winning European Cups galore (well, two). They were one of the top clubs, to be sure, but I don't recall them being seen as a breed apart from everyone else etc. I think a large part of the mystique and status they possess today has developed only since Florentino Perez first took charge and started his whole galactico project.
Back in 1998 Real, United and Bayern were all 'sleeping giants'. I remember a right old hoohah about Real making it to the CL final. Funny how Ajax, Juve and then those three teams all kind of awoke inside a decade after doing nowt much for a decade or three.

Unread 12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless

"im from England"

"ah...i met someone from England last year...a guy called Bob....do you know him ?"
Nice girl actually

Unread 12-06-2009, 11:18 AM
dunk

Feeder Club

Madrid is where we pension has-Beens off to. (Ronaldo excepted)

Unread 12-06-2009, 11:20 AM
My Name is Keith

Not sure what all the fuss is about to be honest.

This Ronaldo to Real %@#$&!s, it's just the papers stirring shit up.

Again.

Time after time after time.

Thankfully, I alone, am able to discern what's real and what's not real when it comes to the media and I'll keep you all informed.

Unread 12-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Not sure what all the fuss is about to be honest.

This Ronaldo to Real %@#$&!s, it's just the papers stirring shit up.

Again.

Time after time after time.

Thankfully, I alone, am able to discern what's real and what's not real when it comes to the media and I'll keep you all informed.
drip, drip, drip.

Unread 12-06-2009, 11:25 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
drip, drip, drip.

Unread 12-06-2009, 11:30 AM
fergieslovechild

He wants to be closer to his mum.......bless and he wants to be in a climate where the paps can take plenty of photos of him with his shirt off.

£80m......they deserve each other!

£#%&! em both!

Unread 12-06-2009, 11:34 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

"I would not sell that mob a Virus"

I think he has, all this stardum has literally gone to his head ala Beckham

Unread 12-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Tumescent Throb

blanket coverage of a non-story last summer (while England watched the euros on tele)

bog standard coverage in passing this summer - until a deal was actually announced

glad to be of service
Closed Thread