United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-06-2009, 11:51 AM
MJ Ramone

Cool The 'Kung-Fu' Kick??

What's everyone's memories of this?
I guess I'd have been 19 when it happened. I remember I'd had a band practise for a covers band I was playing in at the time & I got in & put the radio on to find out how we'd got on (amazing how much things have changed since thanks to mobiles, internet, SkySports News etc..)
Seem to recall the first thing I heard was Gary Linekar on his high horse saying how disgraceful it was etc..
I hadn't got a clue what he was on about.
I think there was a MOTD on later that evening & Des Lynham introduced the show as if someone had died...more hysterical pontificating followed.

To be fair, it was an amazing incident.
Imagine if it happened now!? ...He'd get a lifetime ban.
Seriously, TalkSport & SSNews would litterally explode.

I still love this Pic. The faces in the crowd are priceless

Unread 06-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Pop

Thumbs up

That and the Keane/Vieira tunnel bust up are two of the moments Ive rarely been as proud to be a Utd supporter

Rooney needs to step up soon and chin John Terry or some other @#%&!.

Unread 06-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Sam the Sanitary Man

I was there in the United end & I turned around to my mate & said "£#%&!, he will never play again!" It was truly mind blowing at the time. On the way home I remember everyone on the coach saying £#%&! it, we will back Eric

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:05 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Sanitary Man
I was there in the United end & I turned around to my mate & said "£#%&!, he will never play again!" It was truly mind blowing at the time. On the way home I remember everyone on the coach saying £#%&! it, we will back Eric
There certainly was that fear that he wouldn't play again.
As I said before, it was pre- Internet, TalkSport, SkySports News etc.. so there was hardly any 'hysterical forum' to make the situation worse.
It was all about chatting about it with your mates, watching the News & seeing what the back (& front) pages were saying every morning.

I honestly think if it happened now he would get a lifetime ban because people are far more reactionary & PC nowadays.

Cantona was a 'Story' during his entire United career Nearly everything he did was unforgettable.
I always remember when he got sent off against Swindon (rightly so) on the Saturday & then again at Highbury on the Tues/Weds (very harshly)
Said to my Dad when he got in that night "Everyones going mad cause Eric's been sent off!" ...my Dad: "Yeah, I know. It's been going on since Saturday" ..me: "No, I mean he's been sent off AGAIN tonight!"

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Switching Off

Must have been 14 and it was on the radio in the kitchen, I was in the living room watching teletext and my dad ran in shouting that Cantona's kicked a fan in the face All crowded round the radio and then stayed up to watch it on the news

Similar story when Beckham scored hat half way line goal actually, me Dad running in to say Beckham's scored a screamer, goal of the season already he said. Of course Trevor Sinclair went on to score possily the greatest overhead volley of all time later in the season.

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:06 PM
dunk

I was properly £#%&!ed off with him tbh. Even though he was right in what he did, it came just a few days after the win over Blackburn when he scored that stunning header, the impetus in the title race was with us and he handed it back in a moment of madness, that and the effect him being missing would have, I was vexed.

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:09 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I was properly £#%&!ed off with him tbh. Even though he was right in what he did, it came just a few days after the win over Blackburn when he scored that stunning header, the impetus in the title race was with us and he handed it back in a moment of madness, that and the effect him being missing would have, I was vexed.
One of my favourite Eric goals.

Along with the Liverpool Cup Final goal & a chip at Bramall Lane.

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

I still love this Pic. The faces in the crowd are priceless

Jizza Jazza in the top left hand corner.

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:16 PM
sullers

Quote:

Wasn't that kid in a United top? (left and right)

Always remember him, wonder where he is now? Probably posts on here

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Switching Off

Top right looks like dibble.

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:22 PM
dunk

Quote:
One of my favourite Eric goals.

Along with the Liverpool Cup Final goal & a chip at Bramall Lane.
I was at the Blackburn game, I £#%&!ing enjoyed that goal. Giggs nicking the ball off the full back and putting a stunning ball over and Eric somehow heading the ball into the near top corner after it had passed him, just brilliant. There are few goals at OT I have celebrated as much.

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Gruber

guy in the flat cap is this smiley

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:23 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullers
Wasn't that kid in a United top? (left and right)

Always remember him, wonder where he is now? Probably posts on here
I like the guy behind Eric's left arm with his hand over his mouth...giving it the a very 'camp' "Oooh, I say" reaction :bi:

Unread 06-06-2009, 12:24 PM
sullers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber
guy in the flat cap is this smiley

Unread 06-06-2009, 01:20 PM
koppas

I was at that game. Was only my third away game after doing the previous two Ipswich aways (bgr). Was with my mum and dad and @#%&! of a brother. Didn't see it as was watching the "action" on the pitch. Only looked over when I saw the Judas @#%&! run over and drag him away. Word soon got round then had 5live on in the car on the way home. Outage!

Unread 06-06-2009, 01:35 PM
JakeB

I was 5 rows back from the kick, sadly just out of that picture...10 years old at the time, in a united hat and shirt

Unread 06-06-2009, 02:07 PM
red @rmy

Unread 06-06-2009, 02:34 PM
wonky no

i just remember seeing it on the news and feeling slightly let down by his landing after the kick. he seemed to lose his balance slightly. A man of his style looks odd unbalanced.

Unread 06-06-2009, 02:42 PM
otbarney

Did Simmons ever get the pasting he was promised?

Unread 06-06-2009, 02:43 PM
believe

I just remember how surreal it all was. Like someone said the extent of my knowledge of what happened was listening to piccadilly radio and not really believing it was "that" bad. I was delivering milk the following morning and can remember waiting for the papers to be delivered to the shop. I remember how shocked I was at the pictures that dominated most pages of every paper. Didn't Simmons have to go into hiding after that?
Closed Thread