United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: do you reckon fergie should go at the end of the season and, if so, who do you want to replace him?
no, he should stay 33 28.95%
pep guardiola 15 13.16%
jose mourinho 49 42.98%
jurgen klopp 0 0%
joachim loew 0 0%
david moyes 3 2.63%
roberto martinez 0 0%
antonio conte 0 0%
rafa benitez 12 10.53%
somebody else (who?) 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
If he carries on starting Giggs and Scholes, yes.

Still hopeful he grows a pair though and plays Anderson and Cleverley regularly.
Yeah, we definitely need Anderson starting every game.

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:04 PM
rafabio

villas boas would be a good choice too.

Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandhappy
Ole would be my first choice. As long as he is given a few years no Knee jerk sackings if results don't work out. Could take him a few years to adjust the team to his own ideas but it will work out and could lead to another successful dynasty.
love ole as a player, but what has he actually done in management to walk straight into the united job?

if it's bases on being ex-united and doing well in a pub league, then walter smith is surely in with a shout?

Blagger

Alan's had an Alan, here. Shit name that, too: Alan.

rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Yeah, we definitely need Anderson starting every game.
anderson >>>>>> 2012 Giggs

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
anderson >>>>>> 2012 Giggs
Who isnt?

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:09 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Ole would be my first choice. As long as he is given a few years no Knee jerk sackings if results don't work out. Could take him a few years to adjust the team to his own ideas but it will work out and could lead to another successful dynasty.
Or........he could be McGuinness to SAF's Busby

Mourinho or, at a pinch, Pep I'm afraid. Or if we really are resigned to decline for the forseeable, Moyes could manage it better than most.

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Zorg

I stood just behind Pep Guardiola in the queue for US immigration last week, no wum. He was analysing footage of Barca on an i-pad with who I can only assume was his brother as they looked exactly alike. The fuss made the four hour wait just fly by.

Asked him 'how about Manchester next year' and he just smiled and shrugged, as if to say 'I'm looking at houses in Alderley Edge'.

Or maybe he's taking over at Cosmos.

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Jerry the Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I stood just behind Pep Guardiola in the queue for US immigration last week, no wum. He was analysing footage of Barca on an i-pad with who I can only assume was his brother as they looked exactly alike. The fuss made the four hour wait just fly by.

Asked him 'how about Manchester next year' and he just smiled and shrugged, as if to say 'I'm looking at houses in Alderley Edge'.

Or maybe he's taking over at Cosmos.

Can I smell your fingers?

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:29 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
I've just found his approach over the last 3 - 4 season to be baffling. Obvious short comings and a determination not to address them. Bizarre.

Everything about the club feels stale. He's been incredible but we need some fresh ideas. Be nice if he could get a very very strong minded number 2 who was prepared to challenge some of his baffling decisions but that's not going to happen.

He's 71 or whatever it is, I'm not sure he is capable anymore of refining his approach. Well if he is, there's no evidence that he can.

Frustrating because we're one or two players short of having an immense team.
I would be happy with this tbf.

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Agent Dale Cooper

No, I want him to stay - but a strong number two must be brought in or our decline will continue apace.

It would also be nice to see us buy a World Class midfielder since, y'know, every successful team in the world has at least one of them.

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Dale Cooper
It would also be nice to see us buy a World Class midfielder

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:36 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Yeah i'm sure 'Wilf' Gunnar Solksjaer has the credentials to take over from the greatest manager of all time.

No. 2 would be perfect for him imo. (If he'd take it)

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
At first I was like and then I did a search for my name

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Sparky***

Obviously Mourinho, it has to be. Nobody else aside from Guardiola is even remotely qualified and there are question marks regarding whether pep could ever do it at another club in normal circumstances.

Mourinho has won championships in the 3 major european leagues, he's a phenomenal motivator and tactician, completely arrogant with the balls to back it up, it's a no brainer.

Unread 30-09-2012, 02:50 PM
croberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Obviously Mourinho, it has to be. Nobody else aside from Guardiola is even remotely qualified and there are question marks regarding whether pep could ever do it at another club in normal circumstances.

Mourinho has won championships in the 3 major european leagues, he's a phenomenal motivator and tactician, completely arrogant with the balls to back it up, it's a no brainer.
This

Unread 30-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Dr Gonzo

Frogson appears to be doing his best to deceive us into thinking that he's past his sell-by date. And yet we missed out on the League last season by mf goal difference

I don't care for Maureen's style of play, although it does get results.

Anyone else will be picking up a poisoned chalice, especially if Sir Chip hangs around in a directorial role like a vengeful ghost.

I remember the barren years in the 70s and 80s when all we could hope for was a decent cup run and a win against the Scousers ; we have truly been spoilt - there could be some very dark days ahead...

Most political careers end in failure, and it seems that there are some parallels in the football management business.

Unread 30-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Tumescent Throb

Ferguson was slaughtered when he started by the type of people who are slaughtering him again now - the comment about how people on here could pick a better starting line-up than him is the funniest, as if it's just about sticking XI names on a list ffs

anyway, the point is that when he finally challenged for the league he did it with wingers, 3 of the @#%&!s - 3 of the finest wide players ever assembled in the same side. decisions didn't always work, managerial issues of discipline, of stick and carrot, of possibly over-thinking tactics, of rotation and of personality clashes threatened to #@&%!-block the team's destiny. and then in 1993 he made it, playing in the archetypal almost mythical style of Manchester United.

fast forward through the next 20 years and there have been various stages where people have questioned his team selections, his tactics, his transfer policy, his personal dealings with individuals, his motivation and so on...

this is happening again now, except this time people see his age and use it as a shortcut to thinking. the truth is that what we see now is exactly what we've seen at various stages before.

whether United need to change their style more long-term in order to compete with teams using various takes on 4-5-1 is the biggest question and one that seems obvious - yes they do. and yet anybody watching the second half yesterday against one of the best sides in the league would be forced to think again, because that was magnificent and typically United, right down to the frustration of it all. that we didn't nick a late goal can't be used as evidence of demise either, since we've already proved that's still a part of our make-up this season as well...

in short, Ferguson is still a great manager and what he's battling with now and the style he's battling it with is no different really to how he's handled similar transitions throughout his time at the club. just because he's 70 and surely set for retirement any time soon that doesn't mean he's lost it. it just means, as I said, that that can and will be used as a shortcut to thinking by his critics - both the bitter ones and the frustrated ones

Unread 30-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
blah blah blah blah %@#$&!s %@#$&!s, why use one paragraph when i can drone on for 6, devil's advocate, whatever everyone says i'll say the opposite because i'm throb the mong
[SIZE="6"]How did Dembele do, you droning @#%&!?

Unread 30-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Ferguson was slaughtered when he started by the type of people who are slaughtering him again now - the comment about how people on here could pick a better starting line-up than him is the funniest, as if it's just about sticking XI names on a list ffs

anyway, the point is that when he finally challenged for the league he did it with wingers, 3 of the @#%&!s - 3 of the finest wide players ever assembled in the same side. decisions didn't always work, managerial issues of discipline, of stick and carrot, of possibly over-thinking tactics, of rotation and of personality clashes threatened to #@&%!-block the team's destiny. and then in 1993 he made it, playing in the archetypal almost mythical style of Manchester United.

fast forward through the next 20 years and there have been various stages where people have questioned his team selections, his tactics, his transfer policy, his personal dealings with individuals, his motivation and so on...

this is happening again now, except this time people see his age and use it as a shortcut to thinking. the truth is that what we see now is exactly what we've seen at various stages before.

whether United need to change their style more long-term in order to compete with teams using various takes on 4-5-1 is the biggest question and one that seems obvious - yes they do. and yet anybody watching the second half yesterday against one of the best sides in the league would be forced to think again, because that was magnificent and typically United, right down to the frustration of it all. that we didn't nick a late goal can't be used as evidence of demise either, since we've already proved that's still a part of our make-up this season as well...

in short, Ferguson is still a great manager and what he's battling with now and the style he's battling it with is no different really to how he's handled similar transitions throughout his time at the club. just because he's 70 and surely set for retirement any time soon that doesn't mean he's lost it. it just means, as I said, that that can and will be used as a shortcut to thinking by his critics - both the bitter ones and the frustrated ones
that's a really long way to say: he's done it before and his age is irrelevant.

I don't remember him ignoring, over a long term, such a vital question mark about the team before.

SAFs excuse for yesterday was a short injury time, his excuse for last season at city when we just turned up to get beat was that we didn't 'get enough crosses in'.

He needs to bring in someone young, fresh and talented as his no.2. Like he did with mcclaren and queiroz. Otherwise and even remainingly so, we'll need scholes and giggs to get themselves sacked before anything happens.
Closed Thread