United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
The Czechs looked £#%&!ing awful in their first game, as bad as Ireland. They've improved a lot since, though.
They were shite at the back but actually pretty good going forward, caused Russia lots of problems. A couple of us sages said at the time they looked a good bet to qualify because Greece and Poland were so poor.

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:34 PM
tatty

Mick Mcarthy tickles me.

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:38 PM
red in cumbria

Why the £#%&! do they tie-break on head-to-heads in finals, anyway?? Completely different kettle of fish from qualifiers

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Tronics

Greece have to be the most jammiest team in the history of the world

Bloody hell lol - wanted Poland to go through

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:39 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Mick Mcarthy tickles me.
you should be so lucky

Bloody hell that wasn't expected tonight

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Ethers

How the £#%&! Russia didnt score tonight I'll never know.

Delighted they've gone out though, shit nation and thought theyd already qualified after the first game.

Gutted for Karagounis though, surely that yellow should be rescinded??

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Why the £#%&! do they tie-break on head-to-heads in finals, anyway?? Completely different kettle of fish from qualifiers
Because of past instances with already eliminated teams rolling over and dying by ridiculous scores (i.e. Peru 0-6 Argentina in 1978), leading to conspiracy theories etc.

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:46 PM
dragflick

@#%&!s. Not only the 50 quid single on the match but they were part of my group winners bet that could have brought in 190. Great work. :shakehead:

Off to waste some more money in the pissing down rain of manchester. Best not bump into any Rushkis. Although they'd probably be big @#%&!s, but they'd get a dirty look- NQAT.

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:47 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Because of past instances with already eliminated teams rolling over and dying by ridiculous scores (i.e. Peru 0-6 Argentina in 1978), leading to conspiracy theories etc.
But the worst of that (eg Germany-Austria 1982) is shurely done away with by playing both final group games at once?

(and I thought it was only brought in relatively recently anyway)

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Jack Duckworth

i didn't think it was possible for russians to look more miserable.

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Grimson

Quote:
But the worst of that (eg Germany-Austria 1982) is shurely done away with by playing both final group games at once?

(and I thought it was only brought in relatively recently anyway)
Dunno. You asked, I answered. That's the answer - rightly or wrongly, FIFA doesn't want the appearance of impropriety that lopsided scores can bring. Taking goal difference out the equation does that.

Unread 16-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Grimson

Only just saw the Greek free kick that led to Dzagoev being booked. Pet peeve of mine - the Greek player who took the free kick ran it down after it hit the crossbar and was the first to touch it, then clattered by Dzagoev. Should have been a booking to Dzagoev, yes, but free kick to Russia. Refs ALWAYS miss this.

Unread 16-06-2012, 10:02 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Dunno. You asked, I answered. That's the answer - rightly or wrongly, FIFA doesn't want the appearance of impropriety that lopsided scores can bring. Taking goal difference out the equation does that.
Except that it still counts when head-to-heads are the same, doesn't it??

Unread 16-06-2012, 10:04 PM
teflon_terry

Greece to get knocked out of Europe by Germany twice etc

Unread 16-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Except that it still counts when head-to-heads are the same, doesn't it??
This is FIFA we're talking about

Unread 16-06-2012, 10:13 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
Greece have to be the most jammiest team in the history of the world
they were unlucky not to win 3-0.

Unread 16-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Zorg

No real fan of Greece but Russians are a bunch of racist £#%&!wits. Bye.

Unread 16-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Father Christmas

How can Holland qualify? Even if they beat Portugal they will have the same points as Denmark but lost to the Danes. Baffling...

Unread 16-06-2012, 10:42 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Christmas
How can Holland qualify? Even if they beat Portugal they will have the same points as Denmark but lost to the Danes. Baffling...
Must admit I'm finding that pretty puzzling myself

Unread 16-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Ashley's Grime

Quote:
Stupid £#%&!ing rule. Greece qualify with a zero goal difference and Russia go out with a plus two GD.
Closed Thread