United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloe Blacc
Lets be honest, this signing is just to confirm our dominance over Liverpool by signing their old hero and making him win the premier ship before Gerrard.

Something ironic about Owen possibly playing a part in us winning number 19 and all the scousers who are currently calling him past it might see those comments come back to bite their arse. The fact is, even an injury prone Owen has more goalthreat than Tevez and doesn't cost £35m.
people are talking like next season is already in the bag, chelsea will be a lot stronger and liverpool will go close. im not confident at all tbh.

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Aloe Blacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Owen is a one-trick pony, and the only place he'll be is hanging on the shoulder of the opposition centre back.
Wow, so we might actually have a striker in the box sometimes?

We dont have a player like him, im more and more coming round to this after calming down a bit and hearing that he has more than halved his wages. I still think another forward will come in as well.

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
can i also point out that i would have preferred signing someone like villa rather than owen, but in the absence of any other realistic targets, he will do as a short-term fix.
Do you not find it odd that, with supposedly £100m or so to spend and being one of the biggest clubs in the world, we have to rely on a short-term fix, especially one who is past it, injured most of the time and who the vast majority of the fanbase despise.

It's a £#%&!ing shit signing in just about every aspect possible and makes me think twice about how well Fergie did plan for Ronaldo's departure.

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Aloe Blacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
people are talking like next season is already in the bag, chelsea will be a lot stronger and liverpool will go close. im not confident at all tbh.
TBH, ive only seen people being doomlord @#%&!s over next season Ginners, Chelsea will probably favourites but we can definitely do it. With Liverpool you get the feeling that last season was their moment and they still couldnt do it. Their best area of the team is definitely getting weakened with Alonso going and possibly Mascherano.

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
marlo

Quote:
we wont win the league next season.

id take a 50 bet from anyone.

RedMenace

I think for some reason Fergie hadn't planned on not getting Benzema and/or Ribery. It left him stuck for alternatives.

dunk

Quote:
pat yourself on the back
I'm not sure I want to

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Ginners

Quote:
TBH, ive only seen people being doomlord @#%&!s over next season Ginners, Chelsea will probably favourites but we can definitely do it. With Liverpool you get the feeling that last season was their moment and they still couldnt do it. Their best area of the team is definitely getting weakened with Alonso going and possibly Mascherano.
benitez will strengthen them though, if they get in another striker, and a decent midfielder to replace mascherano theyll be there or there abouts. chelsea will be our biggest rivals though, just hope they dont get pato

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:34 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Lets be honest, this signing is just to confirm our dominance over Liverpool by signing their old hero and making him win the premier ship before Gerrard.

Something ironic about Owen possibly playing a part in us winning number 19 and all the scousers who are currently calling him past it might see those comments come back to bite their arse. The fact is, even an injury prone Owen has more goalthreat than Tevez and doesn't cost £35m.
Never did Tevez, would of cost us £25mil but he aint. People forget the first season with Carlos (im not defending his antics over the last number of months) he was oustanding for us, played with a real drive and wanted to sign, we achieved our greatest season under Fergie and he was apart of that.

2nd season was a disapointment, but complications with the deal really frustrated him and we went out and spent the money on a player we believed was worth that. If we signed Carlos instead i can imagine a dif attitude and another succesful season with more to come. If we would of kept that squad together, happy and motivated we would of dominated Europe for years.

We never and now were signing Michael Owen, life moves on but i feel it's like 99 all over again, we never moved onto the next level after 99 and we aint again. Fergie always gets it right and here's hoping he does again, but i'm convinced there are better players, at a better age that are available than Michael Owen

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Aloe Blacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's a £#%&!ing shit signing in just about every aspect possible and makes me think twice about how well Fergie did plan for Ronaldo's departure.
Wait till mid to late July before saying that.

Owen is a free transfer and needs his future sorted straight away, just give him the medical now and see what happens was the order from Sir Alex I bet.

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
If Benzema signed, then Benzema and Berbatov and Rooney would all be playing a large number of games.

Thus, Rooney would find himself out left a hell of a lot more than he would with the signing of Owen, who will start far fewer games and is bought as a squad player, not a member of the first 11.

It is nonesensical to state that Rooney will play more games on the left with Owen signing, than he would with Benzema. In fact, it is complete and utter shite.
We'll see. I'll bump this after a few months so you can apologise.

Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Do you not find it odd that, with supposedly £100m or so to spend and being one of the biggest clubs in the world, we have to rely on a short-term fix, especially one who is past it, injured most of the time and who the vast majority of the fanbase despise.

I'll wait until September to jump on that bandwagon, but it's certainly got the whiff of it at the moment.

Ronnie was clearly lined up, nailed on, in the bag for Madrid. Knowing this, surely Benzema should have been signed in the background as it were. No excuses.

Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
can i also point out that i would have preferred signing someone like villa rather than owen, but in the absence of any other realistic targets, he will do as a short-term fix.

Exactly the same here mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
ok forum experts sugarcoat this...

will we spend the 80m we have at our dispense or can you see us rolling the money over until the 'right player becomes available'in january(when we always say the targets are cup tied) or the summer (when we wont sign anyone as prices are inflated based on the world cup)

justify the dissapearance of our 80m,come on lads...

We can't control how much money we spend. Maybe we have got money to spend, maybe we haven't. Fergie obvioulsy wanted Benzema and was willing to spend big money on him but it wasn't to be.

He's not going to throw money about willy nilly on someone he didn't want because we have just received a lot of money.

Nobody is jumping through hoops at the prospects of signing Owen but there really isn't any other realistic options about at the moment.

If there are, i'd love you to name them.

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick

We can't control how much money we spend. Maybe we have got money to spend, maybe we haven't. Fergie obvioulsy wanted Benzema and was willing to spend big money on him but it wasn't to be.

He's not going to throw money about willy nilly on someone he didn't want because we have just received a lot of money.

Nobody is jumping through hoops at the prospects of signing Owen but there really isn't any other realistic options about at the moment.

Well said Carrick.

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
The scouse @#%&!s seem to be getting a bit upset with the whole saga

Linkingtons http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/...pic=243869.920
i wondered when these posts would be appearing? is that place in a similar meltdown? seems no one likes him now

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Brenner

Quote:

We know Arsenal won't win the league next season ffs

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:39 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:

A number of reports say Lyon/United agreed a fee but after Villa's move to Madrid was off they jumped and offered more to both the player and Lyon. Benzema has always said he'll do best for Lyon which Madrid in this situation was.

If we would of matched Madrid money wise maybe he might of come but really he had no option but to join Madrid due to it being the best deal for Lyon.

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:39 PM
wiganste

Quote:

Would it be a disaster if we didn't win the league? To a glory hunter, yes. To normal fans, not really.

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
We'll see. I'll bump this after a few months so you can apologise.
Really. I look forward to it.

Unread 03-07-2009, 12:40 PM
marlo

Quote:

if fergie cant find and adequate striker for united with 80m+ to spend and has to resort to michael owen then jesus £#%&!ing wept. and thats not knee jerk.

are you telling me owen is the best we can do?

does saf watch football and know of good strikers out there we can bring in?

there are strikers out there.

how about being shrewd and signing a striker 2 seasons before we pay 20m+ for him as opposed to the 4m he is probably going for now?
Closed Thread