United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:23 AM
King Eric

Great performance from Blind yesterday, there's not many CB, who can score a great controlled shot goal like he did yesterday.

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Dasilvatwins

love him at CB. we finally have a CB who can pass comfortably 30-40 yards without looking like he shit himself (evans).

Unread 13-09-2015, 01:43 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Imagine not rating this lad.
He's made a few sages look pretty daft. Tbf I've loved the guy since day one but still doubted him at CB. So wrong. dreamboat
Don't like him at CB but what a superb footballer.

Unread 13-09-2015, 03:11 PM
angrydimaria

He strikes the ball so cleanly...

Unread 13-09-2015, 03:23 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Imagine not rating this lad.
He's made a few sages look pretty daft. Tbf I've loved the guy since day one but still doubted him at CB. So wrong. dreamboat
Still early days, but I must say this CB pairing is one I never would have thought would look so good. Was never a Smalling fan and would have expected Blind to be exposed at CB. Need to see it sustained, though. You always suspect Blind will struggle against the Gomis-like strikers, but he's intelligent enough to get better and better. Very interesting pairing.

Unread 13-09-2015, 03:29 PM
saffers

This is a sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He should end up a good signing over the course of many years. I've had doubts about him physically but it's surely harsh to write him off when he's just turned 25, is still adapting and is clearly a player who relies on being fully in tune with the tactical side of the game.
This is not a sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
He's alright but he's no star ffs.

For me he's been an adequate shield in that position but he falls short in a bunch of categories to be considered top class.

He's like a weird cross between a load back player maker and a tenacious ball winner.

He doesn't have the strength, drive or tenacity to be a Vidal type hard presser.

And he doesn't have the skills, composure or vision of say a Pirlo or even carrick. Too often he'll not have shown for the ball leaving our players isolated.

If you watch the spurs game we played so well largely because everytime we got the ball we had one or two options to pass to with carrick being always on. He had be hungry enough to get into space, brave enough to demand it despite not being in acres of space and then have the composure and vision to play it on.

So far Daley has been nothing more than a utility player IMO. Like a jones from fergie era or o'shea.
Still unsure as to what a 'load back player maker' is

Unread 13-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Bunker Buster

Those who know football, knew Daley was going to be alright...

He just works.

Unread 13-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Tiberian

The odd thing is that he came originally as a midfielder but has looked better at both left back and CB. I thought his lack of pace and strength would be a problem in defensive areas but it was more consistently an issue in midfield.

He might still have an eye on a midfield slot given the age of Carrick and Schwiensteiger.

Unread 13-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Nicebutdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
This is a sage

This is not a sage

He is just flavor of the month. Wait for his form to dip and people will say he's always been shit.

The truth is somewhere in between. At the moment our tactics suit him perfectly.

Quote:
This is a sage

This is not a sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
The odd thing is that he came originally as a midfielder but has looked better at both left back and CB. I thought his lack of pace and strength would be a problem in defensive areas but it was more consistently an issue in midfield.

He might still have an eye on a midfield slot given the age of Carrick and Schwiensteiger.
Then he'd have to play a lot better than he did last season. Tidy player but he would be a big step down from Schweinrrick and thats not the direction the team want to head in. In 2 seasons time I imagine it tops the list for our scouts. I expect a big CM signing in 2017.

Unread 13-09-2015, 04:02 PM
puressence

remember when collymore had bruce and pallister on toast once think we won the double that season :shakehead:

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Luffy

Quote:
This is a sage

This is not a sage

£#%&! off, I was talking about him as a midfielder.

I've said he's a squad player and I'll be proven right, when he's our Mr Versatile for the next few years. If he somehow becomes a top class CB he'll stay there. He's definitely better as a defender than a midfielder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

No he came as a left back, he was LB for Ajax and Holland, but he's versatile so got played at DM and now CB. He's not excellent at any of those positions but capable of covering all of them.

He's definitely the best utility player around, can't think of anyone else who can cover so convincingly.

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Alan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yeah, but Rojo is shit at defending
Yeah he had a nightmare keeping Robben quiet in the world cup didn't he?

Unread 13-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Zorg

Damn sexy too

Unread 14-09-2015, 01:04 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicebutdim
As I said we will see. There is no harm highlighting a potential concern. He did well at LB last season but Shaw is now the clear no. 1 there. Was asked to perform the 6 role also but dont think that really worked hence the signings of Schwein and Schneid.

Now he is at CB and doing a good job but one of the biggest crticisms of the team is the lack of tempo and risk taking up front. If these increase then the pitch stretches and the defense has to really man up individually. So lets lets see how he does then.
See what? We both agree his deficiencies will lead to him being exposed every now and again. You think it will happen more than I do. He's skilled enough to cope most of the time, but like all players will get caught every now and again. What's to see?

He won't be our long term central defender. He's a squad player who can play numerous positions and do so proficiently in all of them.

Unread 14-09-2015, 01:16 AM
Darmian_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Yeah he had a nightmare keeping Robben quiet in the world cup didn't he?

The underrating of Rojo is baffling. Honestly speaking, I can only see Real Madrid(Ramos), Barcelona(Pique) having the better defenders than what we have. I think if we sign John Stones next season, we will sort it as I expect Mcnair to be a really top class CB over the next decade.

Unread 14-09-2015, 01:23 AM
jem

um... yeah.... if we sign stones.

probs sort our forwards if we sign messi, ronaldo and müller too.

Unread 14-09-2015, 08:05 AM
Nicebutdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
See what? We both agree his deficiencies will lead to him being exposed every now and again. You think it will happen more than I do. He's skilled enough to cope most of the time, but like all players will get caught every now and again. What's to see?

He won't be our long term central defender. He's a squad player who can play numerous positions and do so proficiently in all of them.
Not that complicated really. As you say I think he will be exposed more often than you do and also perhaps in a crucial game where the opposition don't just sit back. And not because he's just having a bad game (everyone does occasionally) but because he won't be able to cope physically. But I definitely agree with you about his long term role. A very good guy to have filling in but I doubt he's the end of our search for a top CB.

Unread 14-09-2015, 09:11 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmian_fan
The underrating of Rojo is baffling. Honestly speaking, I can only see Real Madrid(Ramos), Barcelona(Pique) having the better defenders than what we have. I think if we sign John Stones next season, we will sort it as I expect Mcnair to be a really top class CB over the next decade.
Pique really isn't that good tbh, neither is Ramos.

Neither is Rojo, but that's by the by.

Unread 14-09-2015, 09:36 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Pique really isn't that good tbh, neither is Ramos.

Neither is Rojo, but that's by the by.
Neither is Stones. Honestly, I don't see it.

There really aren't that many totes amazing centre halves about these days.

Unread 14-09-2015, 09:56 AM
dunk

Stones could be though.

It did make me laugh when they were showing highlights of his good moments on Saturday and every one was as a result of a £#%&! up by him to begin with
Closed Thread