United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-09-2015, 10:13 PM
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicebutdim
I will just start the countdown till the moment he gets utterly exposed defensively.

You can't be a slow, short, weak CB in this league and always get away with it.
But you can be a sleek, one-step-ahead, pimped out dreamboat CB in this league and get away with it

Unread 12-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Jethro

Quote:
I will just start the countdown till the moment he gets utterly exposed defensively.

You can't be a slow, short, weak CB in this league and always get away with it.
So when will it be? Each week it's been the following game

Unread 12-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Nicebutdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
So when will it be? Each week it's been the following game
Well Gomis had him on toast for most of the Swansea game. Smalling has been doing a champion job covering for him at times.

Anyway whatever, used to hear the same thing about Evans. Be a miracle if it doesn't happen.

Unread 12-09-2015, 10:25 PM
morgan

Quote:
Anyway whatever, used to hear the same thing about Evans. Be a miracle if it doesn't happen.
Please

Unread 12-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Nicebutdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan
Please
Are you serious? People used to defend that bum for years calling him a classy player blah blah blah.... over half of redcafe probably held that view until last seaon.

Knew he wasn't up to it ever since Bobby Zamora bullied him like a 6 year old. We'll see what happens with Blind. Already seen him blown past on the counter last year. This year seen Gomis shove him around and several players turn him like it was nothing. The day is coming.

Unread 12-09-2015, 10:57 PM
morgan

Quote:
Are you serious? People used to defend that bum for years calling him a classy player blah blah blah.... over half of redcafe probably held that view until last seaon.

Knew he wasn't up to it ever since Bobby Zamora bullied him like a 6 year old. We'll see what happens with Blind. Already seen him blown past on the counter last year. This year seen Gomis shove him around and several players turn him like it was nothing. The day is coming.
Blind is closer to Dennis Irwin than Jonny Evans. He knows his position and can play football doesn't matter if he's not a beast athlete

Unread 12-09-2015, 11:04 PM
Nicebutdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan
Blind is closer to Dennis Irwin than Jonny Evans. He knows his position and can play football doesn't matter if he's not a beast athlete
It will and has mattered. He's a tidy player but he's short, slow and weak. There will be games where we don't control the play and he he will get isolated by a good player.

Unread 12-09-2015, 11:12 PM
General Woundwort

Thumbs up

Quote:
It will and has mattered. He's a tidy player but he's short, slow and weak. There will be games where we don't control the play and he he will get isolated by a good player.
Defiance towards those who say you can't go through life being a stupid @#%&!.

Unread 12-09-2015, 11:17 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Well Gomis had him on toast for most of the Swansea game. Smalling has been doing a champion job covering for him at times.

If you say so

Unread 12-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Crumps

Have no worries about Daley at centre half. His pace isn't really an issue as centre half. Very few teams play with two up front nowadays so he will very rarely be in a position where a team can isolate take advantage of him in the air. Not seen him bullied physically yet either.

His ability to read the game, organise and his quality on the ball outweigh any of the perceived negatives.

Unread 12-09-2015, 11:43 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli
This Blind and Smalling partneership could possibly blossom into something rather special for us.

I'd much rather stick with Blind over either Jones or Rojo for the remainder of the season.

So much more composure at the back.

Hopefully won't need to witness any more of these moments....

Jones wouldn't have let Benteke get his shot off today if he was in Herrera's position NQAT

Unread 12-09-2015, 11:44 PM
Nicebutdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
Defiance towards those who say you can't go through life being a stupid c***.
Well I was told last week that I was a stupid @#%&! for wanting Young back in the team. Now I am a stupid @#%&! because I dont think Daley Blind at CB is like Dennis Irwin, our greatest ever left back.

What a great collection of minds.

Unread 12-09-2015, 11:51 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
Jones wouldn't have let Benteke get his shot off today if he was in Herrera's position NQAT
Don't see why that gif gets rolled out as a negative.

Jones is superior to Smalling in every aspect too imho.

Just needs to stay bleeding fit and he will turn it round too. Smalling is a perfect example of how good the coaching set up is now and how ridiculous it is to be playing a centre half as a full back in the modern game. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of their injuries under Fergie and Moyes came from the change in physical demands when £#%&!ed about at right back.

Quote:
Well I was told last week that I was a stupid c*** for wanting Young back in the team. Now I am a stupid c*** because I dont think Daley Blind at CB is like Dennis Irwin, our greatest ever left back.

You were right about Young, you're wrong about Blind.

Unread 12-09-2015, 11:56 PM
Jethro

Blind was up against a supposed monster of a centre forward. A
Physical bully. There was a moment in the first half where Blind disposed of him with ease.

He'll be given the run around from time to time. We're in a league where the most anonymous of forwards can have a game where they put in a class shift.

I'm more than comfortable with him in defence

Unread 13-09-2015, 12:01 AM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Well I was told last week that I was a stupid @#%&! for wanting Young back in the team. Now I am a stupid @#%&! because I dont think Daley Blind at CB is like Dennis Irwin, our greatest ever left back.

tbf I missed the post in which you compared a centre half to a left back. I responded to the one which suggested you'd either not seen Blind play at centre half or were #@&%!ed. On reflection I feel quite bad because it's probably a combination of the two.

Unread 13-09-2015, 12:14 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Theres only one way to find out! Only 33 league matches left to go.
Plenty of cup games too.

Unread 13-09-2015, 12:55 AM
sa7

Quote:

I think I've identified where you're going wrong

Unread 13-09-2015, 01:59 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Doesn't every central defender occasionally?

People said the same when he played left back but it didn't happen. It will happen occasionally, but no more than any other good defender. It's really quite a rare occurrence, because of his intelligence, reading of the game and positioning. Having pace around him and that midfield in front of him will obviously help a lot too.

Man of the match and some people still find something to criticise, even if they have to invent an imaginary mistake in a future match to do it. For some, there's always a negative where united are concerned.

Unread 13-09-2015, 04:38 AM
Ethers

Imagine not rating this lad.
He's made a few sages look pretty daft. Tbf I've loved the guy since day one but still doubted him at CB. So wrong. dreamboat

Unread 13-09-2015, 05:17 AM
Nicebutdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Doesn't every central defender occasionally?

People said the same when he played left back but it didn't happen. It will happen occasionally, but no more than any other good defender. It's really quite a rare occurrence, because of his intelligence, reading of the game and positioning. Having pace around him and that midfield in front of him will obviously help a lot too.

Man of the match and some people still find something to criticise, even if they have to invent an imaginary mistake in a future match to do it. For some, there's always a negative where united are concerned.
As I said we will see. There is no harm highlighting a potential concern. He did well at LB last season but Shaw is now the clear no. 1 there. Was asked to perform the 6 role also but dont think that really worked hence the signings of Schwein and Schneid.

Now he is at CB and doing a good job but one of the biggest crticisms of the team is the lack of tempo and risk taking up front. If these increase then the pitch stretches and the defense has to really man up individually. So lets lets see how he does then.
Closed Thread