United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Pudge_Bear

Default So then, Owen Hargreaves...

Opinions on him so far?

Personally, I'm slightly concerned. We have spent £18 million on him, which to be quite frank we havent got value for so far. Think he is a cracking player, but the man doesnt seem to be able to play 2 games in a week, thus, can we build a midfield around him? I'm not sure.

Unread 06-01-2008, 01:21 PM
edwin

Biggest worry so far is his injury record.

Unread 06-01-2008, 01:26 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin
Biggest worry so far is his injury record.
yup. we've been very unlucky with scholes' injury, but very lucky with the emergence of anderson so quickly. if anderson had taken longer to settle in we'd have really struggled (jos and fletcher alongside carrick doesn't really bear thinking about).

i really rate hargreaves and was expecting him, scholes and carrick to be two from three for our m/f this season. with the season anderson's having, though, i can't see past scholes and anderson as first choice.

after the problems we've had post-keane it's a relief to say i'd take our m/f over any of our rivals' atm.

happy times.

Unread 06-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Pudge_Bear

Good point. Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Anderson as centre midfield options. As a pool, that is very impressive indeed. It does make you wonder though, what the hell was Fergie doing at the tail of Keanes career. It almost seems he took the attitude, if i cant find anyone as good as keane, im not buying anyone. i guess the issue of spending big money on someone and then feeling obligated to drop him when keane was fit played a big part in that though.

Unread 06-01-2008, 01:52 PM
tatty

We've gone from famine to feast this season in midfield.

I expected Anderson to need a season to bed-in but he's been the dogs conkers which is fortunate for Hargreaves as it's drawn attention away from his fitness/performance.

A decent run of games/fitness will see Anderson/Hargreaves as our first choice pairing imo.

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Flowers of Manchester

I'm sure at the 10 yr IMUSA bash that Fergie said he went to 4-5-1 cos of Keane and still wanted him to play him cos of influence and most of the time still had it but didnt have the legs hence the extra midfielder.

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Pudge_Bear

hargreaves seems to still have the knee problem that he had at the beginning of the season, this is what worries me. it hasnt gone away, hes just managing it and playing through the pain. which is unfortunate, as he should be our midfield linch pin. it will be interesting come march when we have key champs league game, fa cup, key league games etc, if his body can handle the saturday-wednesday-saturday at a time when we will really need him. the signs arent good.

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:07 PM
1MUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge_Bear
Opinions on him so far?

Personally, I'm slightly concerned. We have spent £18 million on him, which to be quite frank we havent got value for so far. Think he is a cracking player, but the man doesnt seem to be able to play 2 games in a week, thus, can we build a midfield around him? I'm not sure.
Don't be silly, he's been pretty much injured ever since he has been with us.

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Pudge_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers of Manchester
I'm sure at the 10 yr IMUSA bash that Fergie said he went to 4-5-1 cos of Keane and still wanted him to play him cos of influence and most of the time still had it but didnt have the legs hence the extra midfielder.
ruud didnt suit a strike partnership, probably didnt help.

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Pudge_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
Don't be silly, he's been pretty much injured ever since he has been with us.
i dont understand what your point is. we seem to be saying broadly the same thing no?

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:11 PM
1MUFC

Quote:
i dont understand what your point is. we seem to be saying broadly the same thing no?
Yeah i suppose we are a bit, why are you concerned though. He's been injured, he'll recover and show what he can do.

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Sparky***

Great defensive midfielder. I just wish he could stay fit for more than a week at a time.

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Pudge_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
Yeah i suppose we are a bit, why are you concerned though. He's been injured, he'll recover and show what he can do.
i dont think he has/is recovered. i think hes playing with it, and that means 2 games a week has not happened.

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:14 PM
1MUFC

Quote:
i dont think he has/is recovered. i think hes playing with it, and that means 2 games a week has not happened.
Well I think the nature of the injury he has got is a working progress, there is no reason why he won’t get over it in time. I am not concerned about him in the slightest.

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:28 PM
puressence

hargo when fit will become utds most influential player ..

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:42 PM
The Return of JC

In fairness though, he's probably played less because of the options in the midfield.

If we were short of numbers I'm sure we'd have seen him more, but seeing as we can bring in Carrick (who I thought played really well yesterday), Anderson, Scholes (earlier in the season) and even Fletcher then why risk him?

He's been available for the two games where he's been most needed (Liverpool and Arse) and I can't really think of an occasion where he's been missed.

I think everyone expeced him to feature more than he has, but it's hardly caused us any problems and I'm sure he'll feature more in the 2nd half of the season.

A minor concern, at best.

I think potential problems for the season re if anyone of Vidic, Rio, Rooney, Tevez or Evra get injured for a long period of time because the cover isn't good enough in those areas.

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:44 PM
razzle

i think the point pudge is making is that he is concerned about his injury record, not his quality

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
No he wont.

He's a cracking defensive midfielder, thanks to the fact he's £#%&!ing rapid he can get up & down but he doesn't do a great deal with the ball once he's got it other than shuffle it on. Anderson will do the same thing regarding the work-rate but his use of the ball will prove to be far more important to us that Hargreaves. Thankfully the pairing should ensure we rinse it with them both fit & in form.

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
And Michael Owen will be Newcastle's, the trouble is it's very difficult to influence anything if you're injury prone. I don't know if Hargreaves is, what was his injury record like at Bayern? Is he unlucky this year or is he another Saha, anyone know?

Unread 06-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Pudge_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
And Michael Owen will be Newcastle's, the trouble is it's very difficult to influence anything if you're injury prone. I don't know if Hargreaves is, what was his injury record like at Bayern? Is he unlucky this year or is he another Saha, anyone know?
All-Time Club Performance Club Season Domestic League Domestic Cup International Total
App Goals App Goals App Goals App Goals
Bayern Munich 2000-01 14 0 1 0 4 0 19 0
2001-02 29 0 4 0 14a 0 47 0
2002-03 25 1 5 1 5 0 35 2
2003-04 25 2 3 0 6 0 34 2
2004-05 27 1 3 2 8 0 38 3
2005-06 16 1 4 2 3 0 22 3
2006-07 9 0 1 0 5 0 15 0
Total 145 5 21 5 45 0 211 10

Not that great in the last 2-3 years.
Closed Thread