United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Pochettino for United - YES or NO?
Yes 22 37.29%
No 37 62.71%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 23-03-2016, 05:56 PM
ashtonred

Default Mauricio Pochettino - Manchester United

On the assumpion that Louis goes at the end of this season and Mo-Po prevails over ALL others would you be happy with him being appointed as our permanent new manager?
I'd be more than happy. He's done great work at both Southampton and Spurs. Plays attractive football - speaks the language and no "me me me" BS.
In fact, for me, the ideal candidate.

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Switching Off

I'd be cautiously optimistic.

I would hope it works out.

If it didn't, I would want Mourinho.

I may occassionally consider whether Moyes was that bad after all, before checking myself.

WBU?

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:06 PM
S/Side.Red

It's the composition of the team as much as anything. We have the best part of a dozen young players in or around the squad. Ideally someone a touch more proven than Poch, but I think we need a manager who is inclined to appreciate that type of job, not one who will go against his instincts and try it for a few months before buying Gonzalo Higuain in January. No names etc.

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Tiberian

The rise of the young players at Utd does create a conundrum. You want someone to continue along those lines, it is the main positive of the last 2 years. Mourinho is the obvious option to bring success back, but his history in trusting youth is not encouraging.

Pochettino looks a safe bet based on what he has achieved in his last 2 jobs, domestically he is the best option.

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
The rise of the young players at Utd does create a conundrum. You want someone to continue along those lines, it is the main positive of the last 2 years. Mourinho is the obvious option to bring success back, but his history in trusting youth is not encouraging.

Pochettino looks a safe bet based on what he has achieved in his last 2 jobs, domestically he is the best option.
certainly does, especially the one that might involve giving credit to the person overseeing it and, god forbid , allowing him to continue that fine work

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
certainly does, especially the one that might involve giving credit to the person overseeing it and, god forbid , allowing him to continue that fine work
It is still an option, there have been gradual improvements in the performances since the turn of the year. I still have serious reservations about his transfer activity and if we accept that he is going to have spend a great deal more in the summer then I am not sure I would trust him to identify the right players.

It has also been previously stated that is will be his last season before retirement, not sure how concrete that is but you would have to be concerned at the possible effect that has on the squad

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:26 PM
ScarFace

maybe after jose, once real sack him.

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Sparky***

Getting spurs into the top 4 is now manchester united manager material is it?

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Top 2, tbf. I still fancy them to win the league, though hopefully we kill that little dream in a couple of weeks

Quote:
It is still an option, there have been gradual improvements in the performances since the turn of the year. I still have serious reservations about his transfer activity and if we accept that he is going to have spend a great deal more in the summer then I am not sure I would trust him to identify the right players.

It has also been previously stated that is will be his last season before retirement, not sure how concrete that is but you would have to be concerned at the possible effect that has on the squad
Hopefully the scouting is being developed properly. There's not been much imagination about Van Gaal's signings, have there? This would back up the notion that he's basically almost having to identify players on his own. Better structure needed.

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Sparky***

Why not Ranieri then?

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Cream

Minimum requirement: win the league.

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:35 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I still fancy them to win the league, .
nahh not with their fixtures,

lezdor imo

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:37 PM
ashtonred

Quote:

Who mentioned Les Patterson? In his second season at Spurs the Spanish 'looker' is knocking at the door. Now let me see .. our 3rd season post Fergie?

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
nahh not with their fixtures,

lezdor imo
Leicester's move towards scrappy 1-0 wins gives me a little doubt about them, while Spurs still look capable of smashing teams. You may be right, though. Ranieri deserves a lot of credit for seemingly making them more defensively sound, which they've needed since scoring against deep defences became more difficult with fewer counter attacking possibilities.

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

i'm not sure him having just 1 year left isn't actually a positive... it means that if they're brave the club could give him the chance to develop the youth set-up further and see where it takes us long term. this manager is clearly giving them a path to the first team and their motivation must be huge to work hard and make sure they get their chance. it also makes coming to united a tremendous pull for young talented kids everywhere... united haven't won anything for 3 yrs, so is another year really going to matter in the grand scheme of things if this works?

i'm also unimpressed with some of his transfer activity, but by the same token he's made some very good signings as well - martial, blind, schneiderlin and darmian all have long term potential at united, for example. we could do with 2 or 3 in and out i reckon, not much more than that. muller, a hummels type and a combative midfielder with legs...

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
It's definitely the best thing for these young players for Van Gaal to stay, and hopefully add and bring through more. And in the long term it's probably better for the club. But we deal in a sport that is largely about the short term, and fan consensus will reflect that.

Top four and an FA Cup would probably help adjust that, mind

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:47 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Why not Ranieri then?
Start a thread. You're off topic - this isn't about other potential candidates.

Unread 23-03-2016, 06:49 PM
King Eric

1,000% No

Unread 23-03-2016, 07:19 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Why not Ranieri then?
Apart from anything else, a bit old now?

(just a couple of months younger than LvG)

Unread 23-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Baron

Might sound a touch disingenuous, but getting Spurs in with a shout is not quite the big deal as everyone is saying. IMO. The league this year is genuinely shit. The French league is better. The quality is a shambles, from the pitch to the boardroom of almost every club. Money over teams has prevailed, Utd as much as anywhere. Spurs have bucked that trend & maybe it's all Poch. But Levy has a new stadium to finance... Maybe Poch is as lucky as Van Gaal? Perfect storm type scenario tbh. Same for Leicester. Not to discredit either (well... Not too much) but you have to acknowledge just how £#%&! English football is at the moment.

Maybe if he wins it, strengthens & he can come in after Jose when he inevitably goes full %@#$&! in two seasons after getting us back at the pointy end.
Closed Thread