United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-10-2016, 11:27 AM
saffers

Default Ander exclusive on getting back into the Spain setup, Mourinho, freedom etc

Mourinho has converted Herrera into a holding midfielder, however the Basque has been encouraged to get forward more than he did under the United manager's predecessor.

"Mourinho encourages me to do it," Herrera told El Correo. "I scored recently in the cup and I have hit the post [against Northampton] from long-range too.

"Mourinho gives you more freedom as a player; he wants the player’s instinct to come through. It’s true that you then have to have that defensive order but he tells us to let that if that instinct guides us on the pitch then we should try things."

Herrera received his first proper call-up to the Spain senior squad this month, having previously been involved with the national team at the London 2012 Olympics.

The 27-year-old insists he was never likely to force his way into the Roja squad under Van Gaal and is 'overjoyed' Mourinho has shown so much faith in him.

"It’s been difficult to get back because this is the fifth season since the Olympics," Herrera added. "I’m overjoyed because I have fought hard for it. I know that in the two years under Van Gaal I was not in the United team enough to be called up.

"Now with Mourinho I’m feeling good. He is putting faith in me and giving me that chance to play regularly in a top side. Now I have to show that I deserve to stay in the United XI and deserve to keep getting the call to join the Spain squad."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....rrera-11998856
---

Knowing this guy's mentality, getting that taste of the big time again will just motivate him to do better. Will be seen as one of the players of the season come May.

Unread 09-10-2016, 12:07 PM
guerreiro

Delighted he's turned his life around after all his 'troubles' <glug>

Unread 09-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Delighted he's turned his life around after all his 'troubles' <glug>

Always a fan of the lad and never questioned his on the pitch attitude, just his ability.... so far he's been diamond though in that role. Still think our best 3 would be with him, Blind or Carrick and El Poggers..... we'll get done on the counter by better teams if he's the def mid

Unread 09-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Drexl

Fan of the lad.

Shocked he is 27 though. Come to think of it.. was that how many seconds gerrard was on for when he stamped on him

Unread 09-10-2016, 06:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Unused sub against Italy.

Pleased for the lad.

Unread 09-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Pleased for the lad.
very snide.

Unread 09-10-2016, 06:55 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
very snide.

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:02 PM
dragflick

Quote:

Pleased for the lad.
Shocked he didn't start over Iniesta and Busquets tbh.

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:09 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Shocked he didn't start over Iniesta and Busquets tbh.
Or Koke, Silva, Thiago etc.

Genuinely wish the lad luck nailing a place.

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:13 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Or Koke, Silva, Thiago etc.

Genuinely wish the lad luck nailing a place.
Thiago didn't start, pal.

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:15 PM
My Name is Keith

Couldn't give a £#%&! as long as he's delivering for united.

Could be written for ando:

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Thiago didn't start, pal.
Indeed, so Ander perhaps not even first choice off the bench.

Again, all the best to him.

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:27 PM
goldfinger II

Hopefully, he will finally get what he has needed since day 1 - a run of games in midfield.

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:33 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Indeed, so Ander perhaps not even first choice off the bench.

Again, all the best to him.
Agreed.

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Lok

He has to be in the starting XI. The alternatives aren't even worth thinking about (Fellaini, Blind, Rooney).

He has more urgency than the rest of our midfielders and always wants to get things moving. Hopefully he can make the position his own and continue to grow.

It's interesting that so many of the players still hold a grudge against LvG. I've lost count of the people who talk about 'freedom'. All the more crazy when you consider Mourinho's reputation for tactical discipline.

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Switching Off

On the bench tonight.

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
On the bench tonight.

De Gea at right back?

I know they're only playing Albania but that's taking the piss.

Unread 09-10-2016, 07:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
On the bench tonight.

Unread 09-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Sapien

Why does Siders hate Ander so much?

Unread 09-10-2016, 08:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Why does Siders hate Ander so much?
http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=564

No hate in my game at all. I praised his performance against Leicester.

He just benefits from a strange bias with fans. Fellaini was better than him last year.

Needs to step it up this season. He's 27 now; time to become a proper player.
Closed Thread