United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the @#%&!s who lived next door to us played 3 lions on repeat every night between midnight and 2am. for that reason alone, nessun dorma wins. and for any other reason too. never heard ze germans singing nessun dorma. please do not post a vid if they ever did.

Thought you would love the old arrogant Germans tbh,

I envisage you walking around like this all the time.....

Unread 07-06-2016, 12:55 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
3 Lions is a worthy winner tbf

Italia 90 was big with the whole Gazza tears thing & everything but I've never known Football capture the zeitgeist the way it did in the summer of 96.
England played some £#%&!ing great stuff (& served up plenty of shite too) - but that song was immortalised that summer.
Absolute death of the game as we knew it, if you thought football was invented with the premiership, Euro 96' was Christmas

Unread 07-06-2016, 01:02 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack

möller can £#%&! right off.

Unread 07-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Mr Kaboom

Has to be

Unread 07-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

Still winds me up to this day that #@&%!.

Unread 07-06-2016, 01:22 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Absolute death of the game as we knew it, if you thought football was invented with the premiership, Euro 96' was Christmas
nobody likes a good moan more than me but I don't see it that way really.
I know what you're saying but I think the success of Euro 96 was fairly organic tbh ..It just built a natural momentum.

the death of the game as we know it is purely a result of the money in the top leagues via corrupt foreign investment & television imo

Euro 96 was just people having fun from what I remember.

Unread 07-06-2016, 01:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
nobody likes a good moan more than me but I don't see it that way really.
I know what you're saying but I think the success of Euro 96 was fairly organic tbh ..It just built a natural momentum.

the death of the game as we know it is purely a result of the money in the top leagues via corrupt foreign investment & television imo

Euro 96 was just people having fun from what I remember.
I don't think Euro 96 was specifically responsible but it did make English football appear more attractive and afterwards we saw a huge influx of foreign players wanting to play their football here.

United started blazing a trail again for English football in the champions league, the premier league became more popular, tv money went up and everything took off from there.

Unread 07-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Albert Tatlock

This year's effort is rather poor in comparison

Unread 07-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

I was a little disappointed but I found it highly amusing tbh, especially when they started singing 'its coming home' Those vacky Germans

Unread 07-06-2016, 01:32 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
I don't think Euro 96 was specifically responsible but it did make English football appear more attractive and afterwards we saw a huge influx of foreign players wanting to play their football here.

United started blazing a trail again for English football in the champions league, the premier league became more popular, tv money went up and everything took off from there.
that's all true tbf mate, I think I was saying more the tournament itself wasn't intentionally responsible for changing Football, I just think lots of people really enjoyed it who might usually not have done - but of course you're correct. As soon as the money men saw the surge of interest in Football in England they capitalised every last drop from it.

3 Lions is iconic though. The country came to a halt for those games with Scotland, Holland, Spain & then especially the SF with Germany.

Unread 07-06-2016, 01:33 PM
jem

Quote:
I was a little disappointed but I found it highly amusing tbh, especially when they started singing 'its coming home' Those vacky Germans
"who says we germans have no sense of humour?" just about everybody, I think.

Unread 07-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Tell me about it... you should see the @#%&! in the referendum thread

Unread 07-06-2016, 01:42 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Tell me about it... you should see the @#%&! in the referendum thread

Unread 07-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Italia 90 was big with the whole Gazza tears thing & everything
I assume by 'everything' you mean a terrible tournament with no standout teams, hardly any standout games, and so cynical, defensive, and violent that it helped lead to the ban in tackling from behind and backpasses to the keeper.

Unread 07-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I assume by 'everything' you mean a terrible tournament with no standout teams, hardly any standout games, and so cynical, defensive, and violent that it helped lead to the ban in tackling from behind and backpasses to the keeper.
So you must have loved it then? Given how much you adore Argie football?

Unread 07-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Grimson

Quote:
So you must have loved it then? Given how much you adore Argie football?
You don't know the first thing about Argie football.

Violent at times maybe, but defensive It's the most artistic football on the planet.

Unread 07-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Rorschach

Italia 90 was the first World Cup I watched in the pub with my mates and beer and everything. England hadn't become Ingerlund to me by this point & I was happy enough to get carried on the wave all the way to the semis.

Fondest memory is still the Cannigia assassination by half of the Cameroon squad in the opening match. Ahhh, the beautiful game.

Unread 07-06-2016, 03:35 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach
..I watched in the pub with my mates and beer and everything. England hadn't become Ingerlund to me by this point & I was happy enough to get carried on the wave all the way to the semis.
This is probably the same reason why Euro 96 is a fond memory for me tbh.
£#%&!ing loved that summer

Unread 07-06-2016, 03:37 PM
Sparky***

World Cup 1998 was good but ABUism was at it's peak by then.

Also this intro by the BBC was great.

Unread 07-06-2016, 04:09 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
World Cup 1998 was good but ABUism was at it's peak by then
Well, it certainly hit its peak just afterwards. Remember the "Becks as a dartboard" pullout from one paper?
Closed Thread