United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default The 89 transfer splurge

this has got a similar feel to it, the same sort of backdrop anyway

can someone that's good at maths work out what they would have cost relative to today's prices and today's relative values

what I mean is Danny Wallace doesn't quite equate to Di Maria, but he'd have been at least the price Young was I suppose? Rojo is Pallister, who was a British transfer record (which was £50m before this summer iirc)... Blind is Phelan, Herrera is Webb... not sure who Fakcao is equivalent to - maybe Hughes from the season before? And we haven't signed Ince. Yet.

Unread 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Tronics

Throb giving it the big 'un now

Unread 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

can someone that's good at maths work out what they would have cost relative to today's prices and today's relative values

what I mean is Danny Wallace doesn't quite equate to Di Maria, but he'd have been at least the price Young was I suppose? Rojo is Pallister, who was a British transfer record (which was £50m before this summer iirc)... Blind is Phelan, Herrera is Webb... not sure who Fakcao is equivalent to - maybe Hughes from the season before? And we haven't signed Ince. Yet.

Unread 01-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Tumescent Throb

just answerr the question you @#%&!s

Unread 01-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Red Dragon

Danny £#%&!ing Wallace

Unread 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM
wonky no

Blind is £#%&!ing seething with this post

Unread 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Tiberian

We are all a little discombobulated with the nature of this transfer window, but Danny Wallace and Di Maria in the same sentence

Unread 01-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Cream

I wanted Rod Wallace.

Unread 01-09-2014, 05:02 PM
92ToBury

So, lump on us to win the FA Cup, I think that means.

Unread 01-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Tumescent Throb

Good point wonky, i've £#%&!ed it up haven't I - Shaw is Phelan, Blind is Ince; so...

can someone just do the math please

Unread 01-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Good point wonky, i've £#%&!ed it up haven't I - Shaw is Phelan, Blind is Ince; so...

can someone just do the math please
Throb + Words = @#%&!

Unread 01-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Throb + Words = @#%&!

are you saying this isn't a similar scenario?

Unread 01-09-2014, 05:26 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:

All over the shop you giddy kipper

(Sobering to think what Neil Webb would cost in today's market. We got him for 1.5, Forest wanted a British record 2.5 million).

Unread 01-09-2014, 05:26 PM
believe

This is united finally catching up with the times I'm afraid and something we've needed to do for six years. Someone mentioned earlier (watcher I think) that it feels quite mercenary, well that's exactly what it is and what football as become and it's about time we embraced it.

From the owners to the managers, to the players, the agent, the media and the fans, mercenary is what best describes it all.

I'm more glad that it's a slap in the face for all those who moaned about where the glazers money came from ,what they did or,didn't do with it, who gives a £#%&!? It's all about winning and that's all there is to it.

Unread 01-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Ashley's Grime

I remember ringing Clubcall in a frenzy to see if we'd signed Mike Phelan.
Did you know.....? Peter Smith who's a reporter on ssn now used to do United clubcall. True story.

Unread 01-09-2014, 05:56 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
I wanted Rod.

Unread 01-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
I wanted Rod Wallace.
So did the club, apparently.

Unread 01-09-2014, 06:38 PM
dodger

Another parallel is the club legends who had been moved on. For Rio, evra and vidic we had Whiteside McGrath and...erm...Anderson? Ooh a hint of irony there.

Unread 01-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

This is united finally catching up with the times I'm afraid and something we've needed to do for six years. Someone mentioned earlier (watcher I think) that it feels quite mercenary, well that's exactly what it is and what football as become and it's about time we embraced it.

From the owners to the managers, to the players, the agent, the media and the fans, mercenary is what best describes it all.

I'm more glad that it's a slap in the face for all those who moaned about where the glazers money came from ,what they did or,didn't do with it, who gives a £#%&!? It's all about winning and that's all there is to it.
Seem to remember seeing you at fc a few times

Unread 01-09-2014, 07:00 PM
HotChip

Quote:
I wanted Rod Wallace.
"We all agree.. Danny is better than Rodney" ffs ?happy days?
Closed Thread