United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Well, it certainly hit its peak just afterwards. Remember the "Becks as a dartboard" pullout from one paper?
Yeah it was just £#%&!ing imbecilic.

I distinctly remember 20 mins after the Argentina game had finished on Fantasy Football, Frank Skinner basically saying "well, i've forgiven beckham because in a few years when he's winning games for England you lot will be saying "oooh i was never part of that anti beckham campaign".

Unread 07-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Rorschach

The lynching of a Beckham effigy by Ingerlunders in London was the final straw for me and for a few years, I actively wanted them to get beat at every opportunity.

I have relented a little since then but still prefer to follow a very average Brasil ahead of England.

Unread 07-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach
The lynching of a Beckham effigy by Ingerlunders in London was the final straw for me and for a few years, I actively wanted them to get beat at every opportunity.

I have relented a little since then but still prefer to follow a very average Brasil ahead of England.
http://therepublikofmancunia.com/singing-for-england/

Unread 07-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Absolute death of the game as we knew it, if you thought football was invented with the premiership, Euro 96' was Christmas
Sean Ingle tries to debunk such notions with a load of statisitics here

https://www.theguardian.com/football...cool-britannia

The comments below say "£#%&! it I don't care", and retort with a load of what MJ is saying here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
I've never known Football capture the zeitgeist the way it did in the summer of 96.
England played some £#%&!ing great stuff (& served up plenty of shite too) - but that song was immortalised that summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
This is probably the same reason why Euro 96 is a fond memory for me tbh.
£#%&!ing loved that summer

Unread 07-06-2016, 05:20 PM
otbarney

World in Motion, except for that shite rap by John £#%&!in Barnes.

Unread 07-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Rorschach

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbarney
World in Motion, except for that shite rap by John £#%&!in Barnes.
Here, try this then:

Unread 07-06-2016, 05:33 PM
jaffo

Euro '96 was great but I £#%&!ing hated 3 Lions then and I hate it even more now.

This is a good football song (as recommended by MJ iirc)

Unread 07-06-2016, 05:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

euro 96 had the usual media shite in the build up, it had a few decent goals - poborsky and gazza - and it had england v holland.

england's semi is memorable enough, but that's about it...

italia 90 had valderama, maradona, mattheuss, baresi, some other blokes, that cameroon milla fella, hooliganism, alcohol, violence, hatred, italy, the snidest final ever...

and england's semi...

and the best football song of all time - new order's world in motion

Unread 07-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
italia 90 had valderama, maradona, mattheuss, baresi, some other blokes, that cameroon milla fella, hooliganism, alcohol, violence, hatred, italy, the snidest final ever...
Maradona was injured the entire tournament. He did his best but he was nothing like his normal self.

Gazza and Toto £#%&!ing Schillachi were the players of the tournament, which says it all really.

Luckily 2010 came along, so it's no longer the worst World Cup of the modern era.

I get that people have fond memories of it because they were young then, but it doesn't make it a better tournament.

Unread 07-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Maradona was injured the entire tournament. He did his best but he was nothing like his normal self.

Gazza and Toto £#%&!ing Schillachi were the players of the tournament, which says it all really.

Luckily 2010 came along, so it's no longer the worst World Cup of the modern era.

I get that people have fond memories of it because they were young then, but it doesn't make it a better tournament.
apart from the semi with germany, two of the things i remember are maradona playing canniggia through to beat brazil, and him scoring a penalty in the shoot-out v italy...

italia 90 wasn't the most spectacular tournament, but it had a great setting and it had great drama to it somehow. it also had the fact that i went to turin and came home via amsterdam :-}

Unread 07-06-2016, 07:22 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
apart from the semi with germany, two of the things i remember are maradona playing canniggia through to beat brazil, and him scoring a penalty in the shoot-out v italy...

italia 90 wasn't the most spectacular tournament, but it had a great setting and it had great drama to it somehow. it also had the fact that i went to turin and came home via amsterdam :-}
Not *much* of an exaggeration to say that is the only memorable thing he did in the whole shebang

And little question for me that it would have been a less awful tournament had it actually been the Argies knocked out then. Still - as with the Dutch two decades later - they ultimately learned that shitting on your entire footballing history in the pursuit of victory at all costs was in the end unavailing. Which was nice.

Unread 07-06-2016, 08:49 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
Euro '96 was great but I £#%&!ing hated 3 Lions then and I hate it even more now.

This is a good football song (as recommended by MJ iirc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfv_9gInFRU

Seen them live a couple of times in the past few weeks.

I heard 3-Lions recently funnily enough (can't remember why?? I guess it was some kind of build up to the twentieth anniversary) ..It sounded awful!

..but 96 will always be special to me - I was at Brixton Academy for the last ever Ramones UK show, I was at Finsbury Park for the Pistols reunion, I was at Wembley for Erics scousebuster in the Cup Final, I was at Donington to see KISS with the make-up back on ....& I had a lovely summer with a girl named Emma ...

....& I remember the buzz of those England Euro 96 games in the pub with my Dad & a load of mates.

Oh to be that happy again

Unread 08-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Throw

Quote:

Also, the opening ceremony was essentially just a bunch of scantily clad Italian models strutting around the pitch. I remember watching it thinking, this is going to be a good few weeks.

Unread 08-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach

the effigy was pathetic.

but the reporting of it in national newspapers and national tv and radio broadcasts was far far worse. why give it the oxygen of publicity? it was not news. it was just a few of those hilarious #@&%!ernees having a giggle.
Closed Thread