Closed Thread

Unread 03-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Tumescent Throb

Default "clubs could do without the FA Cup"

United could do with winning the £#%&!ing thing, I know that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25579811

Unread 03-01-2014, 07:33 AM
ryanMUFC

I think lamberts right, playing two domestic cup competitions is pointles. The f.a cup is something the small clubs get excited about with all that cup magic and giant killing bullshit. It helps smaller clubs out but from a premier league perspective playing a lower division side after a load of winter fixtures when you might have injuries is a pain in the arse. There's the chance of some decent aways ...but there's also the chance of some disgusting home games.

Unread 03-01-2014, 07:49 AM
carlosartorial

It's a dead duck. Nostalgia can't keep it relevant forever.

Unread 03-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Mr Castro

We must be the only top league in Europe to have two domestic cup competitions. Imagine what we could do if the league cup was made lower league only. There would be 3/4 midweek cleared for a domestic programme of league games meaning we could either finish the season earlier or have a winters break.

Unread 03-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Mr_Ed

£750k for winning the FA Cup... Some £40m for staying in the PL?

They should give it a CL place imhoes if they want to keep it relevant.

Unread 03-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
We must be the only top league in Europe to have two domestic cup competitions. Imagine what we could do if the league cup was made lower league only. There would be 3/4 midweek cleared for a domestic programme of league games meaning we could either finish the season earlier or have a winters break.
What do you think would happen during a winters break.....

Unread 03-01-2014, 11:44 AM
MJ Ramone

Have to agree with Lambert tbh
Boring as £#%&! & a waste of a weekends Football.
The coverage of the FA Cup has helped to kill it. Remember that "Keith, Ian & Andy" bantocaust thing on ITV a couple of years ago?
Chelsea powering their way to so many wins in recent years was tedious...Wigan beating City was funny as £#%&! last year but it's pretty much on a par with the League Cup now.
Can't be doing with it.

We could be falling further off the pace this weekend ffs, instead we've got to 'grind out' a win against Swansea at home in the Cup.
At least we'll make it hard for them & do our best to force a replay.

Unread 03-01-2014, 11:59 AM
thrush

Awful sentiments, and sums up modern Football. Try telling the Wigan or Birmingham fans Cup competitions are irrelevant. This aligned with "the battle for fourth" holding so much currency just about sums things up.

I would rather United finish 10th and win an F.A. Cup, than finish 4th and win nothing.

Unread 03-01-2014, 12:08 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrush
Awful sentiments, and sums up modern Football. Try telling the Wigan or Birmingham fans Cup competitions are irrelevant. This aligned with "the battle for fourth" holding so much currency just about sums things up.

I would rather United finish 10th and win an F.A. Cup, than finish 4th and win nothing.
So would I in principle, but it's a completely empty gesture.

So you win the FA Cup and finish 10th. Great.

That Europa league spot looks really appealing to potential signings doesn't it?

The Champions League has £#%&!ed football. The FA Cup is dead. Deal with it.

Unread 03-01-2014, 12:09 PM
WarwickRoad

Quote:

Totally agree. The FA Cup is important - its status has been reduced by the Sky/UEFA beast.

I'd rather return to three European competitions - European Cup, Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup, all on a two-legged knockout format and get rid off all this European league bullshit format.

Extra places could still be provided to countries based on UEFA coefficients

Unread 03-01-2014, 12:13 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarwickRoad
I'd rather return to three European competitions - European Cup, Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup, all on a two-legged knockout format and get rid off all this European league bullshit format.
So would everyone on here I expect. Never going to happen though.

Unread 03-01-2014, 12:19 PM
WarwickRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
So would everyone on here I expect. Never going to happen though.
I share your gloom.

Unread 03-01-2014, 12:30 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
It's a dead duck. Nostalgia can't keep it relevant forever.
and who watches a dead duck? Not even it's mother, she just flies off, depressed.

Unread 03-01-2014, 12:31 PM
ZiggyStardust

The FA Cup is becoming an irrelevance and fans in the media can blame clubs for devaluing the competition but football fans are just as guilty
In the FA Cup's hay day, the biggest attendances of the season where in the FA Cup. Over 80 thousand came to Maine Road in the 40s to watch Utd hammer plucky non-leaguers Yeovil Town
These days stadiums are half full even up to the quarter finals so all this talk of "cup tie atmosphere" is a load of %@#$&!s

The only good thing about the FA Cup these days is a big away allocation if you are drawn away but apart from that its shit

The FA Cup Final used to be a great day with a fantastic atmosphere and with great displays of banners and flags by the fans
The modern Wembley is a soulless bowl devoid of atmosphere
We don't even get Semi-Finals at Villa Park anymore but have to play them at Wembley

Apart from the possibility of a great away day there is nothing about the FA Cup that appeals to me these days.

As I have said before, we won it when it was worth winning

Unread 03-01-2014, 12:37 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
and who watches a dead duck? Not even it's mother, she just flies off, depressed.

Unread 03-01-2014, 01:15 PM
thrush

I've always thought what really did the F.A. Cup was moving the games to Millenium for a few years. I reckon once the New Wembley can build its own defining history, a level of allure may come back to it.

Unread 03-01-2014, 01:18 PM
no fun

Hope Swansea beat us

If we win the fa cup we are in the eurodisney, and that means next season is £#%&!ed

Unread 03-01-2014, 01:20 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
I've always thought what really did the F.A. Cup was moving the games to Millenium for a few years. I reckon once the New Wembley can build its own defining history, a level of allure may come back to it.

Unread 03-01-2014, 01:20 PM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yep. A handful of England friendlies, the next round of NFL games and a summer One Direction concert make that a cert.

Unread 03-01-2014, 01:21 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Can you honestly vividly remember any new Wembley final though?
Closed Thread