United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 02-02-2024, 08:31 AM
armchair

Default We are at our worst at 2-0 up

Unread 02-02-2024, 08:41 AM
magic_cantona

Yes we are. Any lead, at any time and we are absolutely vulnerable. We can never get a third and put the game to bed, it's like a mental block.

And the universe seems to conspire against us too tbf. Some god, somewhere is thinking "2-0 again...£#%&! that, I'm not letting them off this easy. Dodgy pelanty or sending off? Hmm.....".

We genuinely could've scored 9 or 10 yesterday.

Unread 02-02-2024, 08:47 AM
armchair

The positive is teams see us as vulnerable at two nil up so we should be able to hit them on the break. We just need to not over-commit.

Unread 02-02-2024, 08:50 AM
RedNick80

Last night was an uncomfortable watch, even at 2-0 up you knew it was all too possible.

Odd that by far and away our best performance of the season against average opposition and we still manage to try to £#%&! it up.

Unread 02-02-2024, 08:56 AM
Stickman

Have to say, a 3-1 there was just now way I could see us throwing it away. Mind blowing decision making and game management.

Unread 02-02-2024, 09:44 AM
Dr Stranger

I’ll take being shit at 2-0 over being shit at 0-0

Last night showcased the best and worst of us last night, but the good far outweighed the bad. Wolves are a good team at home and we completely dominated them first half. That’s the best we’ve looked all season
And the most sustained spell of playing well. We see how we want to play in patches and when the forwards are switched on, it’s very effective and good to watch.

The problem is when it’s a notch off, it all goes to pieces. It’s very dependent on everyone doing their job and we can’t seem to do that unless we have close to our best eleven

We have a very worrying feature of collapsing, but I’ll take having the bones of it in place and needing to work on game management rather than looking utterly toothless

There’s times this season where I felt we rode our luck. Last night wasn’t one of them. Wolves were handed a lifeline by the officials and we were comfortable until then. We just need to handle those moments better

I don’t buy this idea that we have no style of play. It’s there in moments and it’s why I don’t want us to give up on it

Unread 02-02-2024, 09:59 AM
Bunker Buster

We're our best at 2-1 down

Unread 02-02-2024, 10:36 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Yes we are. Any lead, at any time and we are absolutely vulnerable. We can never get a third and put the game to bed, it's like a mental block.

And the universe seems to conspire against us too tbf. Some god, somewhere is thinking "2-0 again...£#%&! that, I'm not letting them off this easy. Dodgy pelanty or sending off? Hmm.....".

We genuinely could've scored 9 or 10 yesterday.
we genuinely couldn't. and not through any conspiracy.

10h needs to sit them down and analyse our chances. two goals from smart interplay. ok, the second goal was a bit lucky, but garnacho's pass should be highlighted and shaw's cross was dangerous. I wouldn't really blame cass for his missed header or even bruno for the one he put past the post, but I would highlight hojlund's role in setting it up. we do well when players are unselfish, aware and decisive.

I don't think the attitude or approach changed at 2-0 particularly, but (a) we were losing the ball carelessly (shaw, especially); and (b) we had plenty of promising breaks that petered out because players stopped to have a think or tried something individually, with a low chance of success. garnacho, more than anyone. he, rashford and antony all seem to wait til a couple of defenders get back before attempting a pass or dribble. there was one break down the right crying out for a quick switch and garnacho held it too long before spazzing it. no excuse for not passing quickly or at least carrying it quickly.

and we were vulnerable because wolves have quick players who ran through the midfield and exploited the space on the right where dalot should have been, but never was. he contributes in attack, but he is always absent or too narrow in defence. we kept giving the ball away and we played backwards too often, which mostly put us under pressure further back, necessitating a hurried clearance, rather than being a base from which to attack.

if there's a conspiracy, it's 10h doing the whispering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
we completely dominated them first half.
this never happened.

Unread 02-02-2024, 10:42 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we genuinely couldn't. and not through any conspiracy.

10h needs to sit them down and analyse our chances. two goals from smart interplay. ok, the second goal was a bit lucky, but garnacho's pass should be highlighted and shaw's cross was dangerous. I wouldn't really blame cass for his missed header or even bruno for the one he put past the post, but I would highlight hojlund's role in setting it up. we do well when players are unselfish, aware and decisive.

I don't think the attitude or approach changed at 2-0 particularly, but (a) we were losing the ball carelessly (shaw, especially); and (b) we had plenty of promising breaks that petered out because players stopped to have a think or tried something individually, with a low chance of success. garnacho, more than anyone. he, rashford and antony all seem to wait til a couple of defenders get back before attempting a pass or dribble. there was one break down the right crying out for a quick switch and garnacho held it too long before spazzing it. no excuse for not passing quickly or at least carrying it quickly.

and we were vulnerable because wolves have quick players who ran through the midfield and exploited the space on the right where dalot should have been, but never was. he contributes in attack, but he is always absent or too narrow in defence. we kept giving the ball away and we played backwards too often, which mostly put us under pressure further back, necessitating a hurried clearance, rather than being a base from which to attack.

if there's a conspiracy, it's 10h doing the whispering.

this never happened.
I can't have this conversation again.

How do you actually watch that game (did you?) and don't admit we should have scored a bag full? What was it, a mass hallucination that only you sat out?

Unread 02-02-2024, 10:51 AM
Sheik JaBooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
this never happened.
Boy, you’re really sticking to this shit eh?

Unread 02-02-2024, 11:04 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik JaBooty
Boy, you’re really sticking to this shit eh?
Everyone else on Fred:

"£#%&!ing hell! Another easy chance, that should be 6-0!"

Jem, on his own:

"Nah, we should be 4 down. Their right back has had more space than Onana."

Fred:

""

Unread 02-02-2024, 11:12 AM
Sheik JaBooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Everyone else on Fred:

"£#%&!ing hell! Another easy chance, that should be 6-0!"

Jem, on his own:

"Nah, we should be 4 down. Their right back has had more space than Onana."

Fred:

""
Or, more disturbingly, they know we should be 4-0 up but preferred Wolves’ triangles.

Some people are just waaay too eager to appear clever and edgy.

Unread 02-02-2024, 11:35 AM
Finport Red

Have to say, I enjoy watching us a tad more when we’re 2-0 up away from home than 7-0 down.

Unread 02-02-2024, 11:39 AM
jem

it has £#%&! all to do with wanting to appear clever and edgy. wolves looked dangerous throughout - if you couldn't see how cunha and neto were running through us and that we kept inviting pressure and giving away possession in dangerous areas, I can't help you.

yes, we could have scored more, but we weren't clinical (cass and bruno) and, more typically, we wasted a lot of promising positions because our wide forwards make bad choices. as they always do. that's why we don't punish teams, not bad luck or bad refs.

as for the "wolves triangles", if you mean they play as a team and look coached... sure. add a goal threat to king louis style football and we'd look better.

Unread 02-02-2024, 11:40 AM
NedKelly

I feel like ‘edgy’ has lost its meaning recently. It used to be used for lads who’d post gore vids of Mexican cartel beheadings, or incel types who’d glorify sexual assault. I don’t think it should apply to someone who has an opinion on football.

Unread 02-02-2024, 11:42 AM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
this never happened.
Wow - thought a good nights sleep would have provided a bit of distance, re-appraisal perhaps contrition...

Wolves had some bright spots and we did cede possession to them frustratingly for about 10 mins after the first 5 minutes, they also made some good passes in the final third and looked OK.

However - no way can I stretch it to say they were anywhere near being the better team!

Unread 02-02-2024, 11:43 AM
Sheik JaBooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it has £#%&! all to do with wanting to appear clever and edgy. wolves looked dangerous throughout - if you couldn't see how cunha and neto were running through us and that we kept inviting pressure and giving away possession in dangerous areas, I can't help you.

yes, we could have scored more, but we weren't clinical (cass and bruno) and, more typically, we wasted a lot of promising positions because our wide forwards make bad choices. as they always do. that's wh6 we don'5 punish teams, not bad luck or bad refs.
What metric are you using though, some Guardiola/Arteta secret sauce that the rest of us are too £#%&!ing dumb to see?

You said yourself we scored two and should have scored more, so how many..4? How many did they score and how many should they have, because I didn’t see any. So by your own admission HT should have been at least 3 or 4 nil to us. How the £#%&! can you suggest a team that should be three, four, five goals up were inferior? It makes you look ludicrous mate….soz.

Unread 02-02-2024, 11:44 AM
shenwen

I thought Wolves were shit in the first half. We were walking through them. Improved second half when they brought on that winger.

Unread 02-02-2024, 11:48 AM
Sheik JaBooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I feel like ‘edgy’ has lost its meaning recently. It used to be used for lads who’d post gore vids of Mexican cartel beheadings, or incel types who’d glorify sexual assault. I don’t think it should apply to someone who has an opinion on football.
It’s not about the opinion, it’s about the motive behind it. Some people need to go against the grain, or consensus, because it implies a superior knowledge, something the ‘everyman’ supporter is just too thick to see. It’s an obvious, boring ego trip, nothing more.

Bit like suggesting Antony is good.

Unread 02-02-2024, 11:50 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik JaBooty
It’s not about the opinion, it’s about the motive behind it. Some people need to go against the grain, or consensus, because it implies a superior knowledge, something the ‘everyman’ supporter is just too thick to see. It’s an obvious, boring ego trip, nothing more.

Bit like suggesting Antony is good.
But it’s not edgy is it?

#makeedgygreatagain