United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Serenity Now

Important result, but a very poor display. Extremely fortunate to get the win.

Anyway, further to Siders's post above, I don't think it can be denied that we've seen a huge improvement in performance level over the course of the season. We've convincingly beaten some strong teams this calendar year, teams who generally humiliated us last season, and whom we didn't look nearly so good against in the first half of the season. We've conceded the fewest number of shots per game of any team in the league in the second half of the season, and the fewest number of shots on target too. Our total shot and shot on target ratios are 61.5% and 62.5%, respectively, during this period, versus 54.5% and 52.4% in the first half of the season, 53.6% and 55.5% last season, and 53.9% and 59% in 2012/13. Our possession rate has improved almost linearly - increasing from an average of 58% in the first half of the season to almost 65% in the second - and at 61.2% is now the highest in the league, and the fourth highest in Europe's major leagues (after Bayern and Barca, both between 69-70%, and PSG at 63.5%), while our passing accuracy is also now league best.

We still need to improve markedly if we're actually going to challenge for the title, but we have unquestionably been performing at top four level and - yesterday apart - have looked like a Van Gaal team, even when being beaten. If we can build on what we've shown over the past few months - and, provided we make some intelligent and timely moves in the summer, I don't see any reason why we can't - there's plenty of room for optimism.

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:12 PM
S/Side.Red

Interesting stats tbh.

De Gea has been great but him facing the fewest shots on target in the second half of the season is a good demonstration of the structural improvement. With that and the increasing domination of the ball, the next step is to get some proper footballers imo.

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:19 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Interesting stats tbh.

De Gea has been great but him facing the fewest shots on target in the second half of the season is a good demonstration of the structural improvement. With that and the increasing domination of the ball, the next step is to get some proper footballers imo.
And one in the eye for all the £#%&!sticks who were calling us a "one man team"

I mean we are but it's not Dave, it's Carrick

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Vedder

Big positive is the form against the top games

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Semantic Lisp

a lot of the passing yesterday was accurate but very poor, and the shots for and against stats can never convey just how dull a lot of the passages of play have been, or how many mistakes most of our matches tend to feature from both sides over extended periods

it's a good point s/side makes about the captains being lost from the squad, but by the same token the point about injuries this season and the perceived lack of quality in most of the young players ferguson attempted to bring through to safeguard the transition needs to include that in the defence Jones in particular, but also Evans, Fabio and Rafael were/have all been incredibly injury prone for half a decade. If you throw in Anderson as well, and even Welbeck for that matter, the injuries at United have played a major part in the stunted transition not just under this manager but over an extended period of time.

vidic, evra and ferdinand might all have been phased out a year or so before they eventually left together were it not for the constant injury cycle of those players. and it didn't just affect the young players either, it also affected the likes of Hargreaves, Valencia, Young, Carrick, Rooney even and so on - some of whom were potential captains. Last season RvP missed a load of matches, as did Fellaini fwiw. This season's injuries could have been partly due to the new training regime, but they are hardly anything new at United in recent years.

Unread 10-05-2015, 10:09 PM
utd99

I particularly enjoyed that moment when the ball fell to Valencia about a foot outside of his left hip and he still tried to clear it with his right. Never seen anyone do that before.

His left peg is like Ian Dury's arm.

Unread 10-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Important result, but a very poor display. Extremely fortunate to get the win.

Anyway, further to Siders's post above, I don't think it can be denied that we've seen a huge improvement in performance level over the course of the season. We've convincingly beaten some strong teams this calendar year, teams who generally humiliated us last season, and whom we didn't look nearly so good against in the first half of the season. We've conceded the fewest number of shots per game of any team in the league in the second half of the season, and the fewest number of shots on target too. Our total shot and shot on target ratios are 61.5% and 62.5%, respectively, during this period, versus 54.5% and 52.4% in the first half of the season, 53.6% and 55.5% last season, and 53.9% and 59% in 2012/13. Our possession rate has improved almost linearly - increasing from an average of 58% in the first half of the season to almost 65% in the second - and at 61.2% is now the highest in the league, and the fourth highest in Europe's major leagues (after Bayern and Barca, both between 69-70%, and PSG at 63.5%), while our passing accuracy is also now league best.

We still need to improve markedly if we're actually going to challenge for the title, but we have unquestionably been performing at top four level and - yesterday apart - have looked like a Van Gaal team, even when being beaten. If we can build on what we've shown over the past few months - and, provided we make some intelligent and timely moves in the summer, I don't see any reason why we can't - there's plenty of room for optimism.
Where are we on chances created per pass ?

Unread 10-05-2015, 10:26 PM
My Name is Keith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Look at this - MNIK quietly paying his dues and confirming he has lost his bet by PM. No public squealing or welching on a gentlemans agreement. Inspirational stuff.
Sly @#%&!.
Tbf, I think the beneficiary is deserving of more praise for what he then did with his winnings. It's gone to a good cause and I feel like I haven't lost. Win win.

Unread 11-05-2015, 01:13 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
As you have repeatedly reminded everybody for the last 6 months.
Yep. Clearly has an axe to grind. Every post is the same. Bores me to tears.

Unread 11-05-2015, 07:12 AM
jem

we may pass a lot and do well against top teams, but we're 4th and the main reason is that we pass a lot, but we have a pedestrian, lateral attack.

Unread 11-05-2015, 07:25 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we may pass a lot and do well against top teams, but we're 4th and the main reason is that we pass a lot, but we have a pedestrian, lateral attack.
it's also the reason we have to pass a lot

Unread 11-05-2015, 08:02 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
If you'd have suggested to people at the start of the season that we'd finish 4th and put in performances against city and Liverpool that we've not seen in years, they probably would have taken it. I know I would given the size of the re-building task that I've felt we've had dating back well into the fergie years.

That doesn't get away from the general poor quality of the football for so much of the season and poor form of so many so called top players with the resultant spin being that the form is entirely down to lvg (you) or entirely down to the players (siders). The truth rests somewhere between the two imv.

But there's no getting away from the injuries which have been unprecedented and ridiculously disruptive. Surely, we can't suffer that again next year? But I suppose that if we do then the finger has to point to the training regime and back room staff.

We need to have an impressive transfer window addressing the key and quite obvious weaknesses and I'd like to hear the right things about our youth set up to address something that has failed for way too long.

My only real concern is that I'll find the football too boring and not risk taking enough for my tastes. I hope that the shackles that lvg has seemingly put on the current group is the result of their quality rather than an outright direction.

Onwards and upwards.