United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Luffy

Mata is a key player and I reckon he'll be here for years. He can get close to 20 goals a season which is brilliant for a midfielder, albeit a bit of a luxury midfielder.

Only question is whether we stick with this 2 strikers and a no.10 behind long term as it forces us to play a diamond or 352 or variant of.

Unread 15-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
Not sure about this one. I think mata is vital to us. Would like them both not on for the other.
Why the hell would we need Strootman when we've got Daley Blind?

Unread 15-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
Mata is a key player and I reckon he'll be here for years. He can get close to 20 goals a season which is brilliant for a midfielder, albeit a bit of a luxury midfielder.

Only question is whether we stick with this 2 strikers and a no.10 behind long term as it forces us to play a diamond or 352 or variant of.
i expect gaal to drill the team to switch between different systems, maybe 2 or 3 times in any given game. that's the dream scenario for me and something United have had the players to do for a good while (with not being drilled to be able to do so being part of why the previous incarnation got stale together imo)

Unread 15-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
3 months to see how far we might be able to get with herrera and blind til the january window. imagine of they just get better and better from yesterday inwards

Unread 16-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i expect gaal to drill the team to switch between different systems, maybe 2 or 3 times in any given game. that's the dream scenario for me and something United have had the players to do for a good while (with not being drilled to be able to do so being part of why the previous incarnation got stale together imo)
That's the main scenario I could see mata leaving because like kagawa he can't do so well in other systems.

Only thing I'd say is if we got a Ronaldo or reus in then it'd be an upgrade. If you've got 3 or 4 players in your team who can beat one defender semi regularly then you become ridiculously difficult to play against. We have two in di Maria and januzaj right now. Mata doesn't really give us that same threat. But love his link up play tbh, helps those around him to play nice intricate football.

Unread 16-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
That's the main scenario I could see mata leaving because like kagawa he can't do so well in other systems.

Only thing I'd say is if we got a Ronaldo or reus in then it'd be an upgrade. If you've got 3 or 4 players in your team who can beat one defender semi regularly then you become ridiculously difficult to play against. We have two in di Maria and januzaj right now. Mata doesn't really give us that same threat. But love his link up play tbh, helps those around him to play nice intricate football.
comes down to LvG being as good as his word and not playing players out of their positions

yeah, if he goes with a 10 then it should be Mata, certainly rather than any of the strikers. that would be front tip of the diamond or behind two strikers. if he goes with strikers split long and a 4 or 5 in midfield then Mata is struggling to get in the side. assuming there's no need to ease the wage bill for a while then surely Mata should be retained at all costs with a view to the CL next season.

Unread 16-09-2014, 12:27 AM
S/Side.Red

I wasn't that impressed with Mata yesterday, but perhaps a slight role change into something like Silva at City will be good for him.

Though if another midfielder, be it Stootman or another, does come in I suspect he's £#%&!ed.

Unread 16-09-2014, 12:58 AM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Does this mean we get K-wag back too?

Can't see it going down this way. But I'm often wrong.

Unread 16-09-2014, 07:01 AM
MUFC One Love

Mata looked like a different player on Sunday with movement around him. Neville made a good point last night, Di Maria seemed to make all the team quicker.

Unread 16-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Aman27deep

Why will we swap Mata when he's our best #10? Stupid story.

Unread 16-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Midfield three of Herrera, Blind and Strootman allowing Di Maria to form the front three attack. FORMATIONS and OPTIONS all have to be taken into account regarding philosophies.

Unread 16-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Midfield three of Herrera, Blind and Strootman allowing Di Maria to form the front three attack. FORMATIONS and OPTIONS all have to be taken into account regarding philosophies.
don't strootman and blind operate in the same role though?
obviously good to have options of course.

Unread 16-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
He's a proper box to box midfielder. Strong, eye for a pass, goalscoring and intelligent. He should have been at the club years ago.

Unread 16-09-2014, 09:40 AM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Think we'll buy stroot and probably keep mata. rvp is the one who will be sent out to graze imo.
Couldn“t agree more. RvP looking sluggish, clumsy and awkard. Like Rooney, Mata is a busy bee and makes things happen.

Unread 16-09-2014, 09:55 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
He's a proper box to box midfielder. Strong, eye for a pass, goalscoring and intelligent. He should have been at the club years ago.
Herrera then?

Unread 16-09-2014, 09:58 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Herrera then?
We could buy another thirty midfielders and people would still say we've got no midfield until we buy Strootman, Schnido or Pogba.

Unread 16-09-2014, 10:00 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
I don't think so. Strootman isn't really a holder. De Rossi does that at Roma. He's more the middle man in a three.

Tbh I see Herrera in his position.

Unread 16-09-2014, 10:02 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
We could buy another thirty midfielders and people would still say we've got no midfield until we buy Strootman, Schnido or Pogba.
Vidal

Unread 16-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Tumescent Throb

amazing to see the forum is now moving on to wishing the likes of Mata and RvP away from Old Trafford

both great players and neither has been remotely @#%&!ish at all, and yet here it is - Mata is apparently shit and RvP is finished

Unread 16-09-2014, 10:04 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Vidal
yep, add him to the list.
Closed Thread