Closed Thread

Unread 12-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Switching Off

1.42 on this:

Unread 12-05-2014, 11:52 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I remember thinking after the first couple of months he was starting to underwhelm and thinking Anfield, highbury, that's where he'll make the difference, but he was disgusting in both those 3-1 poundings and don't even get me started on Maine road in December.

Tyler may be a dick but I'll never forget the line(paraphrased) "and what would Roy Keane have to say about a tackle like that in the Manchester derby" after Veron pussyfooted when the game was firing up. I was so excited by the signing and badly wanted it to pay off but I never took to him, thought he was a huge disappointment and was fairly upbeat when we sold him to Chelsea.
Word. A player that in many ways kicked off the 'sage' v 'normal/thick' fan split. The sages would literally be struggling to contain the sight of their semi's in their ill fitting trousers at the mere mention of veron whilst us normals watched him with the same dazed look on our faces that biz markie had in this interview with Westwood:

I thought he was shite - an overly harsh assessment partly because of the level of excitement that greeted him and my anger at the disappointment - the sage response of fergie not knowing how to get the best out of him was probably true to an extent but not to the extent of his shiteness for us.

Carrick is another one for me - loads of you literally have diamond tipped engorged #@&%!es for his tedious slow negative passing whereas I think he's 'alright' but nothing more. Again overly harsh but I just don't see what the sages see.

Happy to be stupid in truth.

Unread 12-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
He scored the winner at Anfield for Chelsea on the opening day of the season
No he didn't, Hasslebaink did

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

Carrick is another one for me - loads of you literally have diamond tipped engorged #@&%!es for his tedious slow negative passing
I'm pretty sure he's played more successful forward passes than anyone in the league over the last 5 years. More than anyone in Europe a season ago.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/mi...ser-in-europe/

He's definitely slow though.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:16 PM
andyroo

He was a great player. And they were all £#%&!ing idiots.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:24 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I'm pretty sure he's played more successful forward passes than anyone in the league over the last 5 years. More than anyone in Europe a season ago.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/mi...ser-in-europe/

He's definitely slow though.
I know, it's been pointed out to me before - hence the thicko label I've given myself.

I watch him closely though and he's grindingly slow - not simply his own speed but also because he deliberately slows the play down which is just

Possibly because he knows that the recipient probably can't do much with the pass if he made it apart from shin it to the opposition so I accept the point that the lack of quality around him is a major factor.

He can be excellent but too often for me, he's just alright.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:44 PM
puressence

probably the one player I wanted to succeed more than any .. was buzzing to fook wen he joined a wc player that everyone wanted .............the fact he didn't succeed is down to ferie ...............

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:48 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I had that blue top with Veron 4 on the back. I was 23 ffs.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:50 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
don't, I was everything I hate now about football and it's fans.

Unread 12-05-2014, 12:50 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Everton at home in his first season. Looked like we’d signed the best footballer on the planet that day

£#%&!ing adored the 2001-02 season tbh. Abysmal ending (Leverkusen ffs) but it was great buzz following that side.

Glad he won a title with us. Stay frosty Seba
Loved that season - even though we had a few shocking results against our big rivals.

Villa away in the Cup, 3-5 at WHL, those back to back tough away games during the run-in at West Ham, Leeds & Chelsea won all 3, goals galore.
Convinced we were playing the final in Glasgow Leverkusen. £#%&!ing hell.

Veron's goal to put us 1-2 up away at Derby ffs

...should have won us the League before that Christie @#%&! equalised late on.

State of our midfield these days:shakehead:

Unread 12-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Stickman

Quote:
He scored the winner at Anfield for Chelsea on the opening day of the season
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Loved that season - even though we had a few shocking results against our big rivals.

Villa away in the Cup, 3-5 at WHL, those back to back tough away games during the run-in at West Ham, Leeds & Chelsea won all 3, goals galore.
Convinced we were playing the final in Glasgow Leverkusen. £#%&!ing hell.

Veron's goal to put us 1-2 up away at Derby ffs

...should have won us the League before that Christie @#%&! equalised late on.

State of our midfield these days:shakehead:
Not convinced we were going to win it thy year at all, Liverpool home killed us (murphy) after going into the game on the back of ten straight wins. Arsenal were absolutely relentless come the end and Ljungberg couldn't miss, didn't they win 12 draw 2 of their last 14 or something?

Unread 12-05-2014, 01:14 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Not convinced we were going to win it thy year at all, Liverpool home killed us (murphy) after going into the game on the back of ten straight wins. Arsenal were absolutely relentless come the end and Ljungberg couldn't miss, didn't they win 12 draw 2 of their last 14 or something?
Larry at CB was a killer; we always appeared on the brink of disaster even during that run of victories. Played some brilliant attacking football though. The win in Deportivo

tbf, that Arsenal side were quality. Better than anyone involved in this year’s title race.

Unread 12-05-2014, 01:17 PM
believe

Quote:
Larry at CB was a killer; we always appeared on the brink of disaster even during that run of victories. Played some brilliant attacking football though. The win in Deportivo

tbf, that Arsenal side were quality. Better than anyone involved in this year’s title race.
went over four rows of seats when that Beckham goal went. Embarrassing as £#%&! as it was at my Mum and Step dads wedding reception in Cyprus.

Unread 12-05-2014, 01:30 PM
jem

:shakehead: not going to enter into a discussion about seba because the £#%&!wits know who they are.

now we've got fellaini. £#%&! me.

Unread 12-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Stickman

Quote:

By a £#%&!ing mile

Unread 12-05-2014, 01:39 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

:shakehead: not going to enter into a discussion about seba

Unread 12-05-2014, 01:43 PM
plopborsky

Unread 12-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Liu Jian

Best no.10 we ever had

Unread 12-05-2014, 03:00 PM
S/Side.Red

For me, Veron is easily in the top five most naturally gifted players Fergie worked with. Such a shame.

If he'd come to a Premier League and a United side that was five years down the line I think it could have been a different story. Queiroz could have been a big help to him too, when you read Fergie's book talking about how isolated Veron was in the dressing room.

If we'd signed a 26-year-old Veron in 2011 instead of 2001 he'd probably have been immense for us. Right player; right club; wrong time.

Unread 12-05-2014, 03:21 PM
n48

One of the greats whose talent was effectively stifled by the bullying thug from Cobh Ramblers.

Fergoz should've ditched Keane and built a side around Seba for the next few years. Imagine him and Carrick pinging balls to the likes of Ronaldo.
Closed Thread