United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-01-2018, 09:37 AM
sub three hours

Question Brian Clough?

Were his achievements greater than Fergies? Clough won two consecutive European Cups (in 1979 and 1980) with what would be regarded as an unfashionable club?

Also, does Fred think that in Cloughs later years at Forest, the club were too loyal to a manager who's methods no longer worked and which saw them relegated?

Did the game move on whilst Clough didn't move with it, where-as Fergie, it could be argued knew when to get out?

Unread 08-01-2018, 09:38 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
Were his achievements greater than Fergies? Clough won two consecutive European Cups (in 1979 and 1980) with what would be regarded as an unfashionable club?

Also, does Fred think that in Cloughs later years at Forest, the club were too loyal to a manager who's methods no longer worked and which saw them relegated?

Did the game move on whilst Clough didn't move with it. Where-as Fergie, it could be argued knew when to get out?
is this secretly about mourinho?

Unread 08-01-2018, 09:40 AM
no fun

Clough was old school

Would not have let kids have a shit in class time, nqat

Unread 08-01-2018, 09:42 AM
solidstool

European cup was different then with one team from each country. They won it by beating the likes of Malmo, Grasshopper, AEK Athens. That would be a piss easy Europa league group now.
The achievement was winning the league. For the English clubs who were strong at the time, following it up with a European cup was not as difficult.

Unread 08-01-2018, 09:45 AM
92ToBury

Quote:

Did the game move on whilst Clough didn't move with it, where-as Fergie, it could be argued knew when to get out?
I think you've answered it yourself. Fergie was achieving right up to the end rather than United loyally rewarding him for earlier work, like Wenger has been.

Fergie >>>>> Clough >> Wenger.

Unread 08-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

read the title & was worried something had happened to him.

Unread 08-01-2018, 09:50 AM
redhegemony

Unread 08-01-2018, 09:54 AM
kungfu cantona

Quote:

New to football pol?

Unread 08-01-2018, 10:09 AM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
read the title & was worried something had happened to him.

Unread 08-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Denis Irwell

Brian who?

You’ll be getting senility memes from the usual jcl joy boys who called Fergie a senile pisscan

Strived to be like lvg tbf

Unread 08-01-2018, 10:29 AM
andyroo

Senility might be a bit of a sensitive topic after Conte's little outburst

Unread 08-01-2018, 10:39 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
I think you've answered it yourself. Fergie was achieving right up to the end rather than United loyally rewarding him for earlier work, like Wenger has been.

Fergie >>>>> Clough >> Wenger.
Spot on 92ers.. absolute admiration for BC but Taylor was half of his success. Taylor the brains and tactician but Clough the mind, psychology and character of the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Senility might be a bit of a sensitive topic after Conte's little outburst

Not too sensitive in the London/national press - don’t give a shit about somebody being called senile but any mention of proven match fixing/compliance is ott and below the belt

Unread 08-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Cream

I wonder how the anti Mourinho gang would have taken to prime cloughie?

Unread 08-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Mr_Ed

Should include Peter Taylor in this discussion... compare and contrast with how Clough did with and without him as his assistant.

Unread 08-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Played better football under Johnny Carey

Unread 08-01-2018, 11:00 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
They would have been fine I reckon. You only have to see how Van Gaal calling a journalist "fat man" was hilarious but Mourinho calling out Conte as a cheat is immature to see that.

Unread 08-01-2018, 11:00 AM
shenwen

Two league titles with Derby and Forest was impressive. But ultimately just two league titles and a few league cups. The European Cups don't impress me for reasons outlined above. Malmo ffs.

Unread 08-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
They would have been fine I reckon. You only have to see how Van Gaal calling a journalist "fat man" was hilarious but Mourinho calling out Conte as a cheat is immature to see that.
Absolute classic tbf

Shame about the football

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Two league titles with Derby and Forest was impressive. But ultimately just two league titles and a few league cups. The European Cups don't impress me for reasons outlined above. Malmo ffs.
Context Shenners, context.

They were far less than Leicester when BC took over

Genuine lej

Unread 08-01-2018, 11:09 AM
andyroo

Personally prefer the job he did on Leeds

Unread 08-01-2018, 11:11 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Personally prefer the job he did on Leeds
Wasn’t there long enough to do a job