United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-11-2008, 03:56 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella118
Agree it was alright when it had a point, but believe its had it day.

it needs to be stopped, its coursing murder to me knees
And the "that's why we're champions" shite can £#%&! off with it too.

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Rossi the Red

Heard the "Viva Da Silva" chant on Saturday...class!

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Smeggs

where i am in the stretty upper it is always sung as a response to people having been told to sit down by stewards, i know the history and it is a terrible song, but i think it is standers pissed off at the stewards that start it up where we are.

god knows i've had my problems this year so i'm treading carefully from here on in.

When previously i was stood and fighting a running battle with the @#%&!s behind us (who really should £#%&! off to north or south) i tend to sit down when this is sung just to make a point to them behind who use this song to stand up for thier 20 seconds a game before returning into their silent slumber (they barely even cheer when we score).

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Don Stuarte

£#%&! me what a bunch of JCLs

We started singing it in 93 when the "Go West" song was redone by the Pet Shop Boys and it kind of coincided with stewards throwing people out for standing up. So whoever said it is a "£#%&! off" to the stewards is correct

The tune got hijacked by every tom dick and harry and so did the stand up sentiment.

Now all you new reds are mocking it trying to be cool.

Well you arent - it was relevant in its day, maybe not so much anymore but it certainly wasnt a "muppets chant" 15 years ago.

Sitting down and being champions was a new thing to us back then

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:15 PM
The Return of JC

There's much worse chants.

It's not great, but at least it gets a response.

'That's why we're champions' is a Chelsea chant and shouldn't be heard from us.

Viva Ronaldo is shite (regardless of what you think of him).

But 'take me home' takes the biscuit. Cringeworthy. Truly horrible. The way it's carted out at kick off to generate atmosphere while allowing everyone to stay sat down and just clap along like berks is just revolting. Hate it.

I hate anything that creates a 'carnival' atmosphere: Cheering player line ups, excited PA announcers, flags etc...

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Don Stuarte

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I hate anything that creates a 'carnival' atmosphere: Cheering player line ups, excited PA announcers, flags etc...

You miserable sod

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:23 PM
stella118

I wore bermuda shorts 15 years ago, wouldnt wear them now. Although I think that the chant is £#%&! but its the amount of time its sung that really pisses me off

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:25 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stuarte

You miserable sod
Seriously. Save it for for kids' parties. The PA announcer is getting worse (stop saying 'theatre of dreams': Gayest nickname ever!). We're one step away from:

PA Announcer: "And who are we hear to see?"

Crowd: "Manchester United!"

PA: "IIIII caan't heeear yooou..."

Crowd: "MANCHESTER UNITED!"

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:26 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
There's much worse chants.

It's not great, but at least it gets a response.

'That's why we're champions' is a Chelsea chant and shouldn't be heard from us.

Viva Ronaldo is shite (regardless of what you think of him).

But 'take me home' takes the biscuit. Cringeworthy. Truly horrible. The way it's carted out at kick off to generate atmosphere while allowing everyone to stay sat down and just clap along like berks is just revolting. Hate it.

Viva Ronaldo was great fun last season. Twirling bar scarfs along to it...brilliant

Take Me Home was good, but the club have ruined it. That version they play before hand is horrid. It's hardly ever sung during the games now and a lot more infrequently at aways. Can't be a coincidence?

Tbh I like most United chants - shame some of the older one's aren't heard as often. However, "My Old Man" has to be the exception. It's just £#%&!ing crap. Waste of a great tune too. I much prefer singing about Matt Busby’s Aces

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Smeggs

i agree he is terrible. any piped in songs are shite too.

have you heard what the do at arsenal now? they do that he says the christian name and you (the fans) say the surname thing. think it came from germany. cringe city. lot more clueless idiots since they went to 60k imho

i live for aways, have done for years.

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggs
i agree he is terrible. any piped in songs are shite too.

have you heard what the do at arsenal now? they do that he says the christian name and you (the fans) say the surname thing. think it came from germany. cringe city. lot more clueless idiots since they went to 60k imho

i live for aways, have done for years.
We did that in Europe for a few years. Bayern did it and tbh it was only any good with Salihamidzic.

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:33 PM
My Name is Keith

I'm with you all the way JC.

"Do you wanna go farrrsssssssster?"

"Let me hear you SCREEEEEEEEEEEAMMMM if you wanna go farrster"

"I still can't hear you"

And Take me home is dreadful - it's one of the main things that drove me away.

FACT

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Don Stuarte

Quote:
Seriously. Save it for for kids' parties. The PA announcer is getting worse (stop saying 'theatre of dreams': Gayest nickname ever!). We're one step away from:

PA Announcer: "And who are we hear to see?"

Crowd: "Manchester United!"

PA: "IIIII caan't heeear yooou..."

Crowd: "MANCHESTER UNITED!"

Yeah that sounds awful.

Flags and cheering the names are ok

I think we all get a little bit confused on what is acceptable at the match.

If you see loads of flags and cheering players names in a Brazil v Argentina game in the Maracanã - I dont think it would make you think "shit kiddie crap" it would and should make your hairs stand on end.

My opinion (as worthless as it is on here) is that too many decent lads spend too much time being cool and distancing themselves from the maga@#%&! bag carriers with painted faces.

At the end of the day, there are topper reds than all of us. We are all a JCL compared to someone else, someone always sings more and lives closer to OT etc etc.

Im happy to hear a noise most of the time - even if its a bit crap.

If I hear a song I hate - I belt out a better one - I dont stand there shaking my head looking moody like a lot of others do.

Im at the stage where I hate 85% of the crowd and I feel that I have more in common with some of the away following than my supposed "comrades"

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Smeggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Viva Ronaldo was great fun last season. Twirling bar scarfs along to it...brilliant

Take Me Home was good, but the club have ruined it. That version they play before hand is horrid. It's hardly ever sung during the games now and a lot more infrequently at aways. Can't be a coincidence?

Tbh I like most United chants - shame some of the older one's aren't heard as often. However, "My Old Man" has to be the exception. It's just £#%&!ing crap. Waste of a great tune too. I much prefer singing about Matt Busby’s Aces
i like 'my old man'

i also love it when somebody on thier own just bellows 'From....the....banks...of......the.............ri ver.....ir................well....

and then the masses join in. class

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
FC sing Sit down for the champions.....

Like tongue in cheek.....they all stand!...

then they sit....looks dead funny.
Think that was one match about two years ago.

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:47 PM
The Watcher

Quote:

My opinion (as worthless as it is on here) is that too many decent lads spend too much time being cool and distancing themselves from the maga@#%&! bag carriers with painted faces.

At the end of the day, there are topper reds than all of us. We are all a JCL compared to someone else, someone always sings more and lives closer to OT etc etc.

Good post.

Bar Scarfs > Black Coats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggs
i like 'my old man'

i also love it when somebody on thier own just bellows 'From....the....banks...of......the.............ri ver.....ir................well....

and then the masses join in. class

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:48 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

My old man is good, mind you most of the crowd at OT now are mongs anyway

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
We did that in Europe for a few years. Bayern did it and tbh it was only any good with Salihamidzic.
I don't know, I quite liked Mehmet-SCHOLL!!!

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:54 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:

Yeah that sounds awful.

Flags and cheering the names are ok

I think we all get a little bit confused on what is acceptable at the match.

If you see loads of flags and cheering players names in a Brazil v Argentina game in the Maracanã - I dont think it would make you think "shit kiddie crap" it would and should make your hairs stand on end.

If I hear a song I hate - I belt out a better one - I dont stand there shaking my head looking moody like a lot of others do.

Im at the stage where I hate 85% of the crowd and I feel that I have more in common with some of the away following than my supposed "comrades"
Ultimately, I agree. Some noise is better than no noise and with the atmosphere the way it is sometimes, one can't be picky.

I didn't know that Arsenal thing either. How horrible. I've only just recovered from the tacky poppies on their kits last week.

I've made an agreement with myself regarding OT atmosphere. The day we play music after we score is the day I hang up my moody black coat.

Unread 19-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Smeggs

[quote=The Return of JC;1255335]Ultimately, I agree. Some noise is better than no noise and with the atmosphere the way it is sometimes, one can't be picky.

I didn't know that Arsenal thing either. How horrible. I've only just recovered from the tacky poppies on their kits last week.

I've made an agreement with myself regarding OT atmosphere. The day we play music after we score is the day I hang up my moody black coat.[/QUOTE]

very scary that.
Closed Thread